The issue of censorship

Tools    

The issue of censorship

Before i undoubtedly get banned again i wanted to address the ever present issue of censorship. First of all i am still a little unclear whether i was banned for using profanity or for disclosing a way to avoid censorship. If it was for the first reason, then who ever banned me does not apply the same standards to everyone, if it was for the latter, then all i can say is power to the people! I realize my post could have been construed as an open invitation to a swear-fest, but i think the members of this site have enough common sense not to do so, my intent was that those who do use swear words and prefer to express themselves in that fashion can do so without being censored. I did nothing wrong and the ban was to say the least an exaggerated course of action. Now about the censorship. My opinion is that either the owner of this site or the moderators are either amish ,mormons or new born christians because for the life of me i can't understand why someone would be so uptight about swearing. I am going to assume we are all adults here and most if not all of us have used profanity at least once in our life time. So why the appalled attitude when i actually used it and made sure everyone could see what i said ( i don't know about you, but those little asterixes annoy the hell out of me ). I would say because the whole thing reeks of hypocrisy. But lets assume the owners or the moderators really are amish or prissy clean uptight republican characters ( although the mod who banned me seems like a liberal ( as she showed us explaining her views on homosexuality ) which makes her a contradiction in terms , to be a liberal and yet enforce censorship). What is it with the ( american ) society today that makes the law makers and creators of a social standard think they can impose their views of morality upon the rest of us? What is morally acceptable to one person is not necessarily acceptable to the other, but in a true democracy everyone should be allowed to express their opinion in which ever way the want to, that applies to racists ,bigots and other people. The examples of the hypocritical censorship in the american society are numerous, from beeping swear words from «offensive» songs and videos, to banning certain categories of people from seeing certain types of film because of the explicit scenes of sex and violence, but at the same time making it acceptable to expose people to scenes of criminals being chased by the police,people getting killed or committing suicide on the 5 o'clock news . Their intended purpose would undoubtedly be to create a uniform generation of faceless kids that thinks the way they want them to think . The other reason is to give out an impression of the american society being this role model for moral perfection, which we all know couldn't be further from the truth. Democracy? Freedom? Rethink those terms please or use them with caution. Cursing is a normal way of expressing yourself and i do it, you do it, let's face it , everyone does. It serves to express a certain emotion or to clarify it in ways no other words really can. The great James Joyce mentioned the nasty word twice in Ulysses and in the 1950's J.D.Salinger stirred up quite a controversy with «The catcher in the rye» and the mention of the phrase «fu.ck you». It was revolutionary. The society at the time was horrified and many were ready to burn the books on a bon fire like in naci germany or the middle ages. Now those book are widely considered to be classic works of literature. But that was over 50 years ago. We would like to think that we have evolved since then and that we have become a much more accepting,understanding, liberal society. But censorship still remains. Many accomplished and award winning contemporary authors use swearing, for example the wonderfully imaginative and brilliant Iain Banks ( the author of «The wasp factory») is no stranger to words like fu.ck or sh.it, not to mention godd.amn. And yet does that diminish the beauty of their works or their literary language and expression? I would think not, if anything it makes it even more beautiful and gives it a wonderful flare of reality. I would like to finish my little dissertation with a quote by Allen Walker Read : "Obscenity is an artificially created product and finds its strongest bulwark in those 'right-minded people' who preserve its sanctity by the hush in their own usage and by their training of the young.... When one refrains from using the stigmatized words, one is not ignoring the taboo but is actively abetting it."

Now please share your opinions, i will be reading them.....

In case anyone was wondering, this is adidasss.

That said, adidasss, you've effectively rebutted yourself already; as you've pointed out, Cait is not a conservative. Frankly, I don't know what she is, but whatever it is it doesn't seem to be wholly contained by any slice of the political spectrum. I'm the conservative, actually, and though not Amish, Mormon, or what most people would call "born-again," I do ask that people here, for the most part, refrain from swearing, with possible exceptions depending on (but not limited to) potential provocation, context, and whether or not the member in question is in good standing.

I do not, however, see any hypocriscy, nor can I even begin to explain how silly it is to invoke Nazi Germany simply because you're not allowed to swear on a privately owned website that has made it clear it aims, by and large, to be at least somewhat family-friendly. If you feel better painting yourself as a martyr, you're welcome to try, but I'm not buying it.

In the spirit of openness, I'm leaving this thread open for other members to reply and/or ask questions, if they wish.

Originally Posted by Adi Dasler

Now please share your opinions, i will be reading them.....

Learn how to make paragraphs, among other things.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
The defense that profanity is common place in the real world holds no ground in regards to justifaction for using it on this site. This may be the internet, you may be physically disjointed from the person you're talking with, but that is by no means an invitation for a lack of civility.

This is the internet, yes. We are adults, yes. Regardless of what you may think, this site is run with no more degree of censorship than you'd find anywhere else. Breaking out with profanity is just a lack of common sense.

This is still a forum. Walk into any movie club on the planet, made up entirely of adult members, start cursing in people's faces and you will be walked right back out.

It isn't censorship. It is simple decency.

Sad to see you go, btw.

personally, I find it disturbing that someone would re-register twice just to continue a pointless debate. I'm taking no stance on censorship, or anyone's views, but just pointing out that you lose the debate anyway, "Godwin's Law".

Originally Posted by OG-
Sad to see you go, btw.
I'll second that. Behavior problems notwithstanding, he was at least technially capable of holding an interesting, reasonable conversation, even if it didn't always happen in practice. Still, intelligence can't be a subsitute for level-headedness.

Originally Posted by Eyes
you lose the debate anyway, "Godwin's Law".
Heh...I was gonna say the same thing. Real men allude to communism.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Heh...I was gonna say the same thing. Real men allude to communism.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Susan
in this society, you have the right to do as you please, no matter what it is,

just be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions
Agreed. The post that got him banned, like he said, was not meant maliciously, but it was purposely breaking the rules to show others how to do so as well. If he wants to break rules because he disagrees with them, that's fine. But the rules he broke are the rules we all agreed to follow when we joined - and when one breaks the rules, one terminates that agreement.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by OG-
Sad to see you go, btw.
Ay. This has all been a big shame.

Originally Posted by susan
my two cents
sure, but throw in today's taxes and inflation...

Originally Posted by Adi Dasler
i am still a little unclear whether i was banned for using profanity or for disclosing a way to avoid censorship.

Originally posted by Me

Originally posted by You under the username, adidasss

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

If you push buttons, sometimes something gets turned off. Love ya Cait.........

The internet has no censorship so your long post is rather pointless, but this forum does have a standered of decency, and in my view this site is run fairly.

Originally Posted by Tea Barking
The internet has no censorship so your long post is rather pointless, but this forum does have a standered of decency, and in my view this site is run fairly.
Agreed

District B13
This has alot to do with my insufficient understanding, but why was he re banned?

Although he continued to argue on about a point that is probably never to be spoken here again, why not let him do what he will with this current name and see if he changes.

Shouldn't he be given the chance?

I got for good luck my black tooth.
He was banned not his user name. It makes no sense to let him back in just because he changed his name. Maybe upon further consideration he can strike up a deal with Yoda if it is decided he can change, but it is just too soon. Only once has such a concession been made and I am sure it would have to be approved by caitlyn too, as Yoda respects and stands by his moderators.

District B13
Good point, and this is a forum board. The doings of the moderators are not my business, I can inquire, but far be it from me to instruct on any level, even as miniscule as yoda's height.

Keep in mind, I'm not knocking yoda, yoda is a pimp. A really, really, short pimp.