I'm Becoming a Fabulous Atheist

Tools    

Employee of the Month
Life on earth is about 3 and a half billion years old. 3 500 000 000. The oldest religious communities are only about 150 000 years old. Prehistoric rules came first. Maybe there is a greater being. Maybe there are more than just one. But for all we know right now, religion is more or less masked philosophy. If all the true believers would spend less time worships their gods and defends their beliefs, and more time trying to help each other and solves our problems, we all would be happy campers.

I don't know why I'm responding to this post, because almost nothing about it suggests that the author is even remotely open-minded about the subject, but I feel obliged all the same, so I'll keep it short and to the point.

I like how people who don;t believe in the magic pixie, the magic goat, the holy dwarf or the sainted hobbit...have to explain themselves and justify it!
Funny, I don't believe in any of those things.

Making up silly names for things you don't believe in doesn't, in fact, make them silly.

I don't believe in utterly unproven ( SHOW ME THEN....NOW....DO IT....ANY PROOF AT ALL....ANYTHING) supernatural sky fairies BECAUSE they are utterly unproven supernatural sky fairies!

If YOU truly think there is a great, invisible, supernatural being in the sky...and you then base real world laws, real world rules, real world crowd controlling doctrines, real world damning criticism, real world punishments and entire real world social ideas that influence the entire globe....YOU are the one who should damn well justify it, explain it and damn well prove your delusion!
Assuming that your definition of "proof" would involve something tangible, then what you're asking for is circular: you want physical proof of something that is not physical. It's a meaningless demand that is, by definition, impossible to fulfill.

Also, I don't believe God is "invisible" or "in the sky." You're mocking images that you yourself are assigning to religion. It makes no argument and contains no insight.

It's all farcical.
You 'believers' can't even ****ing well agree on WHAT to believe in!
Muslims fight other Muslims, Christians fight other Christians, Jews fight other Jews.
And all the above (and a damn sight more) fight each other when not fighting themselves.
And Americans fight Americans, and British people fight British people, and people who believe in the same systems of government fight each other, too. This doesn't make believers any different from any other person in this regard.

Notice, however, that all the groups you listed do agree that there is a God, and they do have some basic agreements about God's nature. I'm sure you're perfectly aware of how difficult it is to get large groups of people to agree about something; isn't it interesting that the overwhelming majority of humanity has agreed on that one thing?

'Believers' once believed in tree gods, earth gods, muscle-bound gods on clouds with winged horses, sky gods, water gods, greek gods, roman gods, African gods..blah blah.
Now ALL THOSE gods are classed as primitive superstition (even sinful!!!) while your just as unproven, just as ****ing BARMY and wacky religions are classed as great wisdom and moral truisms!

Fickle bunch ain't yer.
No, because humanity is not a collective entity, thus it's not "fickle" when someone 1,000 years ago believes one thing, and I, today, believe something else, being that we're two different people.

You want to believe in the power of The Force? Fine. Do it away from any public space or influence though and keep it to yourself. Knock yourself out!
But the day you lock up, kill, punish and condemn real people in the real world...Some of us have a problem with your beliefs!
And we also have a problem when you say that this religious murder, torture, servitude, damning, judging and threat should be excused, 'understood', and even ****ing respected just because it's a religion and use that status as a shield (the darker the skin of that religion the stronger the shield as well I notice).
That's...borderline racist. Perhaps without the borderline. Makes me wonder who would've given you rep for that post, frankly.

Regardless, notice that for all your complaints about judging, your entire post is filled with it. In other words, it's not okay for religious people to make judgments, but it's okay for you to do so to them. Because you think they're wrong, yes? In which case, there's no actual difference between you and them aside from your beliefs and theirs. You're not making an actual point that differentiates yourself from religious people any more than your varying levels of belief already do.

Also, for all the railing on about reason and evidence, which of these two posts (your post, and this reply) seems more methodical and coldly rational, and which seems more hot-blooded, angry, and emotional? Isn't that kind of odd?

You make your own church. A church is not a building. It's a gathering of like-minded people who agree to try to accomplish something "pure". I sure hope I don't sound like a Nazi here...
I don't think you sound like a Nazi. But I am kind of curious as to what you're getting at here. The Church, indeed, is the people, and not a mere building. But it makes sense for them to congregate, no? And it's sensible to have a building expressly for such purposes, too. In semi-response to MattJohn's scare quotes around the word "holy", nobody's saying that bricks and mortar are holy; it's a symbol, made holy by its use. If you believe anything can be holy, I see no reason why a Church would have to be otherwise.

All that said, I'm not going to pretend that all the extracurricular activities so many Churches insist upon are a crucial part of Christian fellowship. I like them fine, and I have no problem with them, and it makes sense to me that like-minded people like to gather and share each other's company. But in some Churches is seems to supplant the worship itself in terms of importance, which I've never cared for.

Sorry for all the posts; they had to be kept fairly separate. I'll combine the last two, though:

Perhaps God began his creation of the world very enthusiastically and with the best intentions, but somewhere down the road he made a mistake. A mistake which resulted in his paradise becoming the world we live in now. A world which, beyond the shadow of a doubt, contains goodness, which advocate his existence, but also contains elements which seem to disprove him. And if we assume that God is almighty and all knowing, what is the reason for the latter? A priest can argue that God works in mysterious ways, but isn't that just because we don't dare or can't explain it?
I don't think of priests as the people to turn to with those kinds of questions. Some, sure, but generally I think of them as a guide when you've already accepted it, and need guidance within that framework. If you want answers, go to a theologian instead. I can recommend many, some of which you've surely already heard of.

Granted, if you accept that God made a mistake, then you accept that he isn't almighty and all knowing, and the hypothesis becomes very weak. But personally I find it easier to accept a flawed God, than a God who knowingly put evil and suffering in the world.
This, of course, is where Free Will comes in. The belief is not that God put evil and suffering in the world, but that He put autonomous beings in the world, which will inevitably result in evil and suffering at times.

Life on earth is about 3 and a half billion years old. 3 500 000 000. The oldest religious communities are only about 150 000 years old. Prehistoric rules came first. Maybe there is a greater being. Maybe there are more than just one. But for all we know right now, religion is more or less masked philosophy. If all the true believers would spend less time worships their gods and defends their beliefs, and more time trying to help each other and solves our problems, we all would be happy campers.
A few scattered thoughts:

1) In many cases, the worship is what causes some people to want to do the things you're talking about, in which case you can't necessarily parse it out that way.

2) Believers would find less reason to spend time defending their beliefs if people spent less time attacking them.

3) The last statement above can be made to apply to any group that every does anything that is not fundamentally crucial. You, typing that post. Or any militant atheist who would rather blame religion for the world's problems than try to fix them. It's not a statement that really applies to religion, specifically.

You want to post like me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KasperKristensen
Granted, if you accept that God made a mistake, then you accept that he isn't almighty and all knowing, and the hypothesis becomes very weak. But personally I find it easier to accept a flawed God, than a God who knowingly put evil and suffering in the world.
This, of course, is where Free Will comes in. The belief is not that God put evil and suffering in the world, but that He put autonomous beings in the world, which will inevitably result in evil and suffering at times.
You can't say that all suffering comes from free will. Someone didn't decide to create natural disasters, diseases or the like.

You can't say that all suffering comes from free will. Someone didn't decide to create natural disasters, diseases or the like.
I'm not so sure about that. Golgot and I actually touched on this in another thread, and it's way too involved to reproduce easily, but I think an argument can be made that these things are the natural and cumulative result of free will, all the same. We don't know a lot about what causes some of these disasters, either.

That said, even if one were to operate under the assumption that these were not the result of free will, I'm not sure they make a great argument against God's goodness, anyway; if we're accepting, for the sake of argument, that God exists, then even natural disasters pale in importance to what comes later. The argument is sort of a catch-22: it's an argument that's predicated on the horror of suffering AND the existence of God, yet the existence of God undercuts the argument by lessening the relative importance of things that happen here and now. Kinda funny that way.

It sounds glib, to be sure, and I won't pretend it's comforting to anyone who experiences loss. I fully expect to be somewhat revolted with this line of thought at some point in my life, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Blah blah...blither.
I quite frankly am more than happy to keep myself to myself. In fact all non-believers are.
Until people who believe in sky fairies (I'll call a ****ing non-entity any damn thing I want THANKS) dictate how REAL people in the REAL world live (or die).
THAT'S the difference.
I would leave all you religious delusionists to yourselves...but you see you just can;t leave other people alone can you?

Women, Gays, no religion...all are targeted for simply existing, whether or not they keep themselves to themselves or not.
Again...the difference.

The day the Pope does not stand up on his (oh so very rich) balcony and and declare to a global audience that Homosexuals (who have done nothing except EXIST) are a big a problem to the world as Global Warming....I'll change my view.
Until then....

And you see I'm not brainwashing children in my own school that Homosexuals, for example, are wrong to exist and are dangerous to society.
Religious people are though...based on something none of you can show any proof of whatsoever.
THAT'S a major problem for any rational person.
That's a major problem for evolution of any 21st century society.

I call that something to get ANGRY about! As it's real.
It's there to be seen, heard and experienced.
Unlike your Son of God guy who came back from the dead, floated up to paradise and moves in mysterious (indeed) ways.
Ways I notice that are very handily not able to be experienced by any of the senses.

And yes, i want proof.
And you know why?
Because as soon as you stone a person to death, arrest them, persecute them, threaten them, execute them and publically condemn and damn them...you better have proof of that 'being' your doing all that in the name of!
Is that unreasonable?

When real stones don't hit real bones, or when real words from real mouths don't insult and condemn real people (God does hate them 'fags') you can believe in any fantasy la la land Jedi Hobbit, Buddha, Allah, L Ron, Christ you like with no proof of any of it.
But while real flesh and blood people are persecuted (verbally, physically, psychologically) because of something that you can;t even show exists...YES we have a damn problem.
And yes you'll all be called on it.

Stop your real world bigotry and hurt connected to your supernatural belief though...and quite frankly I could care less.

Racist! Yeah....Sure...Whatever.
Seeing as the most violent, globally destructive (and globally active) religion of Islam is given a free ride like no other belief on Earth and seeing as "RACIST" is shouted out by ****ing idiots towards those who challenge it...i would say my description holds.

The day Islam (mostly Black, Asian, Arab...notice though no one race there) is given half the flak Scientology (basically white, western) is, I'll eat my shoes.

And as for people fighting people...Yes...people fight people.
But its kind of strange how those people who have supposedly found a wise, peaceful and oh so ****ing right religion actually kill more people (even those people who have also supposedly found the same wise, peaceful and oh so right religion) than anyone else.
When a Muslim plants a bomb in a mosque of another Muslim for example....i think my point about this and all religious belief (let alone supposedly morally superior belief- LOL) is made.

But hey! You don;t like my views Yoda? Fine. Simply keep your views out of real world society and the life of its real people and you'll never hear from me or my kind again.

Making up silly names for things you don't believe in doesn't, in fact, make them silly.
No you're right. The magic goat is not silly at all.
Despite its silly name.
It is of course just as real as the far more sensibly monikered 'God', 'Allah', 'Buddha', 'Krishna'. I guess it's all in a name!
Poor magic goat.

I'm not so sure about that. Golgot and I actually touched on this in another thread, and it's way too involved to reproduce easily, but I think an argument can be made that these things are the natural and cumulative result of free will, all the same. We don't know a lot about what causes some of these disasters, either.
Sorry but that sounds extremely vague and I just can't buy it.

Despite its silly name.
It is of course just as real as the far more sensibly monikered 'God', 'Allah', 'Buddha', 'Krishna'. I guess it's all in a name!
Poor magic goat.
Did you just say that Buddha is a God?

Blah blah...blither. Typical Yoda on his podium.
Do us all a favor and just omit pointless insults like this. I don't know what you think they add to your arguments or the discussion, but in both cases, the answer is "nothing."

What you say should have force through the soundness of its reasoning; if you have to make what you're saying appear more forceful with useless insults, I think it says something about the strength of your argument.

I quite frankly am more than happy to keep myself to myself. In fact all non-believers are.
Wow, this isn't even close to true. I've spent countless hours arguing with skeptics, and some of them are pretty live-and-let-live (so, I should note, are many of the Christians I've known). But I've met plenty of militant atheists, too, who go well out of their way to proclaim their non-belief and antagonize religious people repeatedly, to the point at which their lack of belief is a huge part of their identity. The idea that "all" (all!) non-believers are otherwise is absurd.

Also, I don't recall anyone judging you in this thread, but you still felt the need to jump in to rail against religion. So how's it work? If you think this is going on anywhere in the world, by even a single religious person, you feel you have an open invitation to rant about it unprompted, even when no one is actually bothering you?

Until people who believe in sky fairies (I'll call a ****ing non-entity any damn thing I want THANKS) dictate how REAL people in the REAL world live (or die).
THAT'S the difference.
I would leave all you religious delusionists to yourselves...but you see you just can;t leave other people alone can you?
I didn't say you weren't allowed to say silly things like "sky fairies" -- I said it was pointless, and contained no argument or insight. And that's true. Defiantly asserting your right to do so doesn't change that, because that was never disputed.

Women, Gays, no religion...all are targeted for simply existing, whether or not they keep themselves to themselves or not.
There's a difference between having a disagreement, and "target[ing]" someone. I'm not going to defend people who wield their religion like a club; they can't be defended. But those people, despite what you've probably persuaded yourself of, are not the entirety of any religion. They're just the loudest. You're trying to use the worst religious people to represent all of religion, which is completely fallacious.

The day the Pope does not stand up on his (oh so very rich) balcony and and declare to a global audience that Homosexuals (who have done nothing except EXIST) are a big a problem to the world as Global Warming....I'll change my view.
Until then....
I'm not Catholic. I'm not going to defend the Pope, because he doesn't speak for me. If he thinks homosexuality is some sort of major problem, I think he's wrong. I don't know what argument you think you can make against religion in general by targeting individual statements by religious people. See above for my general response to such things.

I call that something to get ANGRY about! As it's real.
It's there to be seen, heard and experienced.
Unlike your Son of God guy who came back from the dead, floated up to paradise and moves in mysterious (indeed) ways.
Ways I notice that are very handily not able to be experienced by any of the senses.
Except that some people, a couple thousand years ago, say they saw exactly that. You don't believe them; fine, but that's what they claim, and thus nobody's saying it's something that is not "able to be experienced by any of the senses."

But regardless, you're sidestepping the point: your senses are physical. You're demanding physical proof of something which doesn't claim to be physical. As I said before, that's circular.

And yes, i want proof.
And you know why?
Because as soon as you stone a person to death, arrest them, persecute them, threaten them, execute them and publically condemn and damn them...you better have proof of that 'being' your doing all that in the name of!
Is that unreasonable?
You're subtly changing your argument. Your original statement was about believing in things without proof, not killing people without proof. Nobody's saying that we should stone people without physical evidence. And you'll notice, for example, that in America at least, Christianity is very common, but is not the basis for our entire legal system. Nor should it be. But should religious people be allowed to disagree with things on account of their faith? Of course.

Racist! Yeah....Sure...Whatever.
Seeing as the most violent, globally destructive (and globally active) religion of Islam is given a free ride like no other belief on Earth and seeing as "RACIST" is shouted out by ****ing idiots towards those who challenge it...i would say my description holds.
Once again you say one thing, it is disputed, and then you defend not your original statement, but a modified version of it.

Saying that you think Islam is given too many allowances for the transgressions of its followers is not necessarily racist, but that's completely different from "darker skinned religious people are more violent." The way we say things matters, and says something about us.

The day Islam (mostly Black, Asian, Arab...notice though no one race there) is given half the flak Scientology (basically white, western) is, I'll eat my shoes.
Scientology is too absurd and narrow to receive the same kind of treatment as Islam; it's too much of a joke to be taken seriously enough to be condemned.

And as for people fighting people...Yes...people fight people.
But its kind of strange how those people who have supposedly found a wise, peaceful and oh so ****ing right religion actually kill more people (even those people who have also supposedly found the same wise, peaceful and oh so right religion) than anyone else.
Okay, where's your proof of this? Show me that religious people kill more than other people.

When a Muslim plants a bomb in a mosque of another Muslim for example....i think my point about this and all religious belief (let alone supposedly morally superior belief- LOL) is made.
Why would that make your point? People do insane and horrible things with or without religion. Christianity, for example, does not purport to relieve mankind of its sinful nature, only to account for it, and hopefully redeem it. Absolutely no point is made by showing religious people sinning, because I don't believe any major religion disputes that, or pretends it will fix it.

Despite its silly name.
Poor magic goat.
All in a name? No, but they matter. If they didn't, you wouldn't feel the need to use them.

My point remains: making up silly names for these things is pointless and does nothing to advance anything you're saying. It is not clever or relevant, and adds nothing to the discussion. It's a waste of time and words and, I promise you, it does nothing to help your cause. Quite the opposite.

Sorry but that sounds extremely vague and I just can't buy it.
Well, it is vague because, as I said, the whole thing is a little too involved to just reproduce here. But that wasn't the entirety of my argument, anyway; in the very next paragraph I explained why I think the argument against God's goodness is shaky even if one concedes that natural disasters are truly "natural."

Well, it's difficult reading him, but I liked some of the things 42ndStreetFreak said, so I positive repped him -- since Yoda was wondering who would even rep him.

Now, I would like to explain, at least a little bit, about why I've changed my mind.

First of all, I found a new book to read, as I always do -- There Is a God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind, by Antony Flew. Haven't read it all, but it's pretty fascinating.

Second, call me crazy, but it's a matter of personal choice, faith and belief in evidence of God that I think has been revealed to me... the kind of stuff that makes a believer seem crazy.

Here was the big kicker -- I've already mentioned that my cousin died a few weeks ago. I talked about it in The MoFo Support Group.

I think he's made contact with the family to tell everyone he's okay.

How do I explain this without sounding really nutty? I'll be vague - this is the internet (not that that's stopped me before). I won't transform any atheists here, unless you take my word for it -- he sent a message and the message was a passage in The Bible (which shocked me). Everything about the passage was shocking and related to my cousin and his death, especially when it was translated in a more traditional manner of speaking.

Believe it or not, I used the pink & black leather Bible that I picked up for myself when I was dating the church jerk that drove me to atheism when he left me depressed and dead spiritually. But that was only used in the beginning of this God Spoke To Me drama (though, it wasn't God, it was my cousin).

You could easily discount me and dismiss me as grieving, needing reassurance, etc. I might do the same if it was someone else. And I'm not... 100% sure that it was a real message... but I'm more inclined to believe it is based on the circumstances. At first, I was really, really moved by it -- hence, why I made the decision to talk about my change the other day. At this time, though, the impact has lessened and sometimes I do wonder about it and worry that I could have been wrong... that maybe my cousin isn't existing somewhere else.

But this is not the first time that I've had an experience like this, although... this time it was pretty incredible.

I'm sure that dark days will come again and I'll be skeptical... but I have reminders and with that I have hope. I may always have God.

Well, it is vague because, as I said, the whole thing is a little too involved to just reproduce here. But that wasn't the entirety of my argument, anyway; in the very next paragraph I explained why I think the argument against God's goodness is shaky even if one concedes that natural disasters are truly "natural."
Just so I'm sure what you were saying:
Your point was that natural disasters and diseases doesn't really matter because the victims of these have an eternity of bliss awaiting them? I'm not trying to be antagonistic or anything, just making sure I understand.

Did you just say that Buddha is a God?
No...I simply named (along with that poor magic goat who is of course to be taken so seriously despite his name) another sky fairy that people like to think exists and force upon the lives of everyone else.
So smiley the **** outta that.

No...I simply named (along with that poor magic goat who is of course to be taken so seriously despite his name) another sky fairy that people like to think exists and force upon the lives of everyone else.
So smiley the **** outta that.
And why is Buddha a sky fairy?

Scientology is too absurd and narrow to receive the same kind of treatment as Islam; it's too much of a joke to be taken seriously enough to be condemned.
Oh boy! Irony alert!
Although I doubt you'll ever see it.

Yeah...Scientology is SOOOO absurd. Not remotely to be taken as seriously as all those other 'proper' beliefs. Those oh so rational ones.

Next they'll go to even greater heights of absurdity and waffle on about
72 virgins in paradise up for grabs,
Coming back from the dead,
Global creation in a week,
Egyptians and dinosaurs going for walks together,
Reincarnation,
Talking bushes
Parting seas by waving staffs about,
Boats that can take examples of every animal in the world and still have room for a sunbathe,
Instant cures for lepers
Instantly multiplying foodstuffs
And invisible beings judging us all for liking dick, having breasts and not believing in invisible beings!

And then Scientology really would be very different from any other beliefs and far too absurd to be taken seriously...I see your point.

I'm still confused as to why Buddha is a sky fairy...
Well if sky fairy is too hard for you to get your head around you can substitute it for any of the following or any other bullcrud you want to describe a supernatural being who ponces around on clouds...

Pink tamponono, blue sparkly, one legged dwarf in a tutu who lives in a yellow haze light, purple headed mountain balloon of yaboo.

Whatever.

I still like sky fairy though.
Oh, and that goat of course. But hey, that's my silly rational mind for you.
Evolution aye!? What a curse.

Well if sky fairy is too hard for you to get your head around you can substitute it for any of the following or any other bullcrud you want to describe a supernatural being who ponces around on clouds...
Could it be you've just confirmed your ignorance? Buddha is not a god, and I take it that's what you mean by "ponces around on clouds".

Could it be you've just confirmed your ignorance? Buddha is not a god, and I take it that's what you mean by "ponces around on clouds".
Really? Am I ignorant about the physical characteristics of things that don't exist?
Oh no. How can I go on.

And is poncing around on clouds (or in clouds, or on top of mountains in the clouds) is the definition of a god is it!? Must have missed that one in the dictionary.

Wow! What about all those water gods and earth gods?
Is that why they are now classed as dumb ass superstition, because they stupidly forgot to move up to cloudland?
That explains it!

"darker skinned religious people are more violent."
LMAO! Who said that? I don't consider darker skinned non-Muslims more violent.
Hole in the accusation there I think, oh smug one.

But the pseudo-liberal idiots who defend Islam use the fact that most Muslims are not white (though all different races even then) to give it a free ride and to attack those who are against it. Fact. Far more than any other religion.

So yes, Hitler should have called National Socialism a religion and slapped on the tanning cream...Then all those so called liberals would have held his dick for him when he went to the bathroom.

And as for people 'seeing' zombie Jesus...I actually think that's just words in a religious book (the same book that has those parting seas, loaves and fishes multiplying by magic and Adam and Eve I might remind you).
Is Gollum real too!?? Wow.