The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
46. Yeah, Logan was the perfect guess.
45. You Were Never Really Here?

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

John Wick falls into the same category as The Raid films for me. I get it, I get why people like them, but they are not for me. Though I did do it a disservice by watching on a plane, a bigger screen would not have gotten it on my list.

Some films are good, some are important, and some are good and important. The Act of Killing is one of the latter, and was my #10. It is certainly a difficult watch (if it's not, something is wrong), but sometimes you have to look.

I forgot the opening line.
48. John Wick - My sister is the one who got me into the John Wick movies - but it took some doing. She likes action movies of the White House Down/Olympus Has Fallen variety, so when she strongly recommended John Wick to me I took it with a grain of salt. Her insistence sold me in the end, so when I had a chance I took it and it ended up being an introduction into the tightly choreographed action of today where the heroes are basically invincible fighting machines with super-fast reflexes, crazy moves and super secret jobs. This was good enough for me to keep up with the expanded story through Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 - but the first with the idiot son of the villain killing Wick's dog and stealing his car (only to unleash his Baba Yaga fury on everyone) is the best. The other ones are pretty good as well though. John Wick was nowhere near making my ballot despite me liking it quite a bit.

47. The Act of Killing - Okay, so I checked up on The Act of Killing to make sure I haven't seen it, and found that I definitely haven't seen this. It looks like the most incredible movie in all movie history, and I don't know why I didn't hear of it before now. It's going to be hard to hold down the massive expectations I have for it.

I watched Take Shelter yesterday so the gap between seen and unseen remains the same.

Seen 46/54

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I read that the premise of John Wick is that he gets revenge on the people who killed his dog, and I don't like to watch movies where the dog dies, especially if it's a violent death, so I never even considered watching the movie.

I haven't heard of The Act of Killing.

I read that the premise of John Wick is that he gets revenge on the people who killed his dog, and I don't like to watch movies where the dog dies, especially if it's a violent death, so I never even considered watching the movie.
While the death of the puppy is very upsetting, you can avoid it if as soon as the gangsters break into his house (about 14 minutes in), you just fast-forward to the 17-minute mark. There is no other animal abuse or death in the film after that point.

While the death of the puppy is very upsetting, you can avoid it if as soon as the gangsters break into his house (about 14 minutes in), you just fast-forward to the 17-minute mark. There is no other animal abuse or death in the film after that point.

Thanks, but unless I find a good reason to watch it, I'll probably just skip the John Wick movies. I might be able to avoid seeing the dog's death, but I'll still know that it happened, and I'll be very upset about it. There are plenty of other good movies to watch without someone killing an innocent animal.

Thanks, but unless I find a good reason to watch it, I'll probably just skip the John Wick movies. I might be able to avoid seeing the dog's death, but I'll still know that it happened, and I'll be very upset about it. There are plenty of other good movies to watch without someone killing an innocent animal.
Totally fair.

It falls very much into the action trope where someone the main character loves (wife, kids, partner, etc) is killed at the very beginning, and the rest of the film is revenge.

Have you seen the Chris Evans film Gifted? (I cannot believe I didn't recommend it to you in your thread preparing for the countdown!). I generally think it's a really good film, but as an animal lover there was one scene in particular that practically made me cheer out loud.

Totally fair.

It falls very much into the action trope where someone the main character loves (wife, kids, partner, etc) is killed at the very beginning, and the rest of the film is revenge.
I like action movies, but I don't like violence, and I've noticed that as I'm getting older, the violence in movies is affecting me more than it used to, so I don't watch a lot of revenge movies, (unless it's a movie that Hubby wants to see), because they tend to focus on the violence.

Have you seen the Chris Evans film Gifted? (I cannot believe I didn't recommend it to you in your thread preparing for the countdown!). I generally think it's a really good film, but as an animal lover there was one scene in particular that practically made me cheer out loud.
I haven't seen Gifted, but I like Chris Evans, so I'll look for it. (It's possible that you recommended it to me, but I might not have gotten to it. I got a lot of recommendations, and I tried to watch as many as I could, but I just couldn't watch all of them, and that one might have been one of the recs that slipped past me.)

I haven't seen Gifted, but I like Chris Evans, so I'll look for it. (It's possible that you recommended it to me, but I might not have gotten to it. I got a lot of recommendations, and I tried to watch as many as I could, but I just couldn't watch all of them, and that one might have been one of the recs that slipped past me.)
I just looked back through your thread and I don't think I recommended it.

It's a really sweet film. And a scene that they filmed in an animal shelter led to Evans adopting a dog from that shelter.

I just looked back through your thread and I don't think I recommended it.

It's a really sweet film. And a scene that they filmed in an animal shelter led to Evans adopting a dog from that shelter.

I just read the short summary on IMDB, and it sounds like it could be my kind of movie. I usually like good family dramas, so I added it to my watchlist. Thanks for the recommendation.

Since my last update (assuming I remember correctly when it was), two more films from my ballot have been revealed.

The VVitch was my #5. It's one of the few films I rewatched for this countdown, and it probably rose a few ranks because of that. The film is a stylistic and atmospheric little horror that still is the director's best work despite what Eggers himself may say.

John Wick was my #3. It has everything a good action film needs and very little else. The action sequences are great, and I like these old-school revenge tales.

Of the other films, the ones that were in more or less serious consideration for my ballot are Jojo Rabbit, Prisoners, and maybe even Joker. Quite a few films I haven't seen don't seem very appealing to me, but there are some that I should have watched already (like Gone Girl).

--
Seen: 24/54

My ballot (this far)  

I love John Wick and its sequels. Just pure action and for me, a perfectly righteous reason to go on a revenge spree!

The Act of Killing is one I have not seen nor do I wish to. No votes this go-round.

List so far:
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#11. Zero Dark Thirty #58
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65