Superman Returns: Appreciation

Tools    

I once said there is no way a Superman movie could be worse then Superman Returns. Then I saw Man of Steel. Boy was I wrong. Superman Return looks brilliant by comparison.
I've weighed the two long and hard.
Don't get me wrong, I hated Man of Steel with a passion, but I still come down on Returns as being the worst.

Now Superman III was the worst Superman movie ever (with IV a close second), BUT it had Chris Reeve in the suit which still makes it better than Returns for that fact alone.

I just could not view Brandon Routh as Superman through the entire movie - it's like if they dressed the guy up from Dark Knight who dressed up as Batman (but wore "hockey pads") and said THIS is the new Batman! I could maybe see Routh as Superboy... maybe. He looked a lot more like a teenager in the movie than he did a man.

And his performance? I've seen more personality from two dimensional drawings of Superman in comic... that's closed... that's piled in between other comics... that are in a paper bag... that got misplaced... and are lost in someone's grandfather's attic!

I agree with all your points, but at least Superman in Superman Returns actually saves people and does not cause massive amounts of collateral damage. Now don't get me wrong, Returns was still bad but damn I still can't hate on Superman Returns the same way I used to after Man of Steel.

I have a review of Man of Steel in my review thread if you want to check it out. Rage and alcohol fueled, but I think I get my points across.

Man of Steel review

I agree with all your points, but at least Superman in Superman Returns actually saves people and does not cause massive amounts of collateral damage. Now don't get me wrong, Returns was still bad but damn I still can't hate on Superman Returns the same way I used to after Man of Steel.

I have a review of Man of Steel in my review thread if you want to check it out. Rage and alcohol fueled, but I think I get my points across.

Man of Steel review
I go read that now! Be back after drinks!

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with Superman Returns. The film seemed to be trying to recapture the spirit of the Richard Donner and Richard Lester films but it was missing one major thing that those first films had: humor. Singer directed this film with a totally straight face, the tongue in cheek aspect that Donner and Lester's films had was gone. I also didn't like the way this film sort of spit in the face of this comic book legend...I found it impossible to accept the idea that Lois Lane would have a child with another man or consider marriage to another man, no matter how long Superman might have been away from the planet. I also wish Singer had paid a little more attention to casting and his actors...Brandon Routh's resemblance to Christopher Reeve helped, but it wasn't enough and Kate Bosworth was terrible as Lois Lane and Kevin Spacey seemed to be phoning it in as Lex Luthor. Getting through this movie was a real chore.

I do prefer Henry Cavil as Superman.

And things that aren't released initially, are probably that way because they will want to span out the DCU as long as they can.
(Because milking batman and superman, is a very profitable business plan!)

i have to say that yes, this movie is much better than MOS and BVS, at least it had the feel and the music of superman that we all know, even though brandon routh tried so hard to imitate christopher reeves performance, it still feels better

You know, after my first initial posts in this thread way back when... I've changed my opinion of this movie.
Rambond's right...

MoS and BvS, Justice League... Superman Returns is probably as close as we'll get to a modern Superman that's actually decent.

Still don't like how Luthor was simply after real estate though.
Coulda done with a super villain in Returns. Something for Supes to have a proper battle with etc... but as the movie is, it's far better than the most recent Superman.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen Superman Returns since it was in the theaters, but as I recall, I thought the movie was only okay, and Kevin Spacey was wasted as Lex Luthor, but there were some scenes where Brandon Routh looked eerily like a young Christopher Reeve.

You know, after my first initial posts in this thread way back when... I've changed my opinion of this movie.
Rambond's right...

MoS and BvS, Justice League... Superman Returns is probably as close as we'll get to a modern Superman that's actually decent.

Still don't like how Luthor was simply after real estate though.
Coulda done with a super villain in Returns. Something for Supes to have a proper battle with etc... but as the movie is, it's far better than the most recent Superman.
I agree, felt lex luthor was kinda wasted but perfectly cast

I am the Watcher in the Night
Revisiting this thread after years.....and now with the horrible arc of the DCU, my opinion feels ever more relevant. MOS was barely ok, BVS was plain bad and JL was one of the worst movies of recent times. Bring back Brandon Routh!

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Routh will be back at some point.

He was in the Supergirl TV series as Superman alongside Hoachlin's Superman.
Supergirl is attached to the Flash series.

Ezra Miller has appeared in the Flash TV show, alongside the TV show version of Flash.

Would love to see Routh, with Hoachlin and Cavill... and bring back Tom Welling too.

Routh will be back at some point.

He was in the Supergirl TV series as Superman alongside Hoachlin's Superman.
Supergirl is attached to the Flash series.

Ezra Miller has appeared in the Flash TV show, alongside the TV show version of Flash.

Would love to see Routh, with Hoachlin and Cavill... and bring back Tom Welling too.
...and Cain.

How many other live-action "Supermen" are still alive?
How about the guys who played Superboy, do they count?