The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Some fun facts:

Jason Robards - 2 films (Magnolia, Once Upon a Time in the West. Maybe two more in All the Presidents Men & Philadelpia)
Kevin Bacon has not made an appearance yet.
Neither has Sidney Lumet.
Clint Eastwood has only appeared once for Unforgiven.
Only three comedies in Back to the Future, Young Frankenstein and Harold & Maude.
Yet four musicals have shown up (Wizard of Oz, Cabaret, Singing in the Rain & West Side Story).
Only three of my top ten has been mentioned. I predict only one more. 😕

Beautifully put. Even though I liked it, the way you felt after your first watch is more or less how I felt as well, so I'm sure that rewatching it will let it sink in far more.

As for the bolded part, this is the line from the film that most resonated with me...

So there you go. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! And yeah, I won't deny that I've struggled with Tarkovsky in the past, but I'd now rank him as a top 5 director. His films get more and more mysterious each time I watch them.

However, I do agree with him when he says, "So much, after all, remains in our thoughts and hearts as unrealized suggestion."
Yes.

I wonder if I'm alone in this but I rarely watch movies in one go. I frequently break it into sessions or I'd never get through movies. I actually had to do something like this when I did watch!
Now that I have two kids, I find myself doing this more often, whether it's intentional or just because I end up dozing off when I try to watch something at night. With a film as long as Seven Samurai, it's more intentional.

Kevin Bacon has not made an appearance yet.
Tremors was on my list. Can’t speak for anyone else.

*24 titles left and my bet is still in for my 3rd, 8th, 10th, 11th, and 20th; wonder how it'll turn out.

*so where is zerkalo?

Phew, for a minute there, I thought it was a sleeping GIF. That would have hurt my feelings.
it has been a very long long wait just to have it shows up xD I literally explode.

I prefer Solaris to Stalker but both are extremely worth while science fictions. Very surprised to see it place so high, but the art house mafia strikes

Yet to see SS

I always had the impression Solaris was as well revered as Stalker. I wonder if it has any chance of showing up. I hope so. That one was a tough cut from my list. The Kurosawa film on my list unfortunately won't be showing up this deep on the countdown.

Interesting pair of films. Two big foreign directors with two big and important films. Both deserve to be here for sure...

Seven Samurai has been a long time for me, but I remember loving it quite a bit. It was a very different kind of film for me back then but I was completely sucked in. Beautiful piece of cinema.

Stalker might be my favorite Tarkovsky. He’s my number one most frustrating director. I hate his movies as much as I love them. I feel left out yet always wanting to dig my way into his way of making cinema. It’s very unique and very different. It demands a lot and it’s not easy for me. But I’m continuously fascinated and I have basically made my way through almost all of his filmography... so I guess that’s saying something.

Some fun facts:
Only three comedies in Back to the Future, Young Frankenstein and Harold & Maude.
BTTF is really more of an adventure film. Anyway, more evidence that a MoFo Comedy list is necessary.

Some fun facts:

Yet four musicals have shown up (Wizard of Oz, Cabaret, Singing in the Rain & West Side Story).
Not that it changes the point, but Dazed and Confused? Also, an argument can be made about The Apartment (romantic comedy) or Toy Story.

Not that it changes the point, but Dazed and Confused? Also, an argument can be made about The Apartment (romantic comedy) or Toy Story.
Forgot Dazed and Confused was on this list. Very strange. Agree on it and The Apartment. Toy Story is fuzzier.

Now that I have two kids, I find myself doing this more often, whether it's intentional or just because I end up dozing off when I try to watch something at night. With a film as long as Seven Samurai, it's more intentional.
It's intentional for me as I almost never have 90 mins or more uninterrupted with a toddler. [Controversial warning] I also get through more thanks to watching on my phone... not giant effect spectacles obviously [/controversial warning]

I just finished Stalker and I think it will take a while to sink in. I was mesmerised by long sequences, and found my mind wandering in others. It's clearly an incredibly special film, dense and difficult, and the most thought-provoking piece of cinema I've experienced in quite a while.

My brain hurts.

I knew that was coming. Well, not that exact clip, but the one where he says something about watching things "on your f**king phone."
Never fails to make me laugh, the f-bomb comes out of nowhere

If you watch Seven Samurai on your phone I really can't be held responsible for whatever I do in response.
Ha! That was on the flat screen