Coronavirus

Tools    

Yea but their healthcare system is a mess. Nothing good comes without a price.

At least they have a system. I'm not debating with you about how it's a mess. They have it. We don't. Their death toll will much less than ours. Check the stats they've even begun to bend their arc. We, are on a whole nother arc here tho.

I'm not sure what stats you mean; total cases? It isn't deaths, though: last I checked their deaths relative to population was close to ours, as mentioned previously. Also mentioned previously: some of the hardest-hit European countries, like Italy, have universal care.

People can support whatever system they want (and I'm happy to argue about the trade offs inherent in each, because yes, there are downsides to all of them, despite what advocates for any particular system will tell you), but there doesn't appear to be much to support the idea that universal care copes with this better than the alternatives.

At least they have a system. I'm not debating with you about how it's a mess. They have it. We don't. Their death toll will much less than ours. Check the stats they've even begun to bend their arc. We, are on a whole nother arc here tho.
Like Yoda was saying, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about current stats. I just wouldn't call healthcare from any of these systems free, because that's plain false. I also wouldn't call it a human right, because it depends on service from others who I would assume have rights as well. When my father, while we were homeless, got a collapsed lung and a concussion, he got immediate care and everything worked out. I don't remember what happened with the bills, but in Brazil with their universal system, it might not have turned out as well. I don't mind one bit chipping in for healthcare for people who really need it, and that's what I do. Unfortunately I'm also helping to pay for people who are living large and taking advantage. Not really arguing with you because America's system could be greatly improved upon and your general outlook is a noble one. I just think there are better answers out there somewhere.

Our government has now decided to make masks mandatory in shops and supermarkets here in England from the 24th of July. You will be fined £100 if you don't. Should be officially announced tomorrow.

Any tips for stopping fog on glasses? I've not worn a mask since lockdown started as the only place I've been inside is the supermarket, I have a collection of masks and each one fogs my glasses up...

Our government has now decided to make masks mandatory in shops and supermarkets here in England from the 24th of July. You will be fined £100 if you don't. Should be officially announced tomorrow.

Any tips for stopping fog on glasses? I've not worn a mask since lockdown started as the only place I've been inside is the supermarket, I have a collection of masks and each one fogs my glasses up...

We have mandatory mask wearing in my state, but people still don't wear them.

Buy some anti-fog liquid which is sold for snorkeling mask. It works real good.

Washing-up liquid (i.e. Fairy Liquid or the like) supposedly works well to stop lenses fogging.

Finally.

In America we make face mask requirements that have no teeth...I had to go out yesterday and most everybody had a face mask as it's the law in my state. BUT in every store I was in, there were people who didn't wear a mask, despite the fact that there's big signs in front of every business saying mask are mandatory.

I call them 'Typhoid Marys'

⬆️ Depends on the state in America. We’ve seen this strongly illustrated in California & the South.

I am glad to say that Connecticut seems to be a conservative state. If we are told to wear masks on the whole we wear them. IF we are eventually told to wear a mask outside at all times I, for one, will willingly do so & I think others will do too. In fact I see a lot of people here wear masks when they don’t need to.

I’ve never been particularly fond of CT (living in NYC ruined me for anywhere else), but I give the state kudos for its caution.

We saw a spike here like everyone else, but had two days of declines, so I thought that was it...but it went back up yesterday, by enough that I'm not sure it's just a blip. Hopefully it's isolated but that's pretty discouraging.

Still pretty good here overall, especially compared to other places, and if this is as bad as the "second wave" gets it's a lot better than it could have been, but still concerning.

I hope the barber shops don't close down again.
I've been cutting my own hair, then again I've been doing that for a couple of years now. I told my wife I'll cut hers too, I think I can do a good job of it

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I'm glad I dont live in Florida.

AL here. Our governor issued a mask mandate this last Thursday, I believe. I've seen more masks in public, but still a third or more aren't bothering. Restaurants are stepping up, but people are still entering without them. Stores though, like the Dollar Store is 50/50. Staff there are also 50/50 and aren't bothered to enforce much. Or course that's totally a one-off thing when picking up cat food the same night, but there were a few grumbles I heard as people were walking in not wanting to wear a mask.

Local paper posted that hospital beds for ICU and such are near capacity as a warning. Still, most people that I hear grumbling argue the mask doesn't protect "them," therefore it's useless. I don't understand how they come to the conclusion that this is about them. IN the store the other night I was at checkout, when a guy walks in with his kid who was maybe 9ish. The kid asked his dad about putting on a mask to get inside. The dad just said no, that's stupid. Kid replied, "cuz it can still get through huh?" dad, "yeah." Kid replied, "Cuz it can still get in your eyes, huh dad?" "Yeah." Then he muttered a complaint about how stupid masks were and useless while two of us in line were wearing them. It's not just that he disagrees. There's a weird passive aggressive anger there as if others wearing a mask offends him personally. It is bizarre!

Go figure.
I wanted so badly to joke with this kid that if I had to sneeze right now, would he rather me blow snot all over him or keep it trapped inside my mask where I'd have to wash gooey boogers and snot out of my beard instead of his hair, to make the point that it's not there for my safety. lol I think the kid would have laughed. The dad would have kicked my ass. The employee behind the counter apparently was family. She wasn't masked and told the kid to come give her a hug as I was leaving ...Alabama.

Most of my family (except mom) lives in the Florida panhandle. My cousins are all in an uproar over masks, posting FB arguments and announcing local Piggly Wiggly grocery stores are NOT mandating masks, so to shop there instead. =\

How hard is it really?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

'Red states' got love em, OMG...I just read where the Republican governor of Georgia sued the mayor of Atlanta, because the governor is upset that Atlanta has mandatory mask wearing. Almost without exception it's the Red states and the right wingers who refuse to wear mask and are obstructionists.