I'm Buying A House!

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Good luck getting people to attend non-alcohol parties.
I know enough teetotalers. But I can always join a church and host some wild Bible studies.

Guessing a metal roof is fireproof (like slate & tile)? An ember the size of a fingernail in a gutter can burn your house down. Fireproof roof is good.
Yes, it is better protected against fires. Metal roofs are just all around better. Like any other house you do gotta stay on top of it (or would it be under it in this case?).

That’s a good thing?
The paper mill is good for negotiating. They smell pretty bad. From what I have been told.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The paper mill is good for negotiating. They smell pretty bad. From what I have been told.
Our only visit to Maine we didn’t know what the smell was until the locals informed us it’s the paper mills.

You’re okay with this?

You’re okay with this?
Yeah, I spend most my time indoors. And I've grown up near all sorts of weird smells.

About the only thing I can't stand the smell of is chicken farms and slaughterhouses.

Yeah, I spend most my time indoors. And I've grown up near all sorts of weird smells.

About the only thing I can stand the smell of is chicken farms and slaughterhouses.
Last paragraph, I presume you meant “can’t” not “can”?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Paper mills aren't as bad as a chicken slaughterhouse and maybe not as distinct as a yeast factory. But a paper mill scent carries for miles and miles and permeates. It's a weird soured smell that's not very sharp on the attack, but the lingering effect of it has it slowly come over you. Similar to a rotting egg in the wild. You pick up on that scent then you cannot seem to NOT smell it. Mornings can be weird here when the wind carries it our way.

We also have a chicken plant about 8 miles out. You only ever smell that on a warm day about half a mile from it. It's in and it's out. The paper mill, on the other hand, floats forever against physics!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

We're also buying a house, could be as soon as a month, or as long as a year.

Not trying to steal your thunder.
Didn't you just get settled into a house not too long ago? Or was that a rental?

We also have a chicken plant about 8 miles out. You only ever smell that on a warm day about half a mile from it. It's in and it's out. The paper mill, on the other hand, floats forever against physics!
Maybe since it is so close it'll just waft away down the river. We all need **** paper, tho. And I kinda like the idea of living near the oldest operating paper mill in the state. Been in continuous operation since 1891.

And it's a quick dash away (10-15 minutes at most) from the George Washington & Jefferson National Forests.

Paper mills aren't as bad as a chicken slaughterhouse and maybe not as distinct as a yeast factory. But a paper mill scent carries for miles and miles and permeates. It's a weird soured smell that's not very sharp on the attack, but the lingering effect of it has it slowly come over you. Similar to a rotting egg in the wild. You pick up on that scent then you cannot seem to NOT smell it. Mornings can be weird here when the wind carries it our way.

As a vegetarian nothing would make me live anywhere near a slaughterhouse of any animal. I would have nightmares.

I want to say that the smell of a paper mill is sulphur? Is that what the natives told us when we were near one? Is it sulphur?

We bought a house a little under 12 years ago. Seems like yesterday, though.
I lived in my little house (a rental) for 10 years, but it feels like I went to sleep there the night I moved in, and when I next opened my eyes it was the morning of moving day to move out!

Life is like a roll of toilet paper - the closer you get to the end, the faster it seems to go.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Seems like we always ended up near a paper mill when dad was driving.

I think even more important than the house itself is where it is. You want to love the neighborhood and the people who inhabit it. You want a place where you feel comfortable and happy to take a walk. Low maintenance is a big thing especially if you will have a long commute. If there are a lot of trees, gutter helmets are a good investment. I know you've been talking about a roof, but a deck and appliances only last so long as well. How much life do they have left? You don't want to have to take out a second mortgage to make repairs or replacements anytime soon.

Have you looked into prefab homes? They are generally built better and usually more affordable. Brand new can't be beat. You just have to find a place to put it.

The Adventure Starts Here!
We bought a house a little under 12 years ago. Seems like yesterday, though.
I would have guessed longer than that, since you initially bought it with your brother before you were married. And I've been in our "new" house now for almost ten years already.

Just got back from that one listing and yeah, it is way too far out and too big. Not easy to access. And you are literally looking down into the paper mill (I don’t have any problem with industrial areas, tho).

But it was a good property to show the realtor what I wanted. Next property I’m looking at is also an hour out, but it’s got 12 acres of land and is easier to access once you know the shortcuts. Could get the commute down to 45 mins.

Duplicate Account (locked)
Just got back from that one listing and yeah, it is way too far out and too big. Not easy to access. And you are literally looking down into the paper mill (I don’t have any problem with industrial areas, tho).

But it was a good property to show the realtor what I wanted. Next property I’m looking at is also an hour out, but it’s got 12 acres of land and is easier to access once you know the shortcuts. Could get the commute down to 45 mins.

Location, location...

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I’m usually inclined to say a moat is the most important thing to consider, but I guess these other people make some valid points.

What are you going to do with 12 acres besides pay higher property taxes? Are you going to be a farmer?