ahwell's Top 100 Movies - 2020

→ in
Tools    

Only seen this once but would love to see it again. At least it will be gorgeous to look at and it should be pretty charming and fun too. I hope I enjoy it on a second watch too.

79. The Sound of Music (1965)

I recently rewatched this and - I didn't realize how much nostalgic value I have for this movie until this viewing.

Julie Andrew is a one of a kind actress, her performance here makes Maria as a character stand out as someone real, and someone I want to know in person.
That's funny that you have nostalgia for The Sound of Music, usually that's what you hear from us old folks Well except me, I'd never seen it until after I joined MoFo. But I do like it.

I agree about Julie Andrew's devastating charm. Have you seen her in any other movies? She did a live telecast of Cinderella (1957) that was really special, and of course she's great in the original Mary Poppins.

That's funny that you have nostalgia for The Sound of Music, usually that's what you hear from us old folks Well except me, I'd never seen it until after I joined MoFo. But I do like it.

I agree about Julie Andrew's devastating charm. Have you seen her in any other movies? She did a live telecast of Cinderella (1957) that was really special, and of course she's great in the original Mary Poppins.
I love her in Mary Poppins too, but I haven’t seen the Cinderella you linked. Will need to get on that!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

79. The Sound of Music (1965)

The Sound of Music is a wonderful movie, but I watched it so many times over the years that I don't love it as much as I used to, but I still love the music. Julie Andrews has such a beautiful voice that I could listen to her sing the phone book.

I saw this as a kid and hated it (not Julie's biggest fan) and tried it again in my late teens with no success.

WARNING: "Just in case someone doesn't know" spoilers below
I hated the whole film, but the worst bit was the terribly sad ending... When the Nazis didn't capture them Possibly the only time in the history of cinema when I was cheering them on

78. Groundhog Day (1993)

This movie should be so stupid and lame. Just look at the poster. Look at the director (Caddyshack?? National Lampoon's Vacation??). Yes, what a cool original idea! Bill Murray (playing himself) happens to get a curse to live out the same day of his life over and over again. As Phil's life gets more boring, so does the movie.

For real, though, holy ****. It feels silly to call Groundhog Day a masterpiece but I really do think it is. It has no right being so clever, no right being so philosophically stimulating. Yet Groundhog Day is a smart comedy! It really made me think. Not at all philosophical movies have to be Stalker or Apocalypse Now. Every once in a while comes Inside Out, Kiki's Delivery Service, or Groundhog Day.

I think what I love so much about this movie is it's sincerity. So many directors and producers would want to make a farcial, brash, parody, with lots of stupid jokes. Phil gets the girl in the end, but he gets her by reading French poetry and cheating his way to the win, only for a couple laughs. Groundhog Day is chuck full of laughs, but it also takes its time. It allows for some real, true reflections on how and why we live. Does fate exist? Does God exist? Is he omnipotent? Or has he just been around that long...?

Phil goes through legitimate life transitions in between his learning of French, ice sculpting, and learning piano. He begins to realize how much of his life he's been wasting. At first he makes shallow strides to gain Rita's love, which fails. In the end, he learns that being good, helping others, but also loving yourself, is the key to happiness - not the ability to make a smart one liner to every person you don't like.

I get that not everyone likes Bill Murray, but I still think he's hilarious. He was so perfect for the cynical, bad-attitude Phil Connors, yet also perfectly plays the loving warm, person he has transitioned to by the end. He does Lester Burnham better than Kevin Spacey himself during his rebel/do whatever I want phase. He just makes Phil seem like a real, living character. Perhaps he magically has a sharp clever phrase a little TOO often, but he's someone we could meet.

There is a profound spirituality infused in Groundhog Day too. We never learn why and how Phil is given this "curse". We see him, for days, try to save an old homeless man, to no avail. As the nurse puts it, "Some people just die". Those are the moments that hit hard. Phil looking up to the sky. Is he God now? Can he even believe in God at this point?

Groundhog Day filled me with happiness and made me think about the lives we live. It's hilarious, well acted, just an all around 90s classic.

Now were talking Groundhog Day!

Saw a trailer for the new movie Palm Springs which gets praised for inventiveness but all I get from the trailer is allot of Groundhog Day.

78. Groundhog Day (1993)

I'm generally "hit or miss" with Bill Murray's movies, but this one was more on the "hit" side for me. It's not quite up to a "favorite movie" level, but I think it's a fun movie, and I like it.

Groundhog Day has obviously become a classic comedy over the years and it’s one of those people seem to just love.

I saw the movie late and it’s not like the concept is any less fun or inventive, but I didn’t find it amazing. It was a fun little film with some heart and some thought too. Better than most comedies out there. It had more to it. But it’s still not one I outright loved.

77. The Princess Bride (1987)

The Princess Bride for me is a ray of sunlight. It's not flawless, I don't think anyone is claiming that. But when you take the time to point out plot holes in a movie like this... I don't think it matters all that much.

I love the acting, I love the characters, the script is witty and fun. There's nothing I really dislike about this movie, the whole thing is just so damn entertaining.

This is my favorite Rob Reiner and I think always has been.

The Princess Bride is harmless family fun! It's indeed fun, witty and charming. It knows exactly what it is and is 100% confident with it. It sets the fundament straight from the get-go and doesn't try to be anything else. I had a lot of fun watching this for the first time not that long ago...

77. The Princess Bride (1987)

The Princess Bride for me is a ray of sunlight. It's not flawless, I don't think anyone is claiming that. But when you take the time to point out plot holes in a movie like this... I don't think it matters all that much.

I love the acting, I love the characters, the script is witty and fun. There's nothing I really dislike about this movie, the whole thing is just so damn entertaining.

This is my favorite Rob Reiner and I think always has been.

I love The Princess Bride. It's the perfect blend of action, adventure, comedy, and romance. I love everyone in the cast. Even the bad guys are fun to watch. And it has one of the greatest swordfights in any movie.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

83. Your Name (2016)

This is just a beautiful film. It's not very original and there are some boring moments, but it ends with such beauty and autumnal wisdom that I couldn't help loving it. The whole premise is pretty cool, of some magical occurrence causing two different people to switch... It makes for a great movie that mostly keeps you on the edge of your seat. The dialogue was pretty good, especially for an anime movie (of what I've seen they are generally more visual-based), and both main characters were great and relatable. I read afterwards that the director was actually unsatisfied with Your Name, he thought he could have done a lot more with it... I personally don't agree I loved it.
Now there's a '10s movie I could watch over and over again.