Action Scenes

Tools    

I enjoy Batman movies big time.
What movies have your favorite action scenes? My favorite action scenes are in Spiderman movies and Batman movies. (just in case you wanted to know)

Should I call you Logan, Weapon X?
Saving Pvt Ryan
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Star Wars Saga
Desperado
Fearless
Kung Fu Hustle
Ichi the Killer

Theres too many to mention in this catagory I think.

Children of Men ftw, surely? The action scenes in that are amazing. Literally amazing. Especially when watched in a cinema.

A system of cells interlinked
I second Children of Men. Amazing stuff.

Meanwhile, Spiderman? Aside from the train scene in 2, I think that stuff is not very well done, especially Spiderman 3. Like the final battle in Matrix 3, the action was just too hectic and over-the-top to be genuinely engaging.

re Spiderman 2, I liked the battle on the side of the building better than the train.

My list would probably be dominated by Hong Kong films of the 80s. Sammo Hung vs. Lau kar Leung in Pedicab Driver. Bike chase in Project A. Ladder stunt and underwater fight in First Strike. Police Story has a great opening.

A lot of scenes in Buster Keaton films, but especially that last half hour or so of Steamboat Bill, jr.

Once Upon a Time in China, the ladder fight. Part 2 is a bit slicker but a worse movie. Still worth mentioning.

I may be conflating two early Jackie Chan films, but there are a few scenes that I particularly remember, one is a sort of extended hacky sack match with teams and goals and the other is a competition to climb this man-made structure. I'm thinking those were in the same film but I could be wrong, I remember his films by their stuntwork rather than by their stories or characters.

The Blade - a lot of great action, but the sets are what really stand out about those scenes for me, especially the weird bamboo structure where man cheuk chiu loses an arm.

The storming of the third castle (I think) in Ran. There are battle scenes that always get brought up as high points (particularly the openning of Saving Private Ryan) but somehow this gets overlooked. Perhaps it's because it's not a "war movie" but it's still more impressive than any others that I've seen.

I also really like the battle scene in The New World. It's pretty gentle compared to most action scenes, but maybe that's part of why it stands out.

Love those fights in Ridley Scott's The Duellists.

Time and Tide, the scene at the huge apartment building. Some amazing camerawork there and throughout that movie.

Many scenes in Akira. I love the animation in that movie.

I have to return some videotapes.
A few come to mind at the moment. The 'rescue sequence' at the end of first Matrix was some crazy stuff at the time. Also, the various fighting scenes during Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I had not watched much of that genre at the time and thought it was pretty cool.

Star Wars
Intro Crash Scene in Final Destination 2
All Matrix Movies, especially the second one.

Star Wars the scene of Luke vs. Darth

As for me a good action scene is a shootout like in The Matrix(the first one only),John Woo movies like Face/off(especially when Cage and Travolta are shooting at each other on the sound of a classic music which makes it even prettier),Hard Boiled,The Killer.Most of Michael Bay movies are packed with a lot of action sequence which he handles very well(despite what you most say about him).Equilibrium,Desperado etc.As for Fighting I prefer sword fighting like in Gladiator,The Blade Trilogy and maybe others but I can't think of them right now

Movie Forums Extra
John Woo's Hong Kong movies includes some great action scenes (check out The Killer and Hard-Boiled).

But one of the most legendary action scene is the shower scene in The Rock. No cool choreography but the atmosphere in this scene is great.

Time and Tide, the scene at the huge apartment building. Some amazing camerawork there and throughout that movie.
I totally agree with you that was a great scene and movie I thought

I also really enjoy Ronin with Robert Deniro That movie has some of the best car chases I have ever seen.

Lost in never never land
I would say that the action scenes in Hot Fuzz have to be up there.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Ong-bak had some crazy fight scenes and Tom yum goong I loved mainly because of the capoeira fighter in it.

The entire sequence from The Island beginning with the train wheels being thrown off the truck at the oncoming vehicles chasing after them.

The entire sequence from The Island beginning with the train wheels being thrown off the truck at the oncoming vehicles chasing after them.

Yeah it was great(one of my favorite) but it's nothing new Bay used the same scene back in 2003 in Bad Boys II but instead of Train wheels he used cars

Movie Forums Critic
Harry potter: The Order of the Phoenix, the fight scene of Dumbeldore and Lord voldemort.....

I hope nobody minds if I mention two action sequences.

The one action scene that's still fresh in my mind is the motorway chase sequence in Transfromers. The slow motion captures in that was done with still and I am not afraid to say that I was in awe when I saw that on the big screen. It's true, Bay does get slagged off a bit, but very few can make motorway chase scenes look entertaining ALL the time. Entertaining film with highly entertaining action scenes.

The next film I will mention may surprise a few. David Cronenberg's
A History Of Violence features some of the most random but nasty violence that I have ever seen in a long time. I like these scenes for different reasons than I do with Transformers . In Cronenberg's crime movie, the violence is depicted as thrilling at first but forces you to suffer the ramifications of Tom Stall's violent acts. I believe that it was Cronenberg's aim to make us feel uncomfortable during the aftermaths of these scenes which it does very well, so that's why it gets a special mention in this thread.