Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Through a Glass Darkly - 7/10
I liked it more this time around. I'm surprised I've seen THREE movies today (and its only 4pm). I haven't seen that many in the last month. But because of the kind of movies (psychological), it allows me to think about myself and the movie as its unfolding. I woke up today in a good mood. I don't ever remember that feeling. I did have a dream, kinda recurring dream where I'm with Mort Sahl in the same setting I saw him the last three times. This time, towards the very end of the dream, I want to mention "Harry and Tonto", while also asking him for movie recommendations, which I've done since last seeing him. Unlike the last few days, I didn't wake up dizzy, losing balance, so I avoided taking a pill for high blood pressure that I received from a family member. I think a big reason for my being calmer than usual is the weather. I LOVE cloudy days, and some rain. It's so calming.. Sun is chaotic, and when its out, so are people, and its too much for me. Even when its just cloudy, people don't seem to go outside, and its quiet everywhere, so I'm trying to milk this feeling for as long as I can, and planned to see "Wild Strawberries", but I kinda wanna see a movie by Bergman that I don't remember as much.... Damn, now I'm hearing a dog bark.

Matt's Review of his own Review - 8/10

⬆️ I love this movie.

Forever Female (1953)
A comedy film starring Ginger Rogers (another favourite of mine, lol) as an aging actress who is trying to hang on to her youth by playing parts that she is too old for on the stage. A fairly humorous film.
Taking your suggestion, I re-watched FF. It had been years since I'd seen it. It's a cute story with an enjoyable happy ending, which I like. The age facet put me in mind a little of But Not for Me, or even All About Eve.

To me the comedy dialogue writing was a little off. The actors delivered their lines, but it was almost too measured, like "Okay this line fits here, it should be funny". I think the setups were too slow. And G. Rogers seemed preoccupied with something not in the film.

It's interesting that Paramount was so obviously trying to push the young Pat Crowley into stardom, which never really happened. She always did great work, but ended up almost exclusively in TV. Still alive today!

I'd rated it about the same as you did. Enjoyable, but nothing overly impressive.

Yeah give me a weekend at Blackpool any day of the week. An afternoon at the Pleasure Beach followed by a donkey ride and a stick of rock.
The cut-price Madam Tussauds and the Funhouse beats this also.

[quote=Stirchley;2107442]Never knew Marco is British. We Brits should all come out of the woodwork & make our own thread.

Scottish my friend, saw most of my first eye-opening films at the GFT. MOFOs are universal...that's kinda what I like about it

Shame (2011)

Powerful story about sex-addiction by the same team that made "Hunger" (Steve McQueen and Michael Fassbender). The story itself was grim and heading one way but, as a viewer, wished we had more to know about Brandon. Rather than artistic shots and cuts. Just for instance, his job (that he apparently lived for and was so successful at) brushed off compromising their IT security without proper investigation...not in a firm that size he worked for. Carey Mulligan was OK in a part that left little for sympathy.

Yeah give me a weekend at Blackpool any day of the week. An afternoon at the Pleasure Beach followed by a donkey ride and a stick of rock.
My favorite place in the world as a kid.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Wild Strawberries

I gave this movie a 10/10, but after a second viewing (maybe a third?), I don't know if its deserving of that score. Maybe a 9/10, but this happened recently when I saw "Shadows in Paradise" when my brother came over. My laptop kept screwing up, and he constantly had to ask me to pause to check on his phone, or to re-read a subtitle. It was a short movie anyway, and we both were underwhelmed, and I wonder if its a bad idea to re-watch my favorites. I still love this movie, but when you know everything that's going to happen, its not the same experience..... I woke up yesterday to see my DVR recorded "A Virgin Spring", which I did not complete the first time, and after finishing it, I felt and still kinda feel in a Bergman mood. I also think its my way of avoiding the news, other message board discussions, to take a rest from what I usually do.

Welcome to the human race...
Double Down - ?/10

just what I always wanted to see, the bastard love-child of The Room and Primer

Palm Springs (2020)

This was a light, fun, and funny little film and a very successful variation on the Groundhog Day structure.

Nyles and Sarah get stuck in a time loop centered around the wedding of Sarah's little sister. The two work to figure out how to escape the loop while also reckoning with their own personal issues.

Maybe the best thing about this film is the way that it comes at the "living the same day over and over" formula from a fresh angle, and on multiple fronts.

To begin with, the film frequently takes the approach of showing us something outrageous or bizarre and then later helping us to connect the dots. It adds a layer of unpredictability to the plot, and allows for plot twists. There were revelations about the characters up to the final act.

Secondly, the film does a fantastic job of making both characters central to the plot. Sarah isn't just the love interest who is there to fall in love with Nyles. And Nyles isn't just the goofball there to irritate Sarah. Both characters are given ample character development and, especially refreshing, development outside of their romance with each other.

In fact, it's pretty amazing how well-developed many of the characters are. From an irritable fellow wedding guest (played by JK Simmons), to Sarah's sister, to a straight-talking barfly, most of the characters get a lot more than just one-dimension.

It's not the deepest film, but it was a delightful bit of fluff that made me laugh on a lazy summer Saturday. I'm giving it a generous 4 because, man, I needed something upbeat and this really delivered.

Oh boy, that made me want to watch it now. Although I wonder which The Room you mean.
I'm pretty sure the "?" means he's talking about the Wiseau version.

Though a combination of Primer and the Brie Larson The Room could also be pretty interesting.

Images (1972)

I'm not usually a fan of movies featuring nutty characters, but I watched this because I like director Robert Altman. It looks right and sounds right, and Susannah York was just right as hot and crazy. Reality is blurred in these types of movies and that's something that usually frustrates me. In this particular movie the mood worked for me. I liked it much more than Repulsion.

I'm pretty sure the "?" means he's talking about the Wiseau version.

Though a combination of Primer and the Brie Larson The Room could also be pretty interesting.
Good point, but it just felt like such an unlikely combination.... definitely watching that now.

Her Name Was Christa (2020)

The first two-thirds made a sort of sense in terms of character development, though they felt a bit clichéd. Once you’re in
WARNING: spoilers below
Nekromantik
territory, you either turn it off or you don’t. I didn’t, but at no point did this feel like a horror film, more like a sort of bizarro psychodrama. The film doesn’t emphasise the gore/yuck factor, which I thought was original, given the subject matter. That said, no time frame was given between
Christa’s death and the moment when Stephen makes love to the body. I interpreted it as being immediately after her overdose, therefore, the amount of blood, marks and bruising on the body didn’t make any sense.
The resolution where
Stephen has to kill himself
feels extremely trite. Also it’s essentially done twice, which is unnecessary. I don’t regret watching this, but I don’t think it quite pulls off what it intended to, or reaches its potential.

2.5/5