Bean: The New Chaplin?

Tools    

All the Snout...Twice the Ointment.
Say,

I want to hear fellow movie lovers' thoughts on the Mr. Bean movies. ("Bean", 1997 and "Mr. Bean's Holiday",2007). More specifically, the Mr. Bean character. Here's my two cents;

I am a HUGE Charlie Chaplin nut. I've read many books, seen all his films and collect Chaplin memorabilia. Big fan. It's a borderline obsession. Honest. So, it probably goes without saying that I walked out of the theater after seeing "Mr. Bean's Holiday" with a giant smile on my face and a spring in my otheriwise spring-free step.

I honestly believe that Bean is as close as modern audiences will ever get to a true "tramp-like" character. I know they all said simlilar things about Roberto Benigni after "Life is Beautiful", 1997. And I agree he did a swell Chaplin-esque tribute in that film. But then he never followed it up with anything like it. ("Pinochio"? Eww.) Whereas Bean continues to be...Bean.

How do others feel? Keep in mind, my affection for Chaplin is extremely deep. For me to even suggest a modern day version is practically blasphemy to me. But there I go. Can't help it. What say you?

P.S. "Roeper & 'Guest Host'" HATED Bean's Holiday. Called Rowan Atkinson a creepy little character. I really, really disagree.

The Adventure Starts Here!
My parents got me into Mr. Bean when they discovered the TV shows on some cable network years ago. I love the character too, mostly because Atkinson is such a "creepy little character."

Bean's been around much longer than 1997, of course, but I'm glad to see him get some recognition every so often now too. I thought his bit part in Four Weddings and a Funeral was funny.

He probably woke up one day and said, "Look at how freakin' weird I look! Look at these ears! This nose! I should capitalize on this and just go for it."

And the rest is probably history.

I've always found Bean a worrying subject; he's clearly mentally disabled yet we all laugh at his disability but don't seem to mind. Plus he's quite a cruel character, not a lovable scamp. Anyway, still like him, didn't think much of the new movie though.

Austruck, i'm guessing you've not seen Blackadder....

I don't think Mr. Bean is mentally disabled. I just think he is socially awkward. He is poor, a loser, and weird, but intelligent. In his tv shows he has said some very intelligent things...one or two words at a time, mind you. He is just a poor man's version of eccentric lol.

I was a huge Bean fan as a teenager. I also watched Atkinson's stand up, it's hilarious! I still have a soft spot for the Bean character and will likely see the movie when it's released to DVD. But Bean, the movie, was very poor in comparison to the tv show. I was also pissed because the character used a bunch of skits from the tv show. I was looking for something I haven't seen Bean do before. So yeah, I was disappointed with the movie. I hope Mr. Bean's Holiday brings new and different adventure than the tv shows or the previous movie.

Gummo, it doesn't. At least not for me. I think with Bean there is a definate disability, more so than socially awkward but that's maybe just me. Has no-one seen Blackadder then? Rowan Atkinson plays the COMPLETE opposite of Bean, in a far better show.

I suppose Bean could be the new Chaplin, if you set aside the fact that the character is neither funny, nor clever, nor likable, nor particularly original (let's face it, all of Atkinson's sight gags are basically ripped off from Chaplin, Keaton or Monty Python's "Ministry of Silly Walks" sketch).

The Black Adder character is certainly stronger, although in a rather generic Brit Humour kind of way.

Basically, the problem is that Rowan Atkinson has no discernible talent beyond homeliness.

Pfft. I'm no fan of most British humor, but one can see his talent plain as day when you consider that almost all he does, he does with little to no dialogue. And physical comedy, as low-brow as it can be, is by no means easy.

Anyway, Atkinson has at least one performance piece/standup-style show to his credit that ran on Comedy Central years ago, which made it abundantly clear that his comedic talents stretch far beyond the Bean character. It's rather hard to describe, but the striking thing about it is how many different types of comedy it involves. Some of it is traditional standup comedy, some of it's just a collection of storylike jokes, and some of it uses Bean's reaction to external sounds. It's unusual, but ambitious, and fairly inventive. If I find its name, I'll be sure to post it here.

I think Atkinson's critics have seen a handful of Bean (though probably not enough to make a judgment even on that), and think they've got the guy pegged. It's their loss, of course; they're missing out on the other things he's capable of, and probably the majority of the Bean character, too.

I've seen him as a sketch artist. I've seen him as Bean. I've seen him as Blackadder.

There's nothing new, unique or interesting about anything he does. His physical comedy is derivative. His satire is derivative. His jokes are derivative and the plot of everything he's ever been involved in is derivative. Peter Sellers, please.

I do not think he is the "new" anything, other than himself. He is Bean, and he is a major ingredient in Chili, and somewhere between Jim Carrey and Chaplin lies Bean, not a bad place to lie, not bad at all.

I've seen him as a sketch artist. I've seen him as Bean. I've seen him as Blackadder.

There's nothing new, unique or interesting about anything he does. His physical comedy is derivative. His satire is derivative. His jokes are derivative and the plot of everything he's ever been involved in is derivative.
Well, I'd say virtually everything is derivative; it's only a matter of degree. If genuine originality is the cutoff between good and bad, then you'll find yourself with two groups of comedians: legends, and everyone else. In my mind, there's got to be a few levels in-between, with at least one reserved for guys like Atkinson; guys who don't reinvent comedy, but who make a career out of superior execution.

That said, looking goofy as all get-out is part of the equation, too. I don't know if it can be called a "talent," but it's certainly something that you have to be born with.

But, to each their own and all that.

Peter Sellers, please.
Well, yeah. But we're not going to find too many people among the living who compare well to Sellers.

Has no-one seen Blackadder then? Rowan Atkinson plays the COMPLETE opposite of Bean, in a far better show.
I am not a fan of Mr Bean I love Blackadder, that was a show that had me laughing

The Fabulous Sausage Man
I think comparing him to Tati would make more sense. His new film is a homage to Mr. Hulot's Holiday, after all.

Even putting him in the same thread with Chaplin is absurd. I'm not even going to dignify this with a response... oops!

I think comparing him to Tati would make more sense. His new film is a homage to Mr. Hulot's Holiday, after all.
You are totally right, Jack Tati could be his father (spiritually at least). But Tati goes deeper on the social comment.

The Fabulous Sausage Man
You are totally right, Jack Tati could be his father (spiritually at least). But Tati goes deeper on the social comment.
Chaplin too.

While it's not surprising people are comparing them, Bean would obviously still never be as considered as great as Chaplin and Tati were. City Lights isn't considered a classic just because it's 80 minutes of amusement, but because it's timeless and meaningful too. Of all his feature length films, only one was them was just a straight-up comedy - The Circus, and it's forgotten about by most. Mr. Bean's okay, but for most critics there isn't enough substance in his films and TV episodes to be considered truly great.

I don't like Charlie Chaplin. Bean is okay. No comparison between them.

Charlie Chaplin is Charlie Chaplin, he was ahead of his age.

Mr. Bean is also original in his own right.

Both are comedians.

Movie Forums Critic
in terms on kind of comedy they are in, they are same, yet in the way they deliver the material is way diff. e.g. mr.bean use a child imagination on how to deal problems , a childish act, plus the imitation of innocent mind, for charlie chaplin he uses physical comedy and imitation of well-known person at his time, political comedy.... thats why they are not alike and Mr.bean is not the new chaplin....

I don't think any person can be compared to another.Bean ahs never really acted in superior movies like Chaplin did but i think he is more capable in doing various things (serious acting, interviewing, comedy, making documentaries). He is some unique combination of Laurel & Hardy, Jim Carrey and Chaplin but he has his own expressions and style nevertheless. I love all four of those genuine comedians.

I like Mr. Bean okay...just okay. (And I love Blackadder). I think that comparisons to Jaques Tati are far more apt than comparisons to Chaplin.

Also, keep in mind that Atkinson is an actor. Period. Chaplin also wrote and directed most of his films, and Tati directed most of his. Although I like Mr. Atkinson, he has a ways to go before being put into the same league with Chaplin or Tati.