ahwell's Top 100 Movies - 2020

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

83. Your Name (2016)

This is just a beautiful film. It's not very original and there are some boring moments, but it ends with such beauty and autumnal wisdom that I couldn't help loving it. The whole premise is pretty cool, of some magical occurrence causing two different people to switch... It makes for a great movie that mostly keeps you on the edge of your seat. The dialogue was pretty good, especially for an anime movie (of what I've seen they are generally more visual-based), and both main characters were great and relatable. I read afterwards that the director was actually unsatisfied with Your Name, he thought he could have done a lot more with it... I personally don't agree I loved it.

I haven't seen Your Name yet, but I've read some great reviews of it, so it's already on my watchlist.

82. Toy Story 3 (2010)

Toy Story 3 was one of the first movies I remember seeing in theaters, and it has stuck with me ever since. Just a magnificent movie that never gets old, and a great "conclusion" to the trilogy even if Toy Story 4 just came last year; I did really enjoy that movie too, but 3 for me is the real end.

I've never been overly fond of the Toy Story series, but I really liked Toy Story 3. I think they should've stopped with this one though. Toy Story 4 was pretty mediocre.

82. Toy Story 3 (2010)

Toy Story 3 was one of the first movies I remember seeing in theaters, and it has stuck with me ever since. Just a magnificent movie that never gets old, and a great "conclusion" to the trilogy even if Toy Story 4 just came last year; I did really enjoy that movie too, but 3 for me is the real end.

The first Toy Story movie is my favorite, but I like the sequels too. But to be fair, I've seen the first movie several times, and I've only seen each of the sequels once, so maybe they deserve a rewatch.

81. American Beauty (1999)

It's a masterpiece; for me this movie pretends to be shallow by pretending to be deep, if that makes any sense lol. As in, it tells us it has serious things to say and then subverts our expectations and to me is more about the American dream, the Maslow Hieararchy of Needs, and our psychological dependencies on other people, than "being independent" and "breaking loose from society." The paper bag scene is funny, but I don't believe Mendes had it in there for anything of substance. It s a wink in the eye, a smirk telling us to find beauty and truth in it. That's the American Beauty.

Kevin Spacey gives the best performance of his career, seriously stellar, and he won a deserved Oscar that year. The other actors give great performances too.

Anyways, glad to know this film and Sam Mendes what a genius. He just makes damn good films, I encourage y'all to check out Road to Perdition as well! And there's this obscure war movie called 1917 that might peak people's interest.

It makes sense that you love Toy Story 3 so much when you practically grew up with it like I did the two first ones, for example. I love love love the first two movies, but the third disappointed me a bit. Except for the last 20 minutes which are absolutely phenomenal, it doesn’t really bring much new to the table and to me it’s not that good until it really kicks in those last 20 minutes... And yes, it’s where the series should have ended. While I didn’t hate the fourth and found it pretty good the series works much better as a trilogy and with the well written conclusion of the third film.

As for American Beauty, it’s a great movie indeed. Spacey is even creepier in this after you learned more about him as a person. But uh, anyways, Spacey is still a great actor and the movie is still really good.

80. Platoon (1986)

Terrifying, relentless, and no pretty picture, Platoon is my first Oliver Stone movie and one that I won't be forgetting any time soon. I haven't seen Apocalypse Now so I can't compare, but this one will be hard to beat.

Much of it is even shot in documentary style, making the realism of the Vietnam war pop out onto the screen. Especially the acting from Charlie Sheen and Willem Dafoe make it seem like you are in the war.

And that is horrifying. It's a two hour, non-stop barrage of men turning from - perhaps ******** - to killers. And of course it's more messy than that. Some are already killers. Some are killed before they can become that. Elias is one of the most interesting characters in the story, as a grizzled veteran who realizes the horrors he's living through.

I love the pairing of him and Barnes as two different sides of the war, two different mentalities. And then Chris as a symbol for the common American young man, innocent, stuck in the middle of it all. The poster is almost sarcastic, as Elias dying seems to reach out, asking "Why?" "What's the point?"

And who can forget the usage of Barber's Adagio for Strings, one of the most heartbreaking and powerful pieces of music ever written. Put it into a Vietnam War film and you've got dynamite.

I think I would still take Aliens over this for 1986 Best Picture winner, but that would have never won anyways. I'm completely satisfied with Platoon winning, it deserved it.

This list is shaping up to be the personal list with the highest percentage of films that I've seen. Consequently, it's also shaping up to be the personal list with the highest concentration of films that I don't like.

Yeah, I generally don't like war movies and Platoon was not an exception.

81. American Beauty (1999)

...Kevin Spacey gives the best performance of his career, seriously stellar, and he won a deserved Oscar that year...
I've always liked Spacey, too bad his career is in shambles. The last film he made was Gore about Gore Vidal, but it hasn't been released. Who knows if it ever will?
The film's release was cancelled by Netflix after several allegations of sexual misconduct were made against the film's star, Kevin Spacey.
FU Netflix!...release it and let us decide if we want to watch it or not.

This list is shaping up to be the personal list with the highest percentage of films that I've seen. Consequently, it's also shaping up to be the personal list with the highest concentration of films that I don't like.

Yeah, I generally don't like war movies and Platoon was not an exception.
Not to spoil or anything, but you’ll see quite a few of your favorites later on

I loved Aliens, it's a well made entertainment film...While Platoon deeply reflects on the scars of Vietnam. During it's runtime the film distills the essences of the 'Nam experience into a visceral orgy of sight and sound. Definitely Oliver Stone's crowning achievement.

80. Platoon (1986)

I'm not really a fan of war movies, but I watched Platoon when it was nominated in a HoF recently, and it's a very good movie. It's not a movie that I could see myself watching again, but I thought it deserved the Oscar it won.

79. The Sound of Music (1965)

I recently rewatched this and - I didn't realize how much nostalgic value I have for this movie until this viewing. It has been almost ten years, but the memories are surprisingly vivid. Every scene was like digging up a time capsule that I had buried when I was a kid. It was beautiful, and amazing, and enhanced my experience.

But I don't love every movie now that I loved as a kid. The Sound of Music is simply a great film regardless. The cinematography and outside shots are so gorgeous (I would have been fine with a couple more minutes of those opening shots to set the scene).

Julie Andrew is a one of a kind actress, her performance here makes Maria as a character stand out as someone real, and someone I want to know in person. Of course that was partially the writing too. But Andrews plays a huge role in keeping this movie together.

Song numbers are classic. "The Sound of Music," "Sixteen Going On Seventeen," "My Favorite Things." 'nough said.

One thing I noticed more this time around was the movie's use of subtle character choices. Take, for instance, a scene when Captain von Trapp breaks up with the Baroness, knowing that he can't marry her when he loves Maria. The Baroness, with a tear forming in her eye, graciously accepts it, wishes him luck, and packs her bags. She is not an evil person. A lesser movie would have shown her throwing a hissy fit and storming off to leave. This movie offers the fact that the Baroness - with her faults - is a human being who is just as good as any of the characters in the film.

That's just one example. Maria may be one of my favorite movie characters period. She's just delightful, a joy to watch, and makes the best out of every situation in life. She is a free spirit, even when she marries the Captain.

Sure this movie has flaws. The first half is far superior to the second, which lacks the same character depth. Some of the lighting is harsh and blocky, and some of it can come off as corny.

I say to that, so what?! The film is special, sweet, I will forever love it! Good job, Academy, you actually chose the right winner for Best Picture!