Submit Your
2000s
List
The deadline for the Top Films of the 2000s list is days away! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Who plays softball or baseball?

Tools    

Oh man, I'm really feeling it today.

Both games yesterday were nine innings, and halfway through the second I was just crashing hard. Felt liable to boot a routine grounder if it was hit to me. Had a good game, turned a double play (nice way to start things off your first game with a new team), but everything from the knees to the quads to whatever other bundle of nonsense is in my legs was just feeling worn down. Two more today, too, though yesterday's games figured to be the toughest.

Count is at 83 games (some partial, but some longer than others) and over 300 at bats now. Should get up near 110 based on current pace.

Definitely have a lot of respect for the pros, they must be constantly playing tired or banged up, even with their obviously superior level of conditioning.

Do you have a stat nerd that keeps a book? The main team I played with for over 20 years had a guy that loved doing the stats and would give the book to the guy with the highest average at the end of the year. I have one book. It's corny but when we would have our parties and reunions it was a blast to look over the various books and see who led at what that year. One of the guys (Founding Father of our league which started in the 60's) would show up with books from the 70's. It's funny how some guys can remember specific stuff from games that were played over 40 years ago. Especially considering they were all on drugs back then.

Do you have a stat nerd that keeps a book?
You're talkin' to him.

Elaboration: for the two teams I actually run, I keep a full book and we record the games (they're all on YouTube), and we have an official site with detailed stats I enter from the book, including splits (based on outcome, field, day of the week, temperature, and a bunch of other stuff).

This year, I basically copied that setup so I could track all my stats across all leagues, even the ones I don't run. But that granular level of detail is just me-specific on those other teams.

The main team I played with for over 20 years had a guy that loved doing the stats and would give the book to the guy with the highest average at the end of the year. I have one book. It's corny but when we would have our parties and reunions it was a blast to look over the various books and see who led at what that year. One of the guys (Founding Father of our league which started in the 60's) would show up with books from the 70's. It's funny how some guys can remember specific stuff from games that were played over 40 years ago. Especially considering they were all on drugs back then.
Ha. Yeah, stuff like that is fun. These days it's easy enough to make a public Google Sheets spreadsheet and share it with everyone, so you don't need to geek out too hard to do this. Admittedly a relational database is pretty nerdy, though, but I can't help it. I'm going to think about this stuff anyway, so I might as well lean into it.

That's a fun tradition you guys had. I dig it.

"The forecast for today's game is cold ass wind. Back to you Bob."

I did the stats for a couple years when our guy retired. The first year I made a huge mistake and waited for all the games to be played rather than do them every couple weeks. Huge mistake. I probably had a computer, which could have made it easier, but I didn't use that for anything other than downloading music, malware and viruses, so compiling the stats - it was a lot of flipping back and forth.

Game #91 last night. We got stomped and I both a) played outfield and b) had to field about as many hits out there as I've ever seen an outfielder have to field. Just an utter barrage. Not as sore as I'd feared today, though.

That marks 28 games in August alone, my busiest month of the season so far. And if the rain holds off tonight I'll get one more in before we roll over into September. September should back off that pace a little with a few leagues ending, even though most are being replaced, because I expect fewer two-game days. I played about 20 in July and I think I'll probably end up just a little over that in September.

August is the first month where I played as often as a professional ballplayer would, though, and perhaps not surprisingly it coincided with a handful of new nagging injuries.

Update: games 128 and 129 last night, and I'm subbing for 130 tonight, and I should have at least three more after.

My goal was 100 games and 400 at bats, obviously I'll fly by both. I'm actually at 478 at bats, so I'm really hoping to get to 500. I should, probably at minimum, get another 14 or so, and if I can get a couple more and my last remaining team wins our first playoff game (or if I get to sub again/called to play in a late fall tournament), I should make it. It could be close though.

Sad it's ending, but also excited to finish, rest up, and finally be able to lift and stuff regularly in the offseason.

It's going to happen! One game left, and check it:

(I'm tracking my games in a database so I can analyze stuff later.)

I got invited as a last minute replacement the night before an out-of-state tournament and it got me another 10 ABs. The last three happened because we had a crazy comeback walkoff win in an elimination game, too, and given where I'm sitting now there's a really good chance that weird series of improbable events will be the reason I hit 500 plate appearances.