The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Definitely deus ex machina for Ex Machina.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

On this subject, I'm certain that 49. is Ex Machina, but just in case, considering there's a superhero god in there I'll take a gamble and say Thor: Ragnorok. But no, there's no way Enemy is going above Prisoners in the Villeneuve battle.

there's no way Enemy is going above Prisoners in the Villeneuve battle.

Fair point. I've got nothing better for now, though.

I forgot the opening line.
50. Call Me By Your Name (Seems utterly wrong, but all the awesome answers have been taken)
49. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (See above)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
50. Whoever Reads This
49. May You Have a Wonderful Day
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I forgot the opening line.
52. The Shape of Water - The fifth Best Picture Oscar winner to make it here, and we have at the very least 2 more to come which will make it 7 overall - I think more than most people were guessing when this started. The Shape of Water isn't my favourite of them for some reason. I know the Sally Hawkins character has some kind of special genetic connection to the fish creature in this, but she's to all intents and purposes a person and so when she starts getting it on with the fish creature I'm not connecting with the film the way I'm meant to. Mind you, I'm on fish guy's side - who wouldn't be after seeing the way it's treated by Michael Shannon and his goons and that part of the film is tense, foreboding and exciting - the battle to free the (I nearly said monster) hero. It's above average for me, but doesn't get into "great" territory. Guillermo del Toro really knows how to visually tell a fantastical story.

51. Holy Motors - I saw this way back when it came out (seems like a lifetime ago) and it impressed me with the pure imagination that has filled this film with surprise and spectacle. Denis Lavant I couldn't connect with however - there was something about him that really repelled me and made it difficult for me to get into the film. I remember Kylie Minogue being in it and the various guises Lavant takes as he motors around doing odd jobs throughout Paris. I remember the choreographed motion capture segment as being quite wonderful. Since it's been around 10 years since I first saw it, I'd like to give Holy Motors another chance one day to see if my feelings towards it have changed. I thought Carax's Annette was interesting without being something I loved, but maybe his films just take time to appreciate.

Seen 42 out of the first 50 reveals.

Below are my guesses (made before we started) percentage-wise of which Best Picture winners would make the countdown. I have serious doubts about Argo (still a possibility though) and Green Book probably wouldn't make a top 200. 12 Years a Slave better show soon if it is going to at all. Films that made it already in bold.

#78The King's Speech (2010) - 30%
#87The Artist (2011) - 70%
Argo (2012) - 25%
12 Years a Slave (2013) - 60%
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014) - 82%
#63Spotlight (2015) - 35%
#62Moonlight (2016) - 95%
#52The Shape of Water (2017) - 60%
Green Book (2018) - 3%
Parasite (2019) - 97%

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw The Shape of Water a few years ago, and I remembered liking it, but I didn't remember a lot about the movie, so I rewatched it for this countdown. I liked the movie a lot, except for
WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "The Shape of Water"!!!" spoilers below
the very end when her scars turn into gills so she can breath under water and go with him. I usually like a happy ending, but I think I would have preferred a heartbreak scene at the end, where he saves her life, but then they have to let each other go.
I still think that it deserves its spot on this countdown, but that kept it off my list.

I haven't heard of Holy Motors.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
mark f

I couldn't find any ratings/reviews mark f wrote for The Shape of Water, but I did come across this:

The bestiality accusation is right out of white supremacy crap against miscegenation.
The Shape of Water made mark f's ballot at #16:

I found these posts from Mark about The Shape of Water:

The Shape of Water (Guillermo del Toro, 2017)
-

In a Cold War research facility, mute cleaner Sally Hawkins develops an instant rapport with tortured jungle creature Doug Jones.
I think The Shape of Water is the most romantic film in years. At first I thought it was a very personal version of Close Encounters where two different types of beings interrelated through music and kindness, but then it kept layering on more meaning that Brenda and I could relate to. The poem at the end and Richard Jenkins' reading of it was terrific.And Michael Shannon and his boss were scary monsters.

The Shape of Water is one I didn't care for and I usually like del Toro films. But not this one.

I've heard of Holy Motors but haven't seen it. No votes.

List so far:
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#11. Zero Dark Thirty #58
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65