The Island

→ in
Tools    

did it remind anyone else of 'Logans Run'? The basic principal was the same...

1. Saved!
2. Scooby Doo 2
3. Alice in Wonderland
4. Harry Potter (All of 'em!)
5. The Ring

history *is* moralizing
yep, in some aspects it did.

Well, firstly i have to admit i only went to see this film because of Scarlett , because i dont like this kind of films at all
And i didnt like it.
The story is not that bad, really, and the actors are good, i only would change the director (Michael Bay). If i was the director i would make it all differently: pay more attention to the story and would make more dialogues, much less action, and would give more importance to the visual, futuristic stetic in the first part of the film mostly.

Haven't seen it yet, but hey, worth a watch?

I guess the cinema ticket is worth seeing Scarlet on the big screen at least?

i think it depends on what kind of films you like

Yes, of course, as i said i only went to watch it because of Scarlett

Here to support the villians.......
Sorry to offend Scarlet Johanson fans but she was poor in this film, all she does is pout, and Ewan McGregor is also disappointing, and has no real presence, and his American accent is all over the bloody place.

Steve Bucsemi is as always entertaining, but Sean Bean is the best with a typcial robust performance as the villian.

Originally Posted by Lester Burnham
Sorry to offend Scarlet Johanson fans but she was poor in this film, all she does is pout, and Ewan McGregor is also disappointing, and has no real presence
yes, i consider myself a big fan of scarlett but yes, after seen this film it is normal that you think so... and the same about ewan; i think both of them are good but this film doesnt really give them the chance to show it, and yes the feeling that you have after seeing it can be like emptiness, but i dont think it is their fault, it is just the way this film was made
it was good just to see scarlett but i also would have liked to ENJOY her, like i did in other films

still haven't seen this film. really looking forward to watching it though. with your nice comments. thanks!

I am the Nightrider!
My review for "The Island."

Do not believe any of the critics and do not be misguided because it’s a Michael Bay flick, “The Island” is a very good movie; action-packed, well crafted and good sci-fi.

It’s 2019, the population is very small and it seems to be confined into a large facility controlled by scientist Dr. Merrick (Sean Bean). Apparently, the Earth has been contaminated and those who live in this confined society are considered fortunate. Everyone except the guards and doctors wear the same clothing, their diets are controlled, their knowledge in minimal and sexual attraction is prohibited. But there is chance for a fresh start. Twice a day there is a lottery, where a selected person wins a trip to The Island, a contaminated-free paradise where a new life can be created and the environment can be repopulated.

Lincoln Six Echo (Ewan McGregor, hot off of "Episode III") is curious. He wants to know why society is the way it is. Why is everyday planned out for him. Why is he being controlled. He also suspects that something wrong is amidst. He tells all this information to Dr. Merrick who finds this behavior very interesting and unfortunate. Of course, things get a little deeper when Lincoln’s best friend Jordan Two Delta (the ever so beautiful Scarlett Johansson) has been selected to go to The Island. After some investigation, Lincoln discovers that there is no Island, only certain death. All who have been picked in the lottery, seem to face some sort of medical treatment followed by death. Lincoln locates Jordan and tells her what he's discovered and after a successful escape from the facility, both ‘fugitives’ find out that there’s nothing wrong with the outside world, and find themselves in the middle an Arizona desert.

Merrick then calls Albert Laurent (Djimon Hounsou), a special enforcement agent, to track down our two heroes. With the help of McCord (Steve Buscemi), an employee of the facility, Lincoln and Jordan realize that they are, as well as the whole society at the facility, clones, created by Dr. Merrick with the intention of adding an additional lifetime to the average human being. When an organ, tissue or such ages or no longer functions on the human body, a replacement is taken from their 'ordered' clone. The clone is then terminated after the operation, but Merrick manipulates the clones to think that they are going to a paradise called The Island. But the clones are people too, with human feelings and emotion, and Lincoln wants to put an end to Merrick's operation. McCord helps Lincoln and Jordan get to Los Angeles, to search for their sponsors (the original hosts), or any means of help. But Laurent's posse is hot on their tail...and the action commences.

"The Island" is an action-packed thrill ride. It's no doubt that Michael Bay is a great action-director, but he tried too hard to become the next James Cameron with "Armageddon" & "Pearl Harbor," and the "Bad Boys" films are just terrible. This is the Michael Bay that gave us "The Rock," this is Bay's redemption. Reminiscent of "Logan's Run", "The Island" has a solid sci-fi story, with solid action and visuals to back it up.

UJ

Originally Posted by criss
Well, firstly i have to admit i only went to see this film because of Scarlett , because i dont like this kind of films at all
And i didnt like it.
I went because I like Scarlett and I like this kind of film. But I didn't like The Island. Great potential...unrealized.

Hired assassins with the best technology can't find and eliminate two naive, innocent clones? It was over at that point.

Too much action, too little intellect.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by Twain
Great potential...unrealized.

Too much action, too little intellect.
That was it exactly. The start was brilliant, but after a while it was like "hey, lets forget the plot and see how much expensive stuff we can smash up."

The island wa an amazing movie, i think the music by Hans zimmer and the other guy made the film what it was though. I love all films hans zimmer does music in. Shame Ridley Scott or John Woo didnt direct it though

Laugh And The World Laughs With You, Weep And You Weep Alone

Originally Posted by Divinity
The island wa an amazing movie, i think the music by Hans zimmer and the other guy made the film what it was though. I love all films hans zimmer does music in. Shame Ridley Scott or John Woo didnt direct it though
Apparenty, Europe thinks it's an amazing movie too. It bombed here but it's doing great in Europe. And it will probably do well on DVD.

I think it was somewhat of a turkey but it's still going to make a lot of gravy.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Hello all,

Just watched the DVD and I have to say that this is a really good movie.

Scarlett is so beautiful and Ewan makes a good performance as a childlike clone. Other major actors did what they are used to do and it was visually fairly nice. More details here.

Why did it fail in USA? I think this was rather successful film in Finland at least.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Just saw this for the first time on cable. I thought it was ok-- pretty watchable, very slick of course, but some of those quick action cuts get annoying. Lots of holes in it, but if you just want a modern Logans Run on steroids, it's a pretty good watch.

7.4 out of ten for me

the problem with the island is that the first half of the film is brilliant filmmaking
The setting, the plot, the way the plot gets your mind thinking of what could happen next, and then suddenly the second half turns into a chase ride with action that really doesn t commit to what the movie s original pace and plot is about, it was to me like watching two different films , i can t say how much it could have been one of the best scifi action films ever with better decisions from the directors