I'm Becoming a Fabulous Atheist

Tools    

Employee of the Month
God built the amusement park -- and the rides are meant to kill. Laugh and play while you can, but everyone leaves on a stretcher.
I have watched Final Destination 3 , so I know exactly what you are talking about.

Don't like it? Doesn't matter. You can't do anything about it. That's just God's exit strategy, so laugh and play, laugh and play.
Okay, now I got your point of view. You are a hedonist. I have to respect that. But while all the laughing, playing and dancing, guys and girls like you should also respect, that there are other strategies for dealing with the balance. That there is no perfect way, is understood.

Unfortunately, he said them in the most insulting manner possible, based huge chunks of his "arguments" on generalizations, and completely lashed out when anyone pointed out any inconsistency to him. But other than that, yeah, awesome dude.

The liking 42nd had nothing to do with what he said in this thread.

He didn't put it over in the most elegant or thoughtful way, and certainly not in a way that was supposed to change anyone's miind, but I agreed with the sentiment of much of it.

TBH, I haven't really read much of what's in the thread past the initial reason for it. My eyes have glanced over it, but my mind wanders off whenever debates like this go on and that applies to both sides. As neither side is going to change their mind regardless of what they hear, it's just talking for talking's sake. Nothing wrong in that but, on this subject at least, it's not for me.

You ready? You look ready.
He didn't put it over in the most elegant or thoughtful way, and certainly not in a way that was supposed to change anyone's miind, but I agreed with the sentiment of much of it.
No, he sounded like an idiot. He took everything...overemphasized it...and then mocked it for being absurd/crazy.

"So like, there's this batsh!t loony idea that an *invisible force* known as gravity pulls every object towards the ground at the same speed."

"Some crazy dude once said that *nothing* is faster than the speed of light."

"In some places they teach students this insane idea that there's this thing known as an "atom" that everything is made of and *nothing* could possible be smaller than it."

Hell, I could go on for ages mocking soundly established scientific "facts" using his reasoning process, unless he believed that every single explanation for the way the world operates was false and absurd...then I have little reason to listen to him.

TBH, I haven't really read much of what's in the thread past the initial reason for it. My eyes have glanced over it, but my mind wanders off whenever debates like this go on and that applies to both sides. As neither side is going to change their mind regardless of what they hear, it's just talking for talking's sake. Nothing wrong in that but, on this subject at least, it's not for me.
What he did was talking for talking's sake. There are many of us here that, while we wouldn't have a major paradigm shift, would be inclined to *reason* and *listen* to others to help form *better* opinions...even if those opinions are ones we already hold. One of the strongest ways to bolster your own argument is to understand another.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I like 42nd and I hope he comes back. He uses the same gung-ho approach in his movie reviews as he does in his other arguments (and I think that is the most appropriate word right there). I really believe he's coming from a position of love (love of family and country and horror movies) and not of hate when discussing everything. I just don't think he's been to a forum for very long where people try to challenge other's opinions without becoming offensive. I believe his heart is in the right place and he's actually had a personal experience which he hasn't shared with us, so I try to consider that when I have a disagreement with him about something.

Its funny because all these post all these opinions are simpily that. "OPINIONS" No one knows the answers of the how or why or whatever. I never talk about 2 things religion and politics because there's always going to be a fight.

Nothing implies something.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Its funny because all these post all these opinions are simpily that. "OPINIONS" No one knows the answers of the how or why or whatever. I never talk about 2 things religion and politics because there's always going to be a fight.
Let's try and stay clear of epistemology. That's a whole mess in itself.

Okay, now I got your point of view. You are a hedonist. I have to respect that. But while all the laughing, playing and dancing, guys and girls like you should also respect, that there are other strategies for dealing with the balance. That there is no perfect way, is understood.
Hedonist? I don't go around thinking of myself as a hedonist, although it might be kind of true.

If he does come back I bet it'll be under a new username... We can never feel safe again.
If I decide to come back i won't need to hide. Nothing for me to feel ashamed about, as having a 21st century mind while surrounded by dark ages fairyland dwellers is a badge of pride.

And unlike you I don't need masquerade or illusion to get through life. And it's not very big, clever, or moral sniping at someone behind their back.

But really it's hard to enjoy a place stocked with delusionists with laughable egos (who fail to see the farce in acting all high and mighty while at the same time believing in The High and Mighty Invisible Fat Pixie Gnome) and delusional George W. Bush fanboys who lie about having found a religion they follow that doesn't hate Homosexuals...But what's one more delusion.

Oh yeah....Another bunch of 'Religion of Peace' practicionists have blown up (and thus got their celestial virgin harem) a 100 fellow 'Religion of Peace' practitionists while they were carrying out a 'Religion of Peace' practice.
Another moral, grounded, tolerant example of religion in the 21st century.

Blame McDonalds!

Perhaps I'll get back to film gossip. As I miss some of you good people.
Everyone else can feel free to put me on ignore. Have some neg rep to encourage you.

Or perhaps I should consult a burning bush first before making my decision...Afterall I wouldn't want to look foolish.

And 'Sexy Celebrity'...I don't think people blame God (or question him) because someone who decided to climb Mount Everest fell of it!!
I think they blame and question God over things like babies born with cancer and children who walk 10 miles to get water to drink to end up having their eyes eaten by a pointless, worthless, God created parasite once they get there.

Or....I don't know. Something like God's personally chosen 'special representatives on Earth' raping alter boys in their care and the other God's personally chosen 'special representatives on Earth' covering up for them while humbly praying to their God and spitting in the faces of those dirty Homosexuals and upperty women.

And in fact I see The Pope (that enlightened ex-Nazi) has criticised the UK's Equality Bill that upholds rights for Gays and women. Religion...the moral compass.

But hey...What do i know? I just like talking for talking's sake.

If I decide to come back i won't need to hide. Nothing for me to feel ashamed about, as having a 21st century mind while surrounded by dark ages fairyland dwellers is a badge of pride.
Damn I'm good. I said this. I said you weren't the type to hide behind another user-name, and that you'd let it be known that you were back. That we'd all hear you when you return.

Perhaps I'll get back to film gossip. As I miss some of you good people.
Yes, avoid religion and politics. I know I do. That ***** pisses me off. Besides, I've actually listed the last 15 movies from the horror list. No, no more sense then, but I'm thinking about it.

p.s. You know you miss my groovy self.

Have some neg rep to encourage you.
I was neg repped recently. Can you believe that *****? Sweet little olé me. Work, work, work, and I get zapped.

Or perhaps I should consult a burning bush first before making my decision...
It's a singing bush, but Chevy Chase shot and killed it. I think it was Chevy. If it wasn't him, it was Steve or Martin.

I've tried to be patient...but my threshold for morons is low.
You must find it very hard to live with yourself then.
My sympathies.

My cheap parting shot.

You must find it very hard to live with yourself then.
My sympathies.
Can I ask you one thing? Of course, this is a rhetorical question to illustrate your massive mound of stupidity...so there will be no need to answer.

Where in the hell have I stated any belief in God, ghosts, the afterlife, Moon landings, the JFK assassination, gnomes, pixies, unicorns, Bush's favorite color, and etc.? The last time I checked...because I know you haven't...I have stated no such opinions on anything. When you accuse someone of holding a belief, when they have not stated either way, and then ridicule them for it, it's the summit of asininity.

Again, I don't expect you to understand this, even though I did my best to S-P-E-L-L it out for you. Oh well, walls don't make very good conservationists.

Can I ask you one thing? Of course, this is a rhetorical question to illustrate your massive mound of stupidity...so there will be no need to answer.

Where in the hell have I stated any belief in God, ghosts, the afterlife, Moon landings, the JFK assassination, gnomes, pixies, unicorns, Bush's favorite color, and etc.?

Where in the hell have I stated YOU did?

Oh, by the way, if you still feel like illustrating my massive mound...feel free dear.