Looking for films in which protagonist is revealed through others

Tools    

Might be a bit tricky, but I'm looking for films in which the main protagonist is moreso revealed through accounts of others, letters, etc. The only one that's coming to my mind is The Killers (1946), but I'm sure I've seen more. In that film, Burt Lancaster gets murdered within the first 5 minutes. He does appear throughout the film, but only in flashbacks told to the detective on the case.

Are there any other films in which you really learn about a character almost completely second-hand? I know Apocalypse Now does this to some extent, but not exactly in the way I'm looking for. Thanks in advance!

Ah yes, of course. How could I forget that one? Still looking for more titles if you or anyone else has em!

The Third Man (1949)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Welcome to the human race...
Harry's not the protagonist of The Third Man, though.

I reckon Snake from Escape From New York qualifies - everything revealed about him as a character is through the other characters (one reads out his war/criminal records, the running gag about people who thought he was dead, etc.)

The Third Man (1949)
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Jonathan Shields (Kirk Douglas) in The Bad and the Beautiful (1952) and Maria Vargas (Ava Gardner) in The Barefoot Contessa (1954) are two that immediately spring to mind.