The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The better oblique hint for The VVitch (IMO) would have been a gif of the Elmer Fudd hunting bugs and daffy (rabbit season vs duck season).

My guess for the clone looking one is Never Let Me Go.

When SpelingError said they were having a hard time coming up with a hint for 91, I was thinking of jokingly posting. "if it's The VVitch, post a picture of Lola Bunny." But I really didn't think The VVitch would show up this low.

Same with Hereditary (admittedly, the one I rank closer to the bottom of the A24 movies).

Given a Captain America movie showing up this low, giving a deflating sense there's a lot more MCU to come, and what are considered some of the heavy hitters of the art house horror movies already showing up, this does not give the sense the top 50 will be one I'll be finding particularly interesting.

83 points, 6 lists
Anomalisa
Director

Duke Johnson, 2015

Starring

David Thewlis, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tom Noonan

83 points, 8 lists
The Witch
Director

Robert Eggers, 2015

Starring

Anya Taylor-Joy, Ralph Ineson, Kate Dickie, Harvey Scrimshaw

Trivia

Anomalisa - The song Lisa sings to Michael was originally supposed to be Céline Dion's "My Heart Will Go On", but was changed to Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" when the Titanic (1997) theme song could not be licensed for the movie.
The VVitch - A hare appears frequently in the film. In colonial New England, hares were considered magical creatures in their own right. They were often associated with witches, either as a milk-hare, which stole or spoiled milk from the farm animals, or the witch themselves, who were thought able to turn into a hare in order to spy on and influence people.

A system of cells interlinked
She's the witch of the wood! She said she would eat of me!

Seen 6/10, no votes from me for either of the last two. I briefly considered The Witch, but it got cut pretty quickly.

Anomalisa looks good - will definitely check it out.

MoFo Reviewers

Anomalisa

The most outstanding part of the film is the stock motion, after a short time you forget that this all an animation due to how well done it is, the movie was made in almost 2 years, and the makers efforts are very appreciated and commended. I also adored the character of Lisa, I thought she was very sweet, innocent and loveable. The connection between Lisa and Michael is very interesting to me, it felt very one-sided yet genuine at the same time.
Read the full review here.

The Vvitch

The horror is perfect. It escalates slowly though out the film until it hits a breaking point at the end. This is helped by some extremely uncomfortable moments, some which most horror movies wouldn’t have the balls to show. The horror is also helped by some extremely unique jumpscares. This is done by suddenly cutting from a scene with no sound to a scene with high sound, causing a very jarring effect in the viewer. Akin to the Conjuring, it has a jumpscare that completely subverts audiences expectations (Most cinephiles will know the scene I'm speaking of.
Read the full review here.

mark f

Anomalisa (Charlie Kaufman & Duke Johnson, 2015)

A man (Voice of David Thewlis) bored with life finds love with an average woman (Voice of Jennifer Jason Leigh) on a business trip in this very personal stop-motion animation.
The Witch (Robert Eggers, 2016)

Strange occurrences are happening in the barn to the kids (Anya Taylor-Joy, Harvey Scrimshaw & Ellie Grainger) of a cast-out Puritan family, and don't forget their goat, Black William.
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

I haven't seen Anomalisa and I'm not sure whether I'll like it or not. Charlie Kaufman is a mixed bag for me and I didn't enjoy I'm Thinking of Ending Things which I found to be pretentious and over-indulgent. The sort of themes he writes about are normally things that interest me, and I have enjoyed some of his work, plus I love Thewlis and JJL - so maybe I shouldn't rule it out completely.

Rating: N/A

I really like The Witch and it's my favourite of Robert Egger's three films. Really well shot, love the framing and the eeriness it adds to everything. A very unsettling film and a rare case in modern horror for me (as I mentioned the other day) that I think the ending makes it even better. One that sticks in the memory.

Rating:

Seen 7/10.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm not a big fan of Charlie Kaufman but I appreciate him. Anomalisa was very good.

The Witch is amazing! Not on my list because the competition was hella tough, but it's somewhere in the Top 50 of the 2010s for sure.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Anomalisa is great. The stop motion animation is really well done and beautiful. Performances are excellent. The screenplay is really well written and has a lot of layers.

I thought The Witch was underwhelming and disappointing. I didn't find the movie scary and only mildly disturbing. It was very slow and I felt the characters and story-line needed better development. Performances were hit and miss for me.

Seen: 8/10

Maybe I should just start guessing my ballot for the next 20 hints instead of avoiding it

WARNING: spoilers below

8. The VVitch
10. World of Tomorrow
14. Anomalisa
20. It Follows

Eggers might hate The VVitch these days because of it falling short of whatever he had in his mind, but I still love it. It's a tight psychological thriller, with great atmosphere, and just draws so much on witchcraft folktales that I absorbed through who knows what TV shows growing up. It was my #8.

Anomalisa - on my ballot (#14). I wished I had a chance to revisit it recently before voting so I could recreate the concrete joy I got while watching it, but I just remember liking this one. I generally like Kaufman-related projects though.

Anomalisa, like the rest of Charlie Kaufman's work, is a very unique and interesting film. Coupling his brand of weirdness with animation also served to present something that is visually unlike anything I've seen and I have immense respect for it. That said, I don't love it. It was on my initial shortlist but was an early cut.

I haven't seen The Witch. I know we're only ten films in, but so far this countdown is feeling pretty horror heavy. Also I'm realizing that a good number of the films I voted for and was initially optimistic about making it certainly won't make it. Boo.

Seen: 5/10
My Ballot:
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

Here's what I thought of Anomalisa the last time I watched it:

Anomalisa (Charlie Kaufman and Duke Johnson, 2015)
(Rewatch)

This is my second time watching this movie and coming away from it now I'm feeling a little torn. I think Charlie Kaufman is a phenomenal writer and, from a visual perspective, this is one of the most interesting animated films I've seen. I also really love the way that it perfectly captures the melancholy and loneliness of both its lead characters. Michael is a man so bored and disconnected from his life and the people in it that he can barely distinguish between those people. They all look the same to him. They all sound the same to him. And then there's Lisa, a woman who has given up on finding love and who has no confidence, no self-esteem, and yet is the one person that stands out for Michael.

It's a really unique and memorable film and is so very Kaufman in a lot of ways. If I were to rate this movie based solely on my respect and appreciation for it, I'd give a 5 out of 5, but for me it needs something more than that. It needs to move me in some way and tonight it just didn't do that. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood and with another revisit somewhere the road, I'll get there. But for now, it's one more movie I can cross off the list of possibilities for my ballot

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well I like both of these so I seem like I'm enjoying this countdown pretty well so far. No meltdowns yet.

Neither made my list but I really want to rewatch The Witch and Anomolisa I will someday as well.

Reply to Topic