The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Burning is nothing at all like any Tarantino film.
See I was right the first time:
Yet two more movies I've not seen. So I guess I can't comment on them.

The truth is in here
I disagree with the assessment of Korean cinema in general. Although movies like Oldboy and Parasite aren't afraid to go violent and contain some crazy plot points, they still don't remind me of Tarantino's style at any point.

Yeah, Tarantino's style is a lot more than violence and crazy plot points. MKS can probably write more about his style than I could, but whenever you're watching a Tarantino film, you can clearly tell - by way of the catchy/try-hard dialogue - director cameos - usage of fetishes - that his films are from someone who's super indulgent (which I don't necessarily mean in a bad way) and is clearly giving themselves a pat on the back after each scene of dialogue. I haven't seen anything like that for the South Korean films I've watched, not for Burning, not for Parasite, not for Oldboy, nor for any other Korean film I've seen to date.

I've been away for 5 or 6 days (and about 30 pages) so, naturally, bar one, I've not seen any of the films revealed. I've actually seen Guardians Of The Galaxy. Back in the days of watchalongs on here we watcched this. It was OK but not anything I've seen since or have any interest in seeing again. Not turn it off bad were it on though.

Into the top 50 now and I can really see just why I've not bothered watching much for the last 15 years or so.

I don’t like modern action movies. I am not interested in the ballet of ridiculous fights that could never happen. They have become fantasies. They have no real grit and they do not move me.
I mostly agree with this, though there are times where the boldened part does work for me. But mainly in the 90's and mainly when it's John Woo.

Still not sure who gets the originality credit for the whole 'move up levels in building' concept but it was executed so well here in Mega-City One by Travis
Me neither. But Game Of Death is as early as I can think off the top of my head, which is 35+ years before any of these.

Those of you who talk of being the Mofo outsider and having differing tastes to the crowd, come sit next to the guy who put the first wheel on that bandwagon.

but I think I’ve had a realization… maybe in fact, there’s nothing all that wrong with some of the movies popping up on this list, even though I dislike or don’t think much of a few of them.

Maybe instead, it’s the whole decade that’s just not that great.
Finally. Welcome to the club.

I didn't care for True Grit, I didn't hate it either...but John Wayne was so much better in the original. The remake was just another watch it and forget it movie.
Wow. How bad is the remake?

I've still got about 10 pages to go but I've got to go, so I'll post this and come and slag off the rest later.

I've had Burning on my watchlist for a while. I would've made sure to watch it before sending my ballot but I had no clue it was this popular.

I was really into Sicario in the early going but then I got bored of it. Maybe one I could give another shot.

I don't have any guesses. Just wanted to say that this video is very familiar to me because I use it as part of teaching narrative writing to my students. It's a small world!

Certainly Speling wouldn't be so obvious to use a Facebook image for a Social Network hint... or is that reverse psychology? or is he thinking we'll think it's reverse psychology so it's NOT The Social Network? Hmm...