7thson's Cooking Thread

Tools    

7thson. Jesus man, can I live with you?

Sure, just bring some food with you.

Interesting site that, thanks!
There's lots to be a bit confused about between American and British recipes. My American friend sent me over some of those measuring spoons for US baking cos we use such different terms.

Stuffed green bell peppers for dinner. Sometimes I will use red Bell peppers but they were a bit high priced today.

I use a dirty rice mix and add mushrooms to it . Seasonings are: Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Paprika, Onion, and Cayenne pepper (but only a dash) to give it a bit of a kick. Cheese is optional of course. The trick, imo, to making a great stuffed pepper is to blanch the vegetable in scalding water for a short time, usually 3 to 4 minutes, otherwise it just gets a bit soggy for my taste. Stuff the peppers and add toppings and put in oven for ten minutes. Sometimes I will add a corn on the cob to the dish but I think it goes quite well by itself.

I always make sure there is extra "stuffing" as a few of the kids like this by itself as a casserole, you can also add a little extra to the final dish to make it more fun.

Flash in the Pan fried Salmon on a bed of pasta and veggies with some jalapeño hushpuppies. I do not cook much seafood, but now and then I like it for a change. I love a good surf-n-turf too.

Thank you for the nice compliment FernTree.
I used to have two red Webbers.
I wore them out.
For turkeys, ribs, and stuff like that I use a "Green Egg."
It's a smoker/cooker.
Here's the link,

It took me some time to get used to it, but I can cook ribs for six hours, and they are moist and cooked from my egg.
Before, I used to nuke em on my regular grill.
I use my regular grill for, hamburgers, hot Louisiana links, hot dogs, chicken pieces, hamburgers etc.

These ribs finally came out good.

A green egg on it's stand.
I bought a stand.
Easier on the back.

First time I used the egg.
I was tense.

Meat tenderizer.

regular grill.

finger licken good!

Here is a picture of a turkey I cooked in the backyard last summer.
I insist on only using the oldest, cheapest, growth/steroid injected, birds I can find.

Did you deep fry it? If not, have you ever had deep fried turkey?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Tonight we hade made-from-scratch meatballs to top off some butter-flavored linguini with a side dish of Italian bread smothered in garlic butter and toasted. This is really a fun dish to make, but to get the meatballs just right it is time comsuming. The meatballs are ideally made from ground sirloin. Many recipes like to throw in veal or minced pork, but me I just love the nice deep flavor of unadulterated sirloin as far as the meat goes. Thyme, rosemary, basil, freash diced onions, and garlic are all added in "to taste" amounts. Throw in some bread crumbs and an egg or two and you have a great meatball. Somtimes I will use angel hair or regular spaghetti noodles, but I personnaly love the linguini the best, it is a nice middle ground. The trick to good pasta, imo, is when they are done perfectly you rinse them in cold water to prevent them from sticking because otherwise they still cook just sitting there, then you frugally add some olive oil toss it up and put them in a strainer on the top of a pot full of hot water. They stay moist and do not stick. It is a serve yourself type dish and it is great for leftovers (the meatballs make excellent sandwiches.)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
For Sarah's birthday sleepover last night, we made "Burmese Stacki-Uppi". I realize that Burma (Myanmar) is going through a tough time, but I didn't come up with the name or the recipe. Basically, it's a chicken and rice dish, but you walk through a line and follow all the directions, sorta like you're at a buffet. You start with a cup of steamed white rice, then put on a cup of chicken gravy, which we make with mashed-up chicken breasts and broth. Then, you layer on
chow mein noodles, sliced tomatoes, diced celery, more noodles, more gravy, grated cheese, crushed pineapple and toasted coconut (if you like that sort of thing). It's a fun and tasty dish, and even if you're on a diet, you can still eat it (perhaps slightly less-heartily) and not worry about gaining weight.

That sounds wonderful (except the coconut, but thats just me I know) and I would love to see a picture of this. The noodles sound like they make the dish original and also tasty.

Colour out of Time
Gonna catch up with a Chef friend and discuss Grits ... he will hopefully be able to point me in right direction for ingredients

I'll keep ya posted.

Slug I really dig that little fur ball matey ... Oh and good that ya finally have a beer, very important when tense

Did you deep fry it? If not, have you ever had deep fried turkey?
No.
Never had deep fried turkey, but I have definitely heard about it.
I think it's very popular down south.
I have heard the turkey melts in your mouth.
But I also have heard, the oil can be expensive, and you have to watch that somebody doesn't knock over the fryer.

Can't you just smell that boid?

This would make a good start to a mofo party/meal!
I'll eat anything just about that's fried.
Has anyone ever had...
  • a fried Twinkie?
  • a fried mind?
  • fried ice cream?

You should try this as a desert:

slice two oranges in little round parts, put them on a plate, chop up 4 dates and put them on the oranges. Spray the whole lot with cinnamon and orange blossom water. To finish it, serve it with yoghurt Try please

And do check my "art": Deviant

Colour out of Time
Has anyone ever had...
  • a fried Twinkie?
  • a fried mind?
  • fried ice cream?
No
Yes ... damn those mushrooms
Yes
Also Banana Fritters with ice cream is nice

Tonight boys and girls, I will dine on Skippy

In this form

Probably with Potatoe Salad that I'll fry up with the patties.

Actually I'm wondering if Australia is the only country that eats it's own Coat of Arms

Emu taste is like a gamey venison turkey ... Let me tell ya that a drum stick is more than one can handle

FernTree, you have scared me!! What I really wanna know is whether anyone has had the TurDuckEn (Turkey, stuffed with Duck, which is stuffed with Chicken). Something about it sounds scrumptious!

closest thing I've had to fried pastry is ...uh....Creme Brulee? Which is the one where they light it on fire in front of you?

Tonights dish: Sirloin steak, thinly sliced, after pounding the hell out of it with seasoned meat tenderizer. The key, I think, to this is when you "pound" you add Worcestershire sauce as you whack away. It sounds silly I know, but the deeply infused sauce made the dish. After preparing the meat you need to have a hot oven ready to go..about 425 to 450 degrees, use a top level rack like three from the top. After about only ten minutes take it out sprinkle it with salt and pepper and put back. I removed the meat in stages because everyone likes different levels. As I sliced the meat I let the rest cook, not long - just a min or two, and came out with a perfect counter-clockwise preperation of rare to well done. The noodles and veggies were seasoned and made the bed. Corn-on-the -cob and sauteed mushrooms finishes it off. This was an experiment that worked well and everyone here loved it. The presentation needed some help, but I am limited on my plates. Anyway this is a cheap meal that worked out great.