Cya later guys

Tools    

Originally Posted by Yoda
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but this sounds like a somewhat subtle attempt to recast your previous bannings into some sort of martyrdom. If so, I'd have to say it's nothing short of revisionism. Sometimes we all want to say exactly what's on our minds. But it's not always fair or appropriate, even if it's understandable.

All you have to do is worry about what bothers you, but it's my job to worry about what bothers other forum members, and that includes John and SC, and anyone else who might've made an insensitive remark without realizing just how close to home it would hit for someone else. Their remarks may have been thoughtless, but they were not malicious.
I understand where you are coming from. But its stil a grey area in terms of legitimate posting. Thats why we need moderators..so they can judge between what is appropriate and not appropriate. I wonder what the other mods think of this...did you consult them?? If not...how are we supposed to be sure that YOU made the right decision. This is a collective forum, no one person should decide solely what they think is appropriate and not appropriate.

I'm not contesting your authority, i'm just saying the strength of your decision would be much geater if the other mods were in agreement.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Hmm...are you going on again about your, "I hate Israel" thread? Yes, it's too bad that a lovely little hate thread was deleted on this movie forum. Poor you.

Let's move on. M'kay?
Please don't start. Cmon now, that was not what I was referring to.

*EDIT: not that im trying to cause trouble but reading lordslaytan's comment again makes me realize that 1.) it was a blow below the belt 2.) a bit malcious

dont you think yoda? Or am i just playing the victim here.

Originally Posted by Equilibrium
I understand where you are coming from. But its stil a grey area in terms of legitimate posting. Thats why we need moderators..so they can judge between what is appropriate and not appropriate. I wonder what the other mods think of this...did you consult them?? If not...how are we supposed to be sure that YOU made the right decision. This is a collective forum, no one person should decide solely what they think is appropriate and not appropriate.

I'm not contesting your authority, i'm just saying the strength of your decision would be much geater if the other mods were in agreement.
No, I did not consult them. And they often make decisions without consulting me, both because they know I trust them, and because it's not always realistic to wait for several different people to reply before taking action. And I'm quite well aware of why we need moderators, seeing as how I selected them and all.

You can never be perfectly sure that I (or anyone else) has made the right decision. And even if you are, someone else might not be. There will always be a gray area, and judgement calls will always have to be made, and there will always be someone who disagrees. The only way to stop that from happening is to not have a forum to begin with.

Originally Posted by Equilibrium
Please don't start. Cmon now, that was not what I was referring to.
I didn't start, bro...you did. That's the only time I remember your stuff getting wiped.

Listen...I have no problems with you at all...I don't dislike you at all, even though I may have then...but don't act like you've been persecuted...PLEASE!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I didn't start, bro...you did. That's the only time I remember your stuff getting wiped.

Listen...I have no problems with you at all...I don't dislike you at all, even though I may have then...but don't act like you've been persecuted...PLEASE!
haha okay okay..i never act like im persecuted ..but seriously man that israel comment you just made was a bit much....

whatever this thread isnt about me..so im done..no hard feelings LS..

No hard feelings bro...and I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers a bit. Well...kinda sorry.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Yoda
I wouldn't use that word, no. But it was very angry, and it wasn't really about Jackson, either.

If someone had said something like "I don't care whether or not Robert Blake murdered his wife," it wouldn't be fair for one of us who perhaps knew a murder victim to start guilting and shaming that person with our personal experiences and outrage. That's essentially what happened here. John's comment was mostly about our obsession with celebrities, and it's obvious that saying "Frankly, I don't give a damn if he did it or not" doesn't mean he doesn't care about molestation victims. He's guilty of inconsiderate phrasing, but not much more.

If you'd all like to judge for yourself I can post the content of the post, since it's become an issue. 7thson has said himself numerous times that he understands why it was deleted, though, so I'm surprised there's so much controversy surrounding the matter.
I asked because I wanted clarification of what will get posts deleted. It's happened to me too, because I got into a heated discussion with a mod, and he deleted his own posts (he said he was embarassed by them) and all of mine where I'd quoted him or responded. While I understand that flaming isn't desirable, I personally value discussion, even if it is heated. So rather than go to the trouble of putting my sense of things into words (which sometimes isn't easy, takes some time and effort) only to have them vanish, I wanted to know just where the line was.

I'm not second-guessing you Yoda, in case it sounded like that. I don't agree with Equilibrium's statement that this is a collective forum. It's your forum. But I think it's in your best interest to be as liberal as possible in what you allow to be said. You generally do, so I was wondering what was different in this instance. Thanks for the explanation. I can see where you're making the distinction, now.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I asked because I wanted clarification of what will get posts deleted. It's happened to me too, because I got into a heated discussion with a mod, and he deleted his own posts (he said he was embarassed by them) and all of mine where I'd quoted him or responded. While I understand that flaming isn't desirable, I personally value discussion, even if it is heated. So rather than go to the trouble of putting my sense of things into words (which sometimes isn't easy, takes some time and effort) only to have them vanish, I wanted to know just where the line was.
I can certainly understand that. It might help for me to mention that there are two ways to "delete" something; I can literally delete it, or I can "soft" delete it, which removes it from public view but preserves it as-is, so that it can be restored at any time. I almost never do a "hard" delete of anything but outright spam.

Deleting posts is very tricky, because if a controversial post is deleted, we almost have no choice but to delete the posts that replied to it (and the posts that replied to that), if only for continuity's sake; none of them make sense by their lonesome. In those cases, though, it's standard to use "soft" deletes. I think that's genuinely the best compromise, so that things can still be appealed, as it were.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I'm not second-guessing you Yoda, in case it sounded like that. I don't agree with Equilibrium's statement that this is a collective forum. It's your forum. But I think it's in your best interest to be as liberal as possible in what you allow to be said. You generally do, so I was wondering what was different in this instance. Thanks for the explanation. I can see where you're making the distinction, now.
I completely agree. It's a hard line to walk, but hopefully I'll learn from each instance. Thankfully things are very civil around here compared to most other places, so it's pretty rare that myself or any of the mods have to do anything, really. Just a testament to how great you guys are that a situation like this is such an event.

And, for the record, feel free to second guess me. I've invited a few members to do so on this specific matter, and as I said before, if you guys really want to see the post in question and judge for yourselves, I'm willing to post it, if only because being transparent about the decisions around here has to outweigh keeping the post itself off the boards, in my opinion.

A system of cells interlinked
First off, &th, I am saddened, disgusted and disheartened terribly by what you and your family have to endure. When I was 9, My friend and I were approached by an older man from the neighborhood that everyone in the hood knew to be kind and generous to others. He invited my friend and I in for some soda and cookies after we had done some yardwork for him. Four minutes later, The FBI broke tdown the door. They had been wacthing him for some time and three kids had come forward stating he has molested them. We were next, that very afternoon, of not for the FBI. My family and I did a couple years of counseling after that, and the neighborhood was shaken badly, as no one saw it coming, and it turned out he had molested more than a dozen young boys. ****ing freak.

I despise these people, more than most anything. They destroy families. You folks have a long road ahead of you, and my best wishes go out to you.

Next off, I again need to re-state that this forum is available to the public, but it is owned by Chris, and although he is for the most part an exemplary forum mod, I get the feeling he is put into these tough situations quite a bit, and it has to be tough. When all is said and done, he must weigh all the issues and decide how to best keep his forum running for the enjoyment of all involved. Many, many forum owners are complete ********, banning whomever they want, without any explaination. I think I have run across maybe one other forum that has a fair and considerate mod like Chris (Thanks 10k @ MovieJustice). I think Chris does a fantastic job, with amazing patience, I couldn't so it half as well. This site is blessed with many great folks that help keep this place in line. Occasionally the mods are going to irritate a member or two while trying to keep things popping along nicely. The job can't be easy with this many heads hanging out here 24/7.

When posts of mine get deleted, I try to put myself in the position of a mod, and consider why the post, or post-chain was removed. It is usually for a fair reson. And like many have said, 7th seems to be cool with this.

I for one hope 7th sticks around, as he has been here forever....

As far as 7ths post, I totally understand, as I tend to be (like Brian) one of the people around here who go off on people when I get passionate about something. I also tend to have trouble dealing with younger mindsets when it comes to serious political or family issues. If an event happened to me that happened to 7th, I would be tearing up phone poles and beating people with them. A vent session on an internet forum is minor in my opinion.

For the record: I do not have a problem with John, nor S.C. nor anyone else on here (well maybe Django ((yes it is you D.H.)) and S.B., but nothing major ).

I had a problem with what was said, not what was thought. I know that it was not directed at me. I am still quite stunned about what has happened and I sure I will be for the rest of my life. Nothing is more important to me than my family...nothing. What I said still stands, and although I was a bit too colorful in my wording intially, I cannot appologize for it.
Last night I was torn between going see this guy face to face and beating the hell out of him or drowning my thoughts in alcohol and clearing my head by thinking about anything else so I could cool down, I choose the latter. Well the first post I saw was the M.J. one. Needless to say the combination of the post and my mindset was a bit too much.

I do not want anyone on here to feel guilty about what happened to my daughter, but I guess I did want them to feel guilty about what they said., thats it. There is no big argument between me and Chris, he did what he thought he should and I said what I thought was meritted.

Now I will say that I said some things in a few P.M.s that I really do not recall other than they were probably stupid, at that point the night fades somewhat. I remember talking to Lords' a bit in instant messages and I want to say thanks for the support .

I know I have said I was leaving probablly a million times and I am going to take a break after today. I just hate leaving the air unclear. I will probably post a few more times tonight, but I have some other things to take care of in the comming days/months the first of which is to punish someone for what they did...hopefully I can do it the right way and this guy will go to jail. If not then I guess I will. It is funny, I have seen a lot of movies that deal with this problem and when the Father/Mother goes off the deep end I thought that in the same situation I might be more level headed. Shows what I know.

Oh yeah one last thing: Yoda, dude I made it look like me leaving was your fault, and although you sped up the timming a little I was gonna take a break anyhow so hopefully no hard feelings on your part.

I hope that this break is good for you, and that you come back soon. We don't need anymore names on the list of lost mofo's. Peace out 7thson.

I wish you and your daughter well 7thson… up until about 5 months ago, the majority of the cases I worked involved child abuse/molestation... so I know you have a rocky road ahead of you… and I hope that if you're not already, that you both soon will be in counseling… take care and remember there are people here who care…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)