Photography

Tools    

Which one was it?

La Piscine was the first thing I saw her in and it floored me. I was on one of those dry spells where I didn't watch anything that really hooked me and every film was bland but that one came along and kick started everything again.
It was Good Neighbor Sam (1964) with Jack Lemmon, Romy had a starring role in this. It made me appreciate her.

Some pics from Sundays walk:

Baby swans (cygnets) are the cutest things ever.

It's National Photography Day!

I thought I'd post a few that aren't mine. Some long time favourites that influenced my own style.

Terence Spencer. Skinheads and Hippies in Piccadilly Circus.

Spencer was a photography for Life, although this one isn't a particularly famous photo from that era. There's also a few different shots from the same scene but I've always preferred this one.

Greg Girard.

A fellow Canadian, I stumbled across his stuff on Instagram. He started photographing Vancouver in the 1970s before moving to Asia. Lots of neon.

I actually messaged him over IG when I was travelling out to Vancouver last year and asked if he wanted to grab a drink because I liked his work so much, it inspired me to see more of my own country. Surprisingly, he was down for it and met up briefly.

Frank Habicht. Girl at a Rolling Stone's concert.

I had to hunt to the end of the world to find out info on this photo. It's been called the "Mona Lisa of the 1960s" but never did it credit the photographer. I think I randomly came across Habicht's IG and discovered his work that way. Great time capsule of Swingin' London.

Larry Burrows.

There's a ton of great photographers who were in Vietnam, but Burrows is the best in my opinion. He died when the helicopter was shot down.

I went down to Nashville for the Fourth of July and came across these two in Kid Rock's bar. None of my cameras will allow you to accidentally take multiple exposures, so I'm not sure how this happened but I'm still heartbroken about it.

Frank Habicht. Girl at a Rolling Stone's concert.

I had to hunt to the end of the world to find out info on this photo. It's been called the "Mona Lisa of the 1960s" but never did it credit the photographer. I think I randomly came across Habicht's IG and discovered his work that way. Great time capsule of Swingin' London.
Are you sure it was taken in London? Outdoor concert, hot day since one guy is bare-chested. Looks American to me.

Are you sure it was taken in London? Outdoor concert, hot day since one guy is bare-chested. Looks American to me.

It was Hyde Park.

Bumping this thread to ask a question...

I have photo albums from before my time that are so old, the pages are disintegrating (some photos are still held fast with old photo corners, but many have come loose). I'd like to have the photos in a presentable format and add a lot of photos my parents had that are just loose and kept in envelopes.
But I'm not sure what kind of album to look for - since the photos are very old (some dating back to the late 1800's!) I'm assuming something acid-free & intended for archival storage. Should I veer away from those with the sticky page and plastic overlay?

I've looked online, but even if you search for acid-free & archival, you still get results for the sticky page albums (will those damage old or fragile photos)?

Any suggestions?

I have photo albums from before my time that are so old, the pages are disintegrating (some photos are still held fast with old photo corners, but many have come loose). I'd like to have the photos in a presentable format and add a lot of photos my parents had that are just loose and kept in envelopes.
But I'm not sure what kind of album to look for - since the photos are very old (some dating back to the late 1800's!) I'm assuming something acid-free & intended for archival storage. Should I veer away from those with the sticky page and plastic overlay?

I've looked online, but even if you search for acid-free & archival, you still get results for the sticky page albums (will those damage old or fragile photos)?

Any suggestions?
I'm just seeing this now and I'm not sure if I can be a help or not...I'd say you're right that you don't want photo albums with the clear plastic overlay. But then again maybe the more expensive photo albums have a plastic type that doesn't stick. Maybe you could search or even ask this question in a genealogy group like on Reddit. Or maybe look for scrapbooks and attach the photos with those little corners that they use to use, they must still be made.

I have a different photo problem, we inherited box after box of slide photos. I bought a used slide projector from ebay and one of these days I'm going to view all these slides of people I don't know!

Any suggestions?
I have no suggestions. This sounds like a huge expensive project.

My middle bro sent me emails of some terrific family photos that he’d scanned for me. Especially of my late mother. I had them printed out at Walgreens (inexpensive) & they came out terrific.

Don’t think this helps you though.

I have no suggestions. This sounds like a huge expensive project.

My middle bro sent me emails of some terrific family photos that he’d scanned for me. Especially of my late mother. I had them printed out at Walgreens (inexpensive) & they came out terrific.

Don’t think this helps you though.
I actually had some tin-types in this collection, but I sold those on eBay since no one could identify who the subjects were (if I knew for sure they were relatives or which specific relatives I might have kept them). They got snatched up quickly as apparently there are a lot of tin-type collectors out there.

I'm just seeing this now and I'm not sure if I can be a help or not...I'd say you're right that you don't want photo albums with the clear plastic overlay. But then again maybe the more expensive photo albums have a plastic type that doesn't stick. Maybe you could search or even ask this question in a genealogy group like on Reddit. Or maybe look for scrapbooks and attach the photos with those little corners that they use to use, they must still be made.

I have a different photo problem, we inherited box after box of slide photos. I bought a used slide projector from ebay and one of these days I'm going to view all these slides of people I don't know!
When I was in art school, they had us photograph our projects so we could do a slide presentation.

I don't remember how I photo'd mine (as I didn't own a 33mm camera - but only one of those cheap Kodak plastic cameras). Can't remember if I had to take the film someplace special to get slides made (or if they could make them at the "Fotomat").

Anyway, I finally got my slides and did my presentation at school. I also showed them once when I was teaching drawing to some older folks in their home - they happened to have a slide projector. That's the last time I saw them - they are currently buried in a box somewhere in my storage unit.

I'm back from my seven week trek across Europe and my film scans are starting to roll in. I don't think I really achieved the kind of photos I wanted to get, although I did find myself becoming more selective with what I take photos of.

The real kicker was when I went to take a finished roll out and discovered I never put a roll in. Turns out I walked up a mountain in Zakopane and went to Kyiv with an empty camera. Gotta say I dropped the ball on that one and dropped it hard.

Belfast.

I started in Northern Ireland. This is where the Titanic was built. I took it from inside the memorial building, the window reflection is where it has a funky look going on almost like a double exposure.

I've been a busy lad. Recently got my British citizenship so I decided to try out the new passport by going to England for the coronation this past weekend. Still waiting on the B&W scans.

Came across this while visiting Derry. Has anyone else started watching Once Upon a Time in Northern Ireland? I feel like there's been a lot coming out lately about the Troubles.