Clint Eastwood the director, appreciation thread

Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Clint Eastwood Finds Next Film in Terrorist Train Drama ‘The 15:17 to Paris’

Based on the true story, “The 15:17 to Paris” tells the story of three American soldiers who stopped a terrorist plot on a train bound for Paris. The film is based on the book by Anthony Sadler, Alek Skarlatos, Spencer Stone and Jeffrey E. Stern. Dorothy Blyskal will write the script.

The film falls in line with Eastwood’s recent interest in real life heroes following “American Sniper” and “Sully,” both of which were two of his biggest box office hits. Eastwood hopes to get the film underway sometime this year.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/cl...is-1202391346/

Look up Spencer Stone, he has survived a couple of incredible attacks.
There was more than the three american soldiers. The first guy who attempted to fight them was a random French banker dude who wanted to remain anonymous. Film should've been about him.

Yeah sorry this:

tells the story of three American soldiers who stopped a terrorist plot on a train bound for Paris.
never happened. Those guys sound awesome and brave and i'm so happy they were there to help stop it from turning into carnage, they are heroes. So are the rest though that aren't mentioned, there's arguably more from the banker who wished to remain anonymous and was the first to fight them he doesn't have any training (as far as i know) yet he jumped right in and thankfully everything worked out for the most part. Don't like the latter day Clint jingoistic sound of this, hopefully the article was just bad coz i mean it is Variety.

I'll wait to see how he tells the story. This is just a reference to the American heroes. Script is still not ready. The French can make their own heroic film. I'm guessing the Americans can tell the story just about their own part in preventing the train attack. Eastwood does have a track record for telling all sides of a story, with Letters from Iwo Jima.

I must confess that Eastwood never impressed me as an actor at the beginning of his career...I have never seen any of his spaghetti westerns from beginning to end and have only seen two Harry Callahan movies, but then I saw Play Misty for Me, which was also his debut as a director. This film proved that Eastwood understood the art of filmmaking and I think his work as a director has also made him a better actor. In addition to some brilliant direction, I think he offered one of his strongest performances in Million Dollar Baby. As a director, I think Mystic River was his masterpiece. I was even impressed with Jersey Boys, which I actually worried about when I learned he had been set to direct. And as far as an unsung underrated masterpiece is concerned, nothing touches Gran Torino. This is a Hollywood icon who has earned everything he has accomplished and I still see one more directing Oscar in his future.

I'll wait to see how he tells the story. This is just a reference to the American heroes. Script is still not ready. The French can make their own heroic film. I'm guessing the Americans can tell the story just about their own part in preventing the train attack. Eastwood does have a track record for telling all sides of a story, with Letters from Iwo Jima.
You have no problem with this being told as an Americans saved the day story when this wasn't what actually happened?

Could he not just make up a terrorist attack with say 1 American taking out 12 Terrorists?

It's even better than the fake story he wants to tell.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I must confess that Eastwood never impressed me as an actor at the beginning of his career...I have never seen any of his spaghetti westerns from beginning to end and have only seen two Harry Callahan movies, but then I saw Play Misty for Me, which was also his debut as a director. This film proved that Eastwood understood the art of filmmaking and I think his work as a director has also made him a better actor. In addition to some brilliant direction, I think he offered one of his strongest performances in Million Dollar Baby. As a director, I think Mystic River was his masterpiece. I was even impressed with Jersey Boys, which I actually worried about when I learned he had been set to direct. And as far as an unsung underrated masterpiece is concerned, nothing touches Gran Torino. This is a Hollywood icon who has earned everything he has accomplished and I still see one more directing Oscar in his future.
I love gran torino so much Gideon.

You have no problem with this being told as an Americans saved the day story when this wasn't what actually happened?

Could he not just make up a terrorist attack with say 1 American taking out 12 Terrorists?

It's even better than the fake story he wants to tell.
You don't know the script, yet.

The French guy didn't overpower the attacker.

Damien A.
He was terrified, but threw himself at the gunman and tried to wrestle the rifle away from him. He lost balance and fell to the ground, and the gunman fled from him. Train staff saw the commotion and thought it was just a brawl between the two men, according to The Telegraph.
Moogalian
The first heroic passenger to wrestle a weapon from the train gunman was named last night as Frenchman Mark Moogalian.

Moogalian is a 51-year-old professor at the Sorbonne, according to The Telegraph. He lives in Paris but is originally from Midlothian, Virginia.
Eastwood can focus on the Americans in the story, if he chooses. They were involved in overpowering the gunman.

The way I'm reading it, the first attampts did not subdue the gunman.

The guys that received the most recognition from several countries and the most injuries, will probably make up the bulk of the story.

You don't know the script, yet.

The French guy didn't overpower the attacker.

Damien A.

Moogalian

Eastwood can focus on the Americans in the story, if he chooses. They were involved in overpowering the gunman.

The way I'm reading it, the first attampts did not subdue the gunman.

The guys that received the most recognition from several countries and the most injuries, will probably make up the bulk of the story.

Of course i don't know the script, my problem is with the article you linked that makes it out as if three Americans saved the day when that isn't what happened. Damien A was some random banker and he went for it, who cares if he didn't overpower the attacker, guys a hero and played a major part in what happened. There was also:

Chris Norman, a 62-year-old British businessman living in France.He helped subdue the gunman.

An off-duty French train driver, who also helped subdue the gunman. His name has not been released.

Seems to me like there was three Americans and three not-Americans involved.

I'll call Variety on your behalf, let them know they've upset your yin and yang.
Not upset me. Just think if that's an accurate description of the movie it sounds stupid and jingoistic. Will probably be difficult to sit through.

Also it was you who posted the Variety article so lets not pretend like you thought it had no merit.
I was simply thinking about Eastwood's next project, not about the story details. Since you seem so interested, maybe you can read the book they mention, before the movie is made.

The film is based on the book by Anthony Sadler, Alek Skarlatos, Spencer Stone and Jeffrey E. Stern. Dorothy Blyskal will write the script.

Not upset me. Just think if that's an accurate description of the movie it sounds stupid and jingoistic. Will probably be difficult to sit through.
Agreed.

If a film is based on actual events, it's important to portray things in a balanced and truthful way. Otherwise it's very hard to watch for people who actually know and care about the facts.

If you want to tell a story that's quite different from what actually happened, you better come up with a more fictional approach and shouldn't call it a story that recreates actual events.

We'll see how this project goes. I'm inclined to trust Eastwood's instincts, but I could be wrong of course.