Tools    

I am wondering if anyone is watching this and what your thoughts are. I watched both "Yellowstone" and "1883" previously. I really liked "1883," so I was really looking forward to this, but I'm liking this one much less. It seems to have a less focused, less tight story than 1883 did, and so far, it feels much less like a western story to me. I also find Harrison Ford, who I was looking forward to seeing, to be far too old for the role that he is playing, which is surprising to me since Taylor Sheridan, the creator and writer of the show, said that he wrote the role for him to portray. I really haven't seen Harrison Ford in a leading role since "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" but here he just seems weak, tired, and kind of lacking in terms of the energy of the performance and his charisma. His voice also seems to be quite strained and much rougher than it used to be. Has anybody else noticed this? To me, there's a significant difference between 1923 and his other performances, and I'm wondering, is this because this is how Harrison Ford saw the role, so he's playing it that way? Or, whether these things that I'm noticing are a result of his now being 80 years old. To me, Helen Mirren is the stand out in this series, and she is close to the same age as Ford at 77, but she seems the same to me. I also quite like the actress who plays Alex, who I don't think I've ever seen before. Taylor Sheridan appears to have a really good judgment for casting new talent, as the stand out in 1883 was Isabel May, who played Elsa Dutton. I had also never seen her before, but to me she stole the show! What does everyone think of the show and Ford's performance in it?

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't heard of the series. With Helen Mirren (still a doll even without makeup) and Harrison Ford-- I'm in.

Will let you know my take after a few eps.

Hmmm. I watched only the first ep, and thought the writing to be mediocre, including a terrible opening.

I like Ford, but he seems self conscious or a little out of place in his portrayal of Jacob Dutton. He likely gets better as the series progresses.

Mirren is flawless, but her part will take some getting used to.

Casting Michelle Randolph in the part of Jack Dutton's fiance was ridiculous. She looks like she just walked out of a store on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. If they had to use her they should have made her and her hair look time specific. No one wore their hair like that in 1923-- certainly not in cattle country...

I saw a million westerns growing up in the '50s, so that setting doesn't particularly grab me. My wife doesn't watch westerns, so I'll likely watch another ep or two when she's not around. Let's put it this way: the show has a better chance of getting better rather than worse...

I like Ford, but he seems self conscious or a little out of place in his portrayal of Jacob Dutton. He likely gets better as the series progresses.
I think the role needed someone like a Clint Eastwood, or a Kevin Costner type. In my opinion, had Clint Eastwood been twenty years younger, he would have been a good fit for the role Harrison Ford is playing. As for age-appropriate actors who could portray the role, I could see Jeff Bridges doing well with it, given his performance in "Hell or High Water." Does anyone else have any other ideas for alternatives?

I think the role needed someone like a Clint Eastwood, or a Kevin Costner type. In my opinion, had Clint Eastwood been twenty years younger, he would have been a good fit for the role Harrison Ford is playing. As for age-appropriate actors who could portray the role, I could see Jeff Bridges doing well with it, given his performance in "Hell or High Water." Does anyone else have any other ideas for alternatives?
There are a lot of guys who would qualify: Ed Harris, Tom Berenger, David Thewlis, and even Mark Rylance if they could afford him..

IMO H. Ford is better in lighter roles.

I could definitely see Ed Harris in Ford's role. Good suggestion. Outside of Rylance, I'm less familiar with the majority of the other actors you cite.

You ready? You look ready.
I am finally caught up and, for the love of God, if that nephew doesn't get back to Montana in the next episode I am done and not watching the next season.

What's next? A sink hole is gonna open up and swallow them?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I just finished the season. Overall, my views on this are the same. I like it, and will watch a second season, but I didn't enjoy it much as 1883, and I also enjoy the Yellowstone series more too, so this would be third in line. I also feel like the show would have been better had it had a smaller, more self contained, more cohesive story that was less disjointed. To me, the part of the show that focuses on Jacob's nephew falling in love and struggling to make his way home kind of feels like it belongs to a different show, and I have yet to see how that storyline really connects to the rest of the show. They also, from my perspective, have taken far too long to bring him home and integrate him with the rest of the characters and the stateside story.