The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

mark f

I couldn't find any rating/reviews mark wrote for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Silence (Martin Scorsese, 2016)
+

In 17th-century Japan, Christians and their Jesuit priests are tortured and killed.
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri made mark f's ballot at #12.

2. Nightcrawler (#55)
5. 1917 (#86)
12. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (#44)
14. The Act of Killing (#47)
20. World of Tomorrow (#99)
24. Behemoth (one pointer)

A system of cells interlinked
Seen both, and really enjoyed Silence. I did have it on my long list, but it got cut fairly early if I recall. Perhaps a rewatch would have had it more in contention for my list. I enjoyed Three Billboards, but haven't thought about it much since, and haven't had the urge to get back to it.

No votes!

I'm not sure what I think of Silence. I read Shūsaku Endō's novel (before the film came out) and found it interesting and moving, though I was hoping for a bit more raw theological insight. There was one moment/line that stuck with me in that regard, though, and it was inexplicably removed from the film adaptation entirely, even though it's essentially the emotional climax of the story. I still don't really get it.

Obviously a lovely, beautifully-made film anyway, but such an odd choice. I think Scorsese's instincts when he touches on religion more explicitly are kinda off.

I really liked Three Billboards and as always Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell kill it in the acting department. Looking forward to watching The Banshees of Inisherin - I should get on this.

Silence was good and has a lot of things going for it but if I recall it didn't really do it for me. It felt long and I wasn't engaged. It could very much have been my mood at the time.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I haven't seen Three Billboards yet, despite being a general fan of McDonough's.

I watched Silence recently and thought it was very good. Iffy accents or no, I found the questions it asked about belief/faith very interesting and I loved Garfield's performance. Didn't make my list, but a very powerful film.

Quite liked Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, enough so that it was on my long-list but it got cut quite quickly and I'm somewhat surprised to see it figure this highly. Not seen Scorsese's Silence.

Seen: 46/58 (Own: 29/58)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

Fun fact: Both directors have the same first name.

I remember Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri as the first R rated film I watched in the theaters. I loved it a lot back then and it was initially my favorite film of its respective year, but as the years went by and as I read some critiques of the film, I began to worry that it wouldn't hold up well if I were to rewatch it. Curious, I decided to give it another shot a year or two back and, while I wouldn't call it bad per se, it definitely didn't age well for me.

When I watched it in the theaters, I appreciated how the film twisted my expectations around a number of times. There were multiple scenes where I thought I knew where the film was going, only to be proven wrong time and time again. With later viewings of the film, however, I felt that the film occasionally sacrificed believable or compelling story elements to achieve this.
WARNING: spoilers below
The biggest offender here is Officer Dixon's redemptive arc. Throughout the first two thirds of the film, he was violent, racist, it was suggested that he tortured black people in the past, and he almost killed someone by throwing them out of a two story window. All of a sudden though, after he read the late deputy's letter to him where he asked him to be nicer, he was completely reformed of his past behavior and grew remorseful of his past actions right then and there. His arc was poorly fleshed out, rushed, and, quite frankly, I didn't find it believable at all. I'm also not sure what to make of the ending. Like, yeah, it's an unexpected way to end the film, but I'm also not sure I got much out of it in terms of finding the character arcs compelling. Of course, Officer Dixon not seeming to care about Mildred being responsible for burning him served to make his arc more unbelievable, but since I was left unsatisfied by their outcome and the ambiguity of their fates, this seemed to fall in the category of twisting audience expectations at the expense of compelling narrative elements. Like, I genuinely have no idea what the movie wants me to feel towards the ending.
On the other hand, McDormand, Harrelson, and Rockwell gave excellent trio performances, I loved the strong/badass characterization of Mildred and, despite what I said, there were some moments where I felt that the film twisting my expectations worked, but overall, I think this element was a very mixed bag and could've been handled way better.

Silence is really good, but I haven't thought much about it since the theaters. The Irishman is definitely my favorite 2010's-era Scorsese.

I really like Three Billboards, but it didn't make my ballot. I guess the final part of the movie didn't give me the hard and brave effect of the movie to me. This may be the reason for not including the movie. But I can say that if I'd make a list like top 40 it will be included.

I haven't seen Silence, but actually surprised to see it this ranking. I don't know why but this movie felt like easily forgotten and I've never heard anything about it after it released. Maybe just me.

Chris Evans was in four movies that made the countdown:
# 94. Captain America: Civil War
# 79. Avengers: Endgame
# 74. Knives Out
# 72. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Michael Shannon was in three movies that made the countdown:
# 74. Knives Out
# 67. Take Shelter
# 52. The Shape of Water
Jessica Chastain has been in three

#82. The Martian
#67. Take Shelter
#58. Zero Dark Thirty

Chris Hemsworth has been in two

# 88. The Cabin in the Woods
# 79. Avengers: Endgame

Sam Rockwell has been in two

#89. Jojo Rabbit
#44. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Toni Collette has been in two

#96. Hereditary
#74. Knives Out

Chris Pratt has been in two

#79. Avengers: Endgame
#58. Zero Dark Thirty

I tried to watch Three Billboards and found it so bombastic that I shut if off after 15 minutes.
I did watch Silence, and found it a chore to get through.

One of these days I'll have something enlighteningly positive to say about the movies

Interesting… I somehow didn’t think Silence would make it. It’s kind of an odd one out for Scorsese and I didn’t know it was that highly regarded that it could make a Top 50 of the entire decade. Hmm… I’ve seen like 45 minutes to an hour of it. I realized I wasn’t entirely in the mood for such film. But I thought it looked beautiful of course. I’m willing to try with it again some day.

As for Three Billboards I enjoyed it okay and it was a decent film, but it’s also one I kind of forget exists. It’s not one that really stays with me and it seemed like a movie really really popular around award season but then disappeared quite a bit after. I have no real desire to watch it again cause I don’t think I will love it more. Don’t think I’ll hate it either. I’ll most likely feel about the same.

Both good films, nothing bad to say about either of them, except both of them didn't make my top 200 of the decade. These two along with Civil War are the biggest surprises to me so far.

SEEN 45/58
BALLOT 12/25

Second batch in a row where I've seen neither. I fear I'm gonna have to turn down my "cinephile" card.

Both have been on my radar for a while. Even though I don't jump every time Scorsese releases a film, Silence seems like the kind of thing I would dig. As for Three Billboards, I seem to recall it getting some polarizing reactions back when it came out, which kinda held me back. However, it seems that the general consensus has settled more on the positive. Plus, I really like In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths, so I was planning to catch up with it soon.

So, here's where I'm at, including the chances for the rest of my list...

Seen: 43/58

My ballot:  

I feel like Speling trying to throw me off with these hints unintentionally. And I gotta give him props for it.
It's either that... or you're just not that good

I watched The Silence (2010) for this countdown which was great, but not Silence which I didn't know was so popular. I'm a big Scorsese fan but it looks like a tough watch.

Really enjoyed Three Billboards but need to see it again.

I think I’ve seen Three Billboards and didn’t like it but having a hard time remembering a lot of it.

Silence is excellent though. It feels like violence is gonna break out at any second even though you know from the subject matter that it’s not this type of movie.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is written, acted, and shot very well. Unfortunately, I can't remember enough to say more.

I'm not a big fan of Scorsese but Silence is one of my favorites from the guy. Obviously, not as great as Shinoda's adaptation, though.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I watched The Silence (2010) for this countdown which was great, but not Silence which I didn't know was so popular. I'm a big Scorsese fan but it looks like a tough watch.

Really enjoyed Three Billboards but need to see it again.

I love Das letzte Schweigen, as well, including it's ending, which made me uncomfortable.