Religion in Films

Tools    

Obviously we've seen a trend recently, with religion being a stronger element in films as of late. I saw I am Legend and noted the phrase "god still loves us" on the wall of a skyscraper in New York City.

Are people going to see films based on faith? There have been HUGE box office openings for films - for example - I am Legend opened up at $76 million....

Does anyone like this trend in film? Do you think it's a guaranteed money maker? The Golden Compass opened slow, but it appears to be picking up speed internationally...

I think the fact that The Passion of the Christ - made so much money : while being a god awfull movie , sums it all up
Huh? There are hoards of low-budget terrible films about religion, and it's rare than an overtly religious film does well. The Passion of the Christ is a completely unique box office phenomenon. And I don't think citing it -- regardless of whether you like it or not -- answers the question dudefilm is posing.

Now, to the subjective: I think the idea that The Passion of the Christ is a "god awfull movie" to be both laughable, and an unfortunate choice of words. And while critics were somewhat split in their recommendations, very few, to my memory, could bring themselves to criticize it on the whole. If nothing else, it's very technically accomplished, and the majority of criticisms leveled against it had nothing to do with filmmaking.

Now, to the point of the thread: I don't grant the premise that there is much of a trend. I think religious symbolism has always existed in great films, and always will. Religion touches upon fundamental human themes; that's one of the things that moves us about it. Any movie that wants to move people, then, is going to find itself touching on a lot of those same themes. The Bible isn't called "The Greatest Story Ever Told" for nothing. Religion is everywhere; how is a movie involving any degree of humanity supposed to avoid touching on it?

The People's Republic of Clogher
When does a contrary opinion become a deliberately contrary opinion and, thus, trollism?

That's the question I'll be asking this Christmas...

When does a contrary opinion become a deliberately contrary opinion and, thus, trollism?

That's the question I'll be asking this Christmas...
Well that's tuesday

hmm i think people are getting interested to watch such movies related to religion...though it seems like religion are being use in movies...i think theres no problem with that...as long as for good purpose..

OK, being a somewhat religious person, I would say that I don't go to movies to be preached at or to learn any deep religious truths. I don't see a real trend towards religion in movies, but there have been a few in recent history that obviously had it as their main theme.

That being said, I am ok with religion being part of a films theme, however, I avoid going to movies that overtly push religion or a single point of view at the audience. As I have stated in the past, I think movies should entertain, not teach/preach. If I want to learn more about my faith or beliefs, I'll go to church.

Give me the sci-fi/action/comedy movies and I'm happy to pay the admission, but don't expect me to pay to "learn" (that's what college is for :P ).

Founding member of the Divide by Zero Foundation.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system!!

Lost in never never land
Obviously we've seen a trend recently, with religion being a stronger element in films as of late. I saw I am Legend and noted the phrase "god still loves us" on the wall of a skyscraper in New York City.
I think that is notably reading into that much more then it is meant to be. In the face of any sort of disaster/trouble, people are going to naturally turn towards religion (in that they look for anything to make any sort of sense of it), so I think that is all that it meant to be.

Are people going to see films based on faith? There have been HUGE box office openings for films - for example - I am Legend opened up at $76 million....

Does anyone like this trend in film? Do you think it's a guaranteed money maker? The Golden Compass opened slow, but it appears to be picking up speed internationally...
While The Golden Compass did get hurt by the fact that it can be construed as an anti-god (any diety of any religion) film and that did hurt it, it also hurt it that it got rocked by reviews. And I am Legend isn't an overtly religious film (and probably more avoidable by Christians for violence), but it is a better constructed film.

As for people going to see films based on faith, Hollywood did figure out, after The Passion of the Christ, that Christians are willing to go theaters if they don't feel threatened by language/violence/sex in a film, so a lot of the production companies have made divisions for Christian films. But in reality most overtly Christian films aren't going to do well for several reasons, 1) most non-Christians and a lot of the Christian youth, aren't going to see a movie without some violence or action or something that is construed in the tightest reading of it as non-Christian and 2) so many Christian movies suck because the plots, since you can't have language/sex (almost romance) or violence become so far off of the beaten path that they end up being little more then feel good drivel.

I think that there is definitely a market there that Hollywood can tap into, but until there is an actually good Christian filim, Hollywood should focus more on avoiding controversial films (to bring in the Christian audience) then finding any sort of Christian film.

Just on a side note, I am a Christian (and I refuse to debate it because when someone wants to debate/discusssion it, they already have their mind made up so it really isn't a debate/discussion most of the time) and I am trying to screenwrite, but I don't write the normal Christian drivel as I'm not afraid to write something that is more "real" and in reality, people swear and bad things happen, and Christians, to often, try to ignore that fact, which is why so much drivel is out there.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

I personally like Passion of The Christ,. anyway, how about Da Vinci Code?

I think it is a great idea to incorporate religion in films. It will be a great medium in strengthening faith and fear in God and in teaching kids about what is morally and biblically right.

The main problem with The Da Vinci Code was that it was supposed to entertain, and it bored and patronized its audience. Regardless of where you stand on the way history of Christianity was portrayed in The Da Vinci Code, you will most likely hate Tom Hanks' terrible apologizing monologue near the end of the movie. Even if you are glad that the movie doesn't completely dismiss religion, you will hate the movie for its incredible cowardice.

Lost in never never land
One of my biggest knocks on The Da Vinci Code is the main character in the fact that he has no real possible flaw at all. In the movie his single flaw is that he is claustrophobic, not really that serious a flaw, and he is releived of that within minutes of the film starting, so basically we have a human version of Superman running around in Tom Hanks' character. The problem is the same in the book, but a little less clearly stated (unless you read Angels and Demons where it is even more obvious that the character Tom Hanks' plays is actually Superman).

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I think the fact that The Passion of the Christ - made so much money : while being a god awfull movie , sums it all up
The movie Passion of the Christ stirred up lots of speculations. Yes it was a movie about Christ and religion, but other people seem to think that the movie was a bit too harsh. It was not reality-based anymore. Still people came to watch it and the movie actually made millions of money.

I don't completely agree that the Passion of the christ was not reality based. What u saw came close to reality, but was really worse than that. I think it's almost impossible trying to re-create such a horrible event. I think Gibson did very well and came really 'close' to what really happened. Anyway wich movie doesn't speak about good versus evil? So religion is an universal theme for 99% of movies.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
The Passion of the Christ
The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe
Saved
Contact
Pulp Fiction featured a Bible-quoting character
Leap of Faith

TV-wise, there's been even more:
LOST has religious themes
Six Feet Under did, as well
Friday Night Lights has very matter-of-fact handling of the characters' religion(s)
Buffy and Angel were both about the nature of Good and Evil

It's not an overwhelming trend, but I definitely see an increase in religious references of late. It was sort of taboo for a long time there - the occasional reference popped up, but not so much as now.

So many good movies, so little time.
Some of my favorite movies about religion

1. A Man for All Seasons (1966)
2. The Life of Brian (1979)
3. No Country for Old Men (2007)
4. The Apostle (1997)
5. Ordet (1955)
6. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
7. The Message (1976)
8. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
9. Black Robe (1991)
10. Becket (1964)

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

I think it is a great idea to incorporate religion in films. It will be a great medium in strengthening faith and fear in God and in teaching kids about what is morally and biblically right.
I'm assuming you're referring to Christianity… and if so, to me, it begs the question, what about other religions? Do they get equal billing? And, given Hollywood's track record in dealing with history and various ethnic groups, would you really trust them with something as personal as religion…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Certifiably troglodytic.

I would say that the real money-maker is great Story. Artificially or prematurely sprinkling a bit of any faith into a weak and unapproachable micro-narrative increases the chances of it devolving into a variety of plot conveniences. Such generally washes up as tripe. When the story line of the film is grand enough (that is to say, it poses the most universally important dilemmas and questions to human existence), it can't help but necessitate asking these fundamental existential questions, which include the question of God. There is a way to do that with reflective clarity, sensibility and acuity, and, in my opinion, most (with some exceptions noted here by others in this thread) of the emotionally honest and hardcore handling of these questions in cinema have been by those decidedly non-Christian.

Arguably, most Christo-centric productions have to determine early on the audience to whom they will cater the most. Perhaps that is as much as an economic decision as it is a philosophical one, supposing that most Christian audiences may not be willing to wrestle with challenging questions (insofar as it challenges their blindly-held predispositions, if present) in the name of entertainment.

Of the percentage of people in the United States who believe in God, some polls point to numbers in the 90's. That, and the pre-release publicity which went on for months (not to mention full-scale blitzes in Catholic and Protestant churches across the board)-- could easily account for the profit. As Yoda points out, I fail to see anything substantive undergirding your "summation." Rail against the film all you'd like, but give us some real meat to chew on that's not interstitially woven to your own hide.

Now, to the subjective: I think the idea that The Passion of the Christ is a "god awfull movie" to be both laughable, and an unfortunate choice of words.
That being said, Meat's word choice appears to be cloaked with limp intention.

Now, to the point of the thread: I don't grant the premise that there is much of a trend. I think religious symbolism has always existed in great films, and always will. Religion touches upon fundamental human themes; that's one of the things that moves us about it. Any movie that wants to move people, then, is going to find itself touching on a lot of those same themes. The Bible isn't called "The Greatest Story Ever Told" for nothing. Religion is everywhere; how is a movie involving any degree of humanity supposed to avoid touching on it?
I agree. Even more pointedly, the questions that religion poses aren't even necessarily belonging to any particular tradition to which or by which we are drawn or repulsed. The inquiry into the truth of our condition, our whence or whither and just how it is we can know or be known belong to all of humanity and indeed seed the greatest of film-making.

While The Golden Compass did get hurt by the fact that it can be construed as an anti-god (any diety of any religion) film and that did hurt it, it also hurt it that it got rocked by reviews. And I am Legend isn't an overtly religious film (and probably more avoidable by Christians for violence), but it is a better constructed film.
True, and I would further argue that I Am Legend more specifically deals with the ages-old conflict between religion and science and attempts to ameliorate the issue(s) in the ultimate journey of Neville, which includes themes of hubris, creation/loss, banishment/isolation, suffering, dismantling and redefining faith and the certain, salvific prototyping (if not scape-goating) of his character as a whole. That Legend isn't overtly religious (i.e., it doesn't adopt a certain culture and attending truisms of a particular religious tradition) is the strength of its religiosity.

I would also assert that the Passion was categorically more violent than Legend in order to say that the inclusion of violence is not a bad thing for a Christian audience as long as it has a place in the story and it isn't blatantly gratuitous. It is inherent in Christian doctrine that the universe we live in is a violent energy system complicated by moral and natural evil. As long as the story is served to that end, violence should be depicted; the question is just how much is visually necessary.

As for people going to see films based on faith, Hollywood did figure out, after The Passion of the Christ, that Christians are willing to go theaters if they don't feel threatened by language/violence/sex in a film, so a lot of the production companies have made divisions for Christian films. But in reality most overtly Christian films aren't going to do well for several reasons, 1) most non-Christians and a lot of the Christian youth, aren't going to see a movie without some violence or action or something that is construed in the tightest reading of it as non-Christian and 2) so many Christian movies suck because the plots, since you can't have language/sex (almost romance) or violence become so far off of the beaten path that they end up being little more then feel good drivel.
I would tend to agree with that assessment by adding that modern Christianity (with some exception to some postmodern Christian expressions) has never been very good at being conversant with cultural trends and finding refreshing, new ways to tell the same "old story." This leads to most "Christian" movies "sucking" because they wax into pallid, low-quality copycat versions of what's already being done well, artistically speaking.

I think that there is definitely a market there that Hollywood can tap into, but until there is an actually good Christian filim, Hollywood should focus more on avoiding controversial films (to bring in the Christian audience) then finding any sort of Christian film.
If your/our definition of "Christian film" stands, perhaps we shouldn't have Christian films per se, but films made by thoughtful and reflective Christians who can indeed handle controversy in film rather than avoid it. If all we're after is the "Christian" dollar, I'm afraid all we'll get is the "Christian" film we deplore.

Just on a side note, I am a Christian (and I refuse to debate it because when someone wants to debate/discusssion it, they already have their mind made up so it really isn't a debate/discussion most of the time) and I am trying to screenwrite, but I don't write the normal Christian drivel as I'm not afraid to write something that is more "real" and in reality, people swear and bad things happen, and Christians, to often, try to ignore that fact, which is why so much drivel is out there.
Debating or discussing the tenets of your Christian identity should not deter you from doing so regardless of the mindset of the one with whom you're conversing. That much may help to inform your screenwriting as you will inevitably be assigning various positions (for or against certain issues) to your characters as the issues are resolved (or not) in the storyline. The key for yourself and your debate/discussion "partner" is the intellectual/emotional honesty to which each can aspire throughout the process. And it's not about who's "righter" than the other because sometimes the questions and the way we wrestle with them are much more self-revelatory than the answers might ever be.

Huh? There are hoards of low-budget terrible films about religion, and it's rare than an overtly religious film does well. The Passion of the Christ is a completely unique box office phenomenon.
I haven't seen Passon and don't plan to since it has virtually none of the factors I look for in entertainment. But from what I've read pro and con about the movie and about Mel Gibson's and his dad's subsequent remarks about Jews, I do suspect it's main premise may have been to whip up animosity among fundamental Christians toward Jews.

I don't grant the premise that there is much of a trend.
Certainly not compared to Cecil B. DeMille two epics about Ben-Hur and films like Intolerance, The Greatest Story Ever Told, The Bible, Quo Vadis, A Man Called Peter, Shoes of the Fisherman, The Prophet, David and Bathsheba, The Silver Chalice, and all the morality plays like God Is My Co-Pilot, Greed, Rain, The Next Voice You Hear, etc. It strikes me there have been very few films about religion in recent years compared to the relatively large numbers from the days of silent film up through the 1950s and into the 1960s. I think in the last two decades Hollywood's view of religion has smacked more of the intolerance and manipulation of Elmer Gantry or Inherit the Wind than the relilgious fervor of Prince of Peace or even Cabin in the Sky.

Not having seen the new I Am Legend, I'm puzzled as to how that would qualify as a religious film since my recollection of the original book and first two films was that it was about a world of vampires. Guess they must have really changed the plot in the latest version.

Still a sign on a building claiming "God still cares" (or whatever the phrase was) doesn't seem all that different from the closing scene of On the Beach where a banner proclaiming "There's Still Time, Brother" spans the street of a world dead from radiation. And I sure don't consider On the Beach to be a religious film or even much of a morality play.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I think religion has a BIG part to do with people going to see it, such as with the Golden Compass, sure it wasn't that good, but would have made way more if people hadn't boycotted it do to it's
anti-religious themes