The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame V: Comedy Edition

Tools    

The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame
V
Comedy Edition

It's back! And I'm hosting it I messaged Cricket and asked if he was going to host again and if he minded if I did something a bit different. He only said three words in his reply...Go for it!

Past Winners
Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame I
Winner-Neiba

Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II
Winner-TheUsualSuspect

Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame: Foreign Language Edition
Winner-Citizen Rules

Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame IV
Winner-Hey Fredrick

Seeing how the Comedy Countdown is open to all comedy movies not just those that are tagged 'comedies', same goes here. This time all comedies are open to being picked not just those on the MoFo list.

You're trying to find a 'comedy' movie that the person you're choosing for will like & or think is funny. You don't necessary have to like it yourself and it's not necessary that you've watched it before. Just take your best guess based on what you know someone likes and dislikes in comedies.

Rules of Participation:  

Members:
Citizen Rules
Allaby
John Dumbear
Wyldesyde
Ueno Station
edarsenal
TheUsualSuspect
Phoenix74
Siddon
Takoma11
Cricket

Deadline May 24th

Allaby watches: Done, ballot received

Waitress (2007)
The Castle (1997)
The Extra Girl (1923)
Christmas in Connecticut (1945)
Dinner at Eight (1933)
My Favorite Year (1982)
Sunny (2011)
Auntie Mame (1958)
Four Lions (2010)
Zero Effect (1998)

Citizen Rules watches: Done, ballot finalized

See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989)
The Bank Dick (1940)
Victor Victoria (1982)
Waitress (2007)
Black Belt Jones (1974)
Bugsy Malone (1976)
Ghost Town (2008)
Knives Out (2019)
Take the Money and Run (1969)
Beetlejuice (1988)

Cricket watches: Done, ballot finalized

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
Quo Vado (2016)
Blade of the Immortal (2017)
Ocean's Eleven (1960)
Don't Look Up (2021)
Chicken Run (2000)
Don't Talk to Irene (2017)
With Honors (1994)
Wrong (2012)
Thank You for Smoking (2005)

Edarsenal watches: Done, ballot finalized

Boy (2010)
A Nous La Liberte (1931)
Alfie (1966)
Bananas (1971)
Diner (1982)
Kiss Me, Stupid (1964)
Blithe Spirit (1945)
Ready or Not (2019)
Symbol (2009)
Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999)

Phoenix74 watches: Done, ballot received

Kung fu Hustle (2004)
Brand Upon the Brain! (2006)
The Hospital (1971)
Frankenhooker (1990)
The Player (1992)
Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
Swiss Army Man (2016)
Visitor Q (2001)
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)
Arthur (1981)

Siddon watches
: Done, ballot received

Used Cars (1980)
Death at a Funeral (2007)
Logan Lucky (2017)
Good Morning, Vietnam
Camp Death III in 2D! (2018)
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001)
Avanti! (1972)
One Two Three (1961)
CODA (2021)

Takoma watches
: Done, ballot received

All the Way to Paris (1966)
Happiness of the Katakuri's (2001)
The Pink Panther Strikes Back (1976)
A Man Called Ove (2015)
Parade (1974)
Holiday (1938)
Cold Pursuit (2019)
The Graduate (1967)
Werewolves Within (2021)
Jackass: The Movie (2002)

Ueno Station watches: Done, ballot received

The Burbs (1989)
¡Átame! (1989)
Twentieth Century Oz (1976)
World's Greatest Dad (2009)
Hairspray (1988)
Happiness (1988)
Josie and the Pussycats (2001)
Harold and Maude (1971)
Schizopolis (1996)
Duck Soup (1933)

For just this one time....We could open this up to all comedies not just those listed on the MoFo List.

I can see advantages in both ways. If you have opinion post it

For the type of comedies I like, I enjoy:

witty, intelligent, well written comedies
Cute, fun family comedies
musical comedies
romantic comedies
classic or silent comedies

I am not usually in to vulgar comedies with bathroom type humour or poop jokes. I don't usually like really dark or mean spirited comedies.

I would be in favour of opening it up to any comedies, not just those on the lists.

I’ve never participated in one of these, so would like to throw my hat into the ring. Especially, since it’s comedy, my favorite genre.

My taste? Pride myself on being unable to be offended, by anything. That’s what makes comedy great… no rules.

I’ve never participated in one of these, so would like to throw my hat into the ring. Especially, since it’s comedy, my favorite genre.

My taste? Pride myself on being unable to be offended, by anything. That’s what makes comedy great… no rules.
Good to have you! I remember you were in the Movie Roulette and you were a good member there too.
Perfect, that gives us some idea of what you like, I'm going to put that on the second post.

For the type of comedies I like, I enjoy:

witty, intelligent, well written comedies
Cute, fun family comedies
musical comedies
romantic comedies
classic or silent comedies

I am not usually in to vulgar comedies with bathroom type humour or poop jokes. I don't usually like really dark or mean spirited comedies.
I put your comedy likes & dislikes on the 2nd post. Thanks for posting those.

I would be in favour of opening it up to any comedies, not just those on the lists.
That might be helpful as there's not that much comedies on the MoFo list. I'll see how the voting goes and go with the majority.

The trick is not minding
to the dismay of everyone i might be in on this. moreso if its open to anything.
I always look forward to your nominations, as I’ve enjoyed them in the past so far.

to the dismay of everyone i might be in on this. moreso if its open to anything.
That in itself is funny It's looking like any film can be picked as long as the person you're picking for hasn't seen it...the goal of course is to pick something they will like and think is funny, but you don't have to find it funny yourself.

oh i guess i should give my little spiel about what kind of funnies i like then. i guess i'm more into absurdist, "lol so random XD" type humour. stuff that gets as much of an exasperated "whaaaat???" as it does a laugh. to broaden this a bit i like visual comedy. slapstick is good, stuff with editing gags are a big plus, stuff that really use the medium instead of just funny lines. i don't really know how much that helps lol i've never really thought about what i think is funny before.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm in.

I love the old screwball, slapstick humor with vaudevillian flavor. Anything that tips a hat to that works great for me. Kung Fu Hustle, The Good, The Bad, The Weird does that I truly love them for it.
Silly humor works well for me when it comes to British comedy. Think Monty Python, Peter Sellers, Hitcher's Guide to the Universe and you can add Dry/Clever/Witty Humor when it comes to British Comedy as well.
A lot of the Quirky films work, but not all of them.
Quite a few animations from Pixar, Dreamworks, and the like have scored very high in laughter for me.

I despise pretty much the recent shock comedy from the States in the past two decades. So, please, skip that whole Hangover, slasher parodies, Zoolander stuff, or anything with Adam Sandler or his click. There have been very, VERY few of the newer comedies that caused me laughter from the States. Like anything, there are rare exceptions, but they are rare and hard to pinpoint.