Where Are The GOOD Movies From Netflix?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Most people treat film in a not serious way. .

Some might not, but many do... I also think an audience can be cultivated. You mentioned Criterion. Let's say that was the replacement on Netflix. At first, they might be taken aback, like I was when I first saw "Minnie and Moskowitz", because so many movies are similar, regardless of how different they appear on the surface. Every movie buff probably started watching mainstream stuff. Some get sick of it, and some (like me) rent things they haven't seen, and after a while, they become more self-aware and start to enjoy Criterion type of movies, because they've had practice, and can prepare for another movie that is unique from the rest.

The problem is those in power think very lowly of the audience, because they're out of touch, elitist, and think they're smarter than everyone else. Great art doesn't leave anyone cold. People just understand varying degrees of it, usually relating it to their own life. I read it all the time. "Yeah, ME and YOU appreciate great works of art, but the audience is dumb".. If you keep giving them dumb stuff, they'll watch it, like the movies you mentioned (that I didn't quote), because they're not given much choice and the public is being treated as children, which is the rise of movies made for children, even if the characters are adults. Problem-solution type of movies. Formulas.

"Rocky" was an low-budget independent movie, but when it made a ton of money (like "Easy Rider"), the indie label went away because of commerce. I'd add that studios never take chances, and make many less movies, hoping everything is a blockbuster, which many film historians admit after Star Wars, Jaws, etc..

Some might not, but many do... I also think an audience can be cultivated. You mentioned Criterion. Let's say that was the replacement on Netflix. At first, they might be taken aback, like I was when I first saw "Minnie and Moskowitz", because so many movies are similar, regardless of how different they appear on the surface. Every movie buff probably started watching mainstream stuff. Some get sick of it, and some (like me) rent things they haven't seen, and after a while, they become more self-aware and start to enjoy Criterion type of movies, because they've had practice, and can prepare for another movie that is unique from the rest.
But some people have no interest in cultivating an appreciation for the films in the Criterion wheelhouse.

There are many purposes with which a person can approach art. Some people just want something unchallenging and bright/loud/fun at the end of a long day. Criterion is great---and I watch a lot of movies from them--but not when you just want to turn your brain off and unwind.

The problem is those in power think very lowly of the audience, because they're out of touch, elitist, and think they're smarter than everyone else. Great art doesn't leave anyone cold.
This just isn't true. At all. I'm frequently enthralled by movies that few would consider "great art" and can think of at least a few "great" films that don't raise my pulse one bit.

Netflix has plenty of films that are great or at least aspire to legitimate artistry, like tick tick BOOM or There Will Be Blood or Phantom Thread or Passing or Wind River or Hell or High Water, The Exorcist, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, or the recent Power of the Dog.

Streaming companies that double as content generators are in an unhealthy cycle with consumers. There is a constant demand for more, more, more. As a result they generate a lot of junk. I don't think it's driven by contempt for consumers so much as just the reality of producing a lot of content. If tomorrow Netflix announced, "Hey, ya'll, for the next year we will be releasing only five films a month, two big budget and three indies with established or up-and-coming directors!" their business would flop.

You say that those in power think very little of the audience, but it sounds like you're assuming that they're not smart enough to know that there are good movies out there. You're assuming that people need to be "saved" from Netflix. It's like assuming that people in line at Burger King have just never heard of a steak dinner.

I do not need to be saved. Just let me watch Glow Up and James Acaster stand-up, Stardust for the billionth time and British cooking shows and awesome-trashy movies like Brazen in peace. I've had a long day. It's not the time for Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant.

"Rocky" was an low-budget independent movie, but when it made a ton of money (like "Easy Rider"), the indie label went away because of commerce. I'd add that studios never take chances, and make many less movies, hoping everything is a blockbuster, which many film historians admit after Star Wars, Jaws, etc..
There are some definite not-Blockbuster films/TV on Netflix: Florida Project, Tuca & Bertie, Tangerine, Raw, etc. They also just put out The House, which is not something I imagine you sling in front of a group of people you think are morons.

Not a movie, but Episode 1 of Murderville made me laugh really hard just now. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Sadly that might be the best one. The Kumail one is very good though.

WARNING: spoilers below
Conan O'Brien
will more than likely be the high water mark in any comedic undertaking.

Personally, I like Unsolved Mysteries.

Here’s a blast from the past: Netflix and the producers of Stranger Things revived the old CBS series (which many of us know from endless repeats on Lifetime) as an episodic alternative to their wave of true-crime series. The result is a snappy update of the open-ended format, but as always, the one about the UFOs is the best.

I like Adam´s project

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It's geared more towards people who like tossing their money in the garbage.

Haha - no kidding! I tried to search for IMDB lists of "Independent Movies" (I've seen most the rest), so I could arrange it from Release Date, and go back to the oldest movie. They don't exist, but there are a couple of Egyptian movies that I have already seen that are good.

I just looked, and gee, I get it for free, and I still can't find more than one thing per three months, but it wasn't a movie, but I'll try to check the trailers of the movies that the people have posted.

"Schulz Saves America" tries to be a referee in modern society. I was reminded of a few things. And they're broken up in 15-minute episodes (4)

ARQ was pretty cool. Not too original, but a nice and enjoyable movie about time loops.

https://www.cnet.com/culture/enterta...the-full-list/

From the looks of it...little to nothing for 10 months. Five movies look okay...

The Killer -- Nov. 10: Based on the graphic novel series The Killer by Alexis Nolent (a.k.a Matz) and illustrated by Luc Jacamon. "After a fateful near-miss an assassin battles his employers, and himself, on an international manhunt he insists isn't personal."

Leave The World Behind -- Dec. 8: Based on the novel Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam. "A family vacation on Long Island is interrupted by two strangers bearing news of a mysterious blackout. As the threat grows more imminent, both families must decide how best to survive the potential crisis, all while grappling with their own place in this collapsing world."

Spaceman: "As an astronaut sent to the edge of the galaxy to collect mysterious ancient dust finds his earthly life falling to pieces, he turns to the only voice who can help him try to put it back together. It just so happens to belong to a creature from the beginning of time lurking in the shadows of his ship."

The Deepest Breath: Documentary. "A champion freediver trains to break a world record with the help of an expert safety diver, and the two form an emotional bond that feels like fate. This heart-stopping film follows the paths they took to meet at the pinnacle of the freediving world, documenting the thrilling rewards -- and inescapable risks -- of chasing a dream through the silent depths of the ocean."

Reptile: "Following the brutal murder of a young real estate agent, a hardened detective attempts to uncover the truth in a case where nothing is as it seems, and by doing so dismantles the illusions in his own life."

Untitled Wes Anderson/Roald Dahl Film: "Wes Anderson's adaptation of several Roald Dahl short stories including The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar."