The Books Tab

Tools    

Didn't see such a thing on here, (odd, maybe I'm not searching correctly, and if I didn't feel free to close and direct this topic to the proper thread, but...) ... what books are you currently reading? Could be anything. Fiction, Non-Fiction... a comic or manga... or even an illustrated work that seems to entirely "defy" definition like the Codex: Seraphinianus... either way:
  • What are you reading?
  • How are you liking it thus far?
  • And, (if you've read it), what's your assessment?

I'll go first...

I'm currently in the process of reading Mortimer J. Adler's How to Read a Book. Rather informative and insightful, (even in it's first publication in the 1930's). It discusses the various "types" of reading, the levels and stages, and makes a case that many are "cast" within the first level of reading—the elementary level—and that the higher levels haven't been much discussed as, with most people familiar to our American Education system—for which this book was primarily written—much of our "reading" instruction "stops" at around the sixth through ninth grades. Any further instruction in the matter being very remedial. This includes the promises of "speed reading," which again the author describes as a necessary skill, but a "remedial" one at best as the aim of "speed reading" should not be to "read every material as fast as possible," but rather aim for "varying" speeds in your readings. Reading "light/understood" material "quicker" than say reading "more dense and difficult." Adler, (knowing about him as I have a few of his philosophical works, especially involving his work in the philosophy of logic), continues to be a philosopher of the writ word with this book. And his descriptions in this expository work of the levels of reading—and their stages and "How to's" therein—are very informative, insightful, well-explained, and perhaps upon application, although I have not finished the work enough to try, would be very useful to future readings. Which, (admittedly), is why I decided to read this book in the first place.

Something I discovered along my own educational pursuits, (admittedly to informal and within the confines of being a personal-autodidact, as, at least within the American Education system—I found it sorely lacking for any intellectual or curious mind), that the going of approach from the "How's" and "Why's/Histories" of something... and then building a knowledge from such bone structure, was highly rewarding, and then the "fleshings on" from there. Example is like trying to understand English "Kitchen Sink Realism" without knowing much about the nation, the culture, and the times and histories in when it came about... and then the next problem you have seems to be how to "read" said films structurally and formatically speaking after you have ascertained more-or-less of the content they describe therein.

All this to be said, it was this curiosity—and with some background knowledge and knowing-enough-to-know I'm ill-equipped as a reader—that I pursued this work. Hopefully it provides, (as promised), more than just a "remedial" publication, but an expansion of a much needed skill.

Still reading this book and taking much time with it. I may decide to go over it again a few times, with further "goings over" submitting this work to life application.

All This Said...

What are you reading?
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

On the side I'm reading this...

One Punch Man (Series)

I'm on Volume 13 right now and I got the feeling awhile ago that this series was slowing down... just doesn't "grab" me as they've introduced so many characters and the author doesn't seem to spend much time with any of them, including the main character himself, that I really don't seem to "care" at all about what happens on the page. Even the story feels this way. It just moves from one "lack of central development" to the next. What "grabs" me is the humor, and I find enough of it within the "Bonus Works," (for which there are a number per Volume), to keep me "going" enough... but within the main thread I don't have much interest all things be told truthfully...

My Darth Star is in for a service
I've done a lot of reading over the last few years but haven't picked a book up since before Christmas last year.
I have read just about all David Baldacci's stuff.
Just about all Michael Connelly's stuff.
Just about all Lee Child's stuff.
I've read a huge chunk of Mark Billingham's books.
The complete D.I. Faraday series from Graham Hurley.
Most of Kathy Reich's 'Bones' books.
Other authors including Tess Gerritsen, Karin Slaughter, Anthony Horowitz, Alex Kava and M.J.Arlidge.

At the last count it was over 200 books.

Just about all Lee Child's stuff.
My Dad's a HUGE fan of Child. Haven't read any of his works personally, but my Dad's always on the hunt for his latest work. May get around to him at some point though, it'd be a good conversation piece I think between Father and Son.