Apologies to the forum's members

Tools    

Master of My Domain
Ad-hominems and jabs are where the fun comes from!

Just know that whenever we're doing stuff like that its usually a joke. But when its not we take care of it.

Ad-hominem are bad, jokes are good. I was talking to a guy called honeykid earlier, I hope he caught that our conversation was in the latter type. If not, may God have mercy on my soul.

I would like to add that there seems to be this dominant thought around here that Anime comes with a stigma that doesn't apply to other aspects of film. Look at some of the conversations around here that center around Hollywood Blockbusters, Arthouse, 80's Action, or any number of specific directors. The list could go on and on. What people are saying is these films have fundamental characteristics that don't necessarily appeal to them. They are not being racist or unreasonable. Anime certainly has some fundamental characteristics that apply to this argument. Even the people here that love Anime, who tend to get upset with people when they dismiss Anime for general reasons, and then go on to talk about Anime in broad strokes.
The only thing Japanese animation has in general are Japanese cultural sensibilities. The only thing that American live action has in general are American cultural sensibilities.

Do you think American live action is a genre? If you don't you cannot use the word to describe anime.

When I say I don't like horror, I am generalizing. However my generalizations have proven to be true to my sensibilities. Have there been exceptions, certainly, but they are few and far between so I don't bother watching a dozen movies a year that don't appeal to me.
What do you think of horror is a genre of American live action (of course 99% of all horror films and TV you know are American live action films and TV).

There is a huge number of horror manga and substantial number of horror anime titles.

Now the anime fans will tell me that anime is not a genre. In a very real sense that is correct. However most everyone treats it that way
No they do not. In Brasil people have a bit different attitude regarding anime in comparison to the US. In Brasil anime is more well regarded by young people, unlike stuff such as Star Wars, which is regarded as something for nerdy effeminates.

Most Americans (who are 4.5% of the world's population, not 100% as some people appear to think) think of it as a genre because they are the ones who don't know anything about it. When you don't know much about something, like thinking Indian movies are all about dancing, it looks homogeneous, when you know it in greater depth, all the differences are apparent.

In Japan, Korea, China and other asian countries, manga is called comics, anime is called animation and are regarded as such.

and that is because there are certain aspects of the medium that can be applied to most of the movies made in this style.Google anime, look for anime on your streaming site. Everyone knows what your referring to.
No there are not. If you think they all look the same that`s because you don't notice the differences because you have watched to little of it. Like Indian movies look the same for Westerners.

To say Only Yesterday and DragonBall Z are the in same genre is to admit to be blind and deaf. It's like saying The Tree of Life and Friends are in the same genre, American live action, the genre.

There are even books call How To Draw Anime.
No, there are books called how to drawn manga. The drawing style you think as "anime style" is a modern variation of early Tezuka's manga drawing style, which is the most popular style but not the only one.

You might say this is because it is a medium instead of a genre. Fine, you will get no argument from me, but this is just splitting hairs. If your an anime fan it is because there are things about the medium that appeal to you.
Of course, I like ANIMATION as a means of telling stories or making experimental films. I am not restricted, however, to western animation, which is a very small part of world animation and 90% of all animation not made for children is made in Japan.

I envy the fans of live action film and TV who can watch movies and TV made all over the world. However, I am restricted to anime and a couple of American adult comedies like South Park. Most anime fans I know watch western animation as well.

The same holds true for people who are not fans of the medium. For that matter it holds true for people who are not a fan of any other medium or genre in film. It doesn't make any of us racist or closed minded. It means we have preferences. I have not come across one person on this site who does not have preferences when it comes to film.
People have preferences, some people love black people so they have a ton of black friends, people who are not fans of blacks do not have black friends because it's not the type of people that appeals to them. That doesn't mean they are racist or close minded, it's just that it's not the type of people they like and everybody has preferences regarding people.

If you don't know animation, that only means that, you don't know. If you haven't read a single manga, that only means you don't know manga. You can say you dislike action shounen anime, you can say you dislike science fiction psychological horror seinen anime, you can say you dislike josei melodrama anime, you can say you dislike animation, you can say you dislike Japanese culture, you cannot say you dislike animation made in Japan, without either disliking Japanese culture or disliking animation.

I also think that people who say they like films but dislike Hollywood films or European films or Chinese films are close minded and prejudiced. I don't think it's actually possible for a person to not being able to enjoy stuff made in another country because of cultural differences.

I never say I like or dislike stuff based on the country they were made. I don't like anime, because there are plenty that don't interest me, I don't like Hollywood movies, for the same reason. I like what is good.

When I talk about genre-specific, I mean it as part of a thematic recurrence associated to a narrative purpose. Comedy has jokes, horror has creepy monsters, mecha (in case of anime) has robots... All these thematic recurrences are part of specific contexts which is what I would call genres.

Now, it's true that it's almost impossible to grasp the level of knowledge necessary to fully understand the variety of a specific medium; but to a point it's a matter of common sense, and if there are robots in the show it must be because it specifically includes them in its story and not as an intrinsic part of the Japanese animated format.

It's not about racism, but it is about denying a potentiality for no further reason than very limited experience. To a point it's more about attitude than it is about factual knowledge.
You nail it in the head again. Though I might say prejudice is essentially the same: you meet one black person, you dislike him/her, you think you don't like black persons. You watch an animation made in Japan, you dislike it, you think you don't like animation made in Japan. You associate a thing that has very limited relationship with the actual content.

With most forms of visual art, there are genres. Anime is a type of visual art. I watch an anime called "Mushishi". It is of the genre of "drama". "Darker than Black", another one I watch, it is an "Action". My daughter watches "Bleach" and "Attack on Titan", both are action. She watches many more anime shows than I do. A friend of mine usually watches anime films that are "horror".

Personally, I think that most people would enjoy "Mushishi", if they want to start out watching anime. The story lines are very good and the art is one of the best out there visually. It has won many awards, both the manga and the anime.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
So Guap, you admit Brazilians make broad generalizations too. "Star Wars is for nerdy effeminates." Do you get upset at them (or do they include you?) as much as you seem to be upset at "us"?

You nail it in the head again. Though I might say prejudice is essentially the same: you meet one black person, you dislike him/her, you think you don't like black persons. You watch an animation made in Japan, you dislike it, you think you don't like animation made in Japan. You associate a thing that has very limited relationship with the actual content.
You're really projecting here.

Perhaps this is true for you but it certainly isn't for me and probably not for a great many people.

People aren't automatons and they like what they like (exactly as you do).

Imagine someone created a long thread dedicated to talking you into liking something you don't like and then suggests that because you don't like it you're incapable of discretion or that you're lacking some innate ability to think for yourself.

That's this thread.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
So Guap, you admit Brazilians make broad generalizations too. "Star Wars is for nerdy effeminates." Do you get upset at them (or do they include you?) as much as you seem to be upset at "us"?
Isn't it?

So Guap, you admit Brazilians make broad generalizations too. "Star Wars is for nerdy effeminates."
That is not a broad generalization because Star Wars is just a single film franchise. If they said American live action is for nerdy effeminates, I would get upset.

Do you get upset at them (or do they include you?) as much as you seem to be upset at "us"?
No, because they are not making a broad generalization.

You got upset because Tokeza did not put any American live action in his top 10, your favorite "genre" since 9 of your top 10 are of this "genre". At least I don't get upset when someone doesn't put a Japanese animation, or American live action in their top 10.

People here get upset when someone says Hollywood films are garbage for people who don't like to think.

You're really projecting here.

Perhaps this is true for you but it certainly isn't for me and probably not for a great many people.
This what?

People aren't automatons and they like what they like (exactly as you do).
And they are often close minded and prejudiced. Yes, I should just let them be close minded and talk nonsense on the internet.

Imagine someone created a long thread dedicated to talking you into liking something you don't like and then suggests that because you don't like it you're incapable of discretion or that you're lacking some innate ability to think for yourself.
Something like American live action? American music? Western literature?

I like everything by your definition of liking some works of a medium made by a large country/civilization.

While I don't like every genre, for instance, I dislike in general children's films, mecha or gansgter films, but a like some elements of these genres like Totoro, RahXephon and The Godfather. They usually transcend the limitations of the genre.

With most forms of visual art, there are genres. Anime is a type of visual art. I watch an anime called "Mushishi". It is of the genre of "drama". "Darker than Black", another one I watch, it is an "Action". My daughter watches "Bleach" and "Attack on Titan", both are action. She watches many more anime shows than I do. A friend of mine usually watches anime films that are "horror".

Personally, I think that most people would enjoy "Mushishi", if they want to start out watching anime. The story lines are very good and the art is one of the best out there visually. It has won many awards, both the manga and the anime.
I like Mushishi as well. It's a very elegant show, very sophisticated and calm, it's a reflection of Japanese medieval society and mythology. Though I didn't like it as much as most anime fans, who love it, it's not my genre though.

I think your idea of upset and mine are different. You're also playing with that genre/medium classification which set you off before.
I get upset very easily I think. Other people are more calm.

Would you get upset if they say they dislike American live action? That it is not the type of movie they like because different people have different tastes? Start comparing it with a genre of anime?

Like, I would say, I watched that Godfather movie the other day, but that genre of movie, American live action, is not my genre of film and I don't like every genre like everybody. For instance, I dislike slice of life anime, though I watch a few titles a year, like I watch a few American live actions once in a while.

That's ignorant nonsense. I don't like reading ignorant nonsense on the internet, and so I get upset all the time.

From now on I will call all American live action films a genre, and refer constantly to my love for that genre, given that I have 3 American live actions in my top 10.

The only thing Japanese animation has in general are Japanese cultural sensibilities. The only thing that American live action has in general are American cultural sensibilities.

Do you think American live action is a genre? If you don't you cannot use the word to describe anime.

What do you think of horror is a genre of American live action (of course 99% of all horror films and TV you know are American live action films and TV).

There is a huge number of horror manga and substantial number of horror anime titles.

No they do not. In Brasil people have a bit different attitude regarding anime in comparison to the US. In Brasil anime is more well regarded by young people, unlike stuff such as Star Wars, which is regarded as something for nerdy effeminates.

Most Americans (who are 4.5% of the world's population, not 100% as some people appear to think) think of it as a genre because they are the ones who don't know anything about it. When you don't know much about something, like thinking Indian movies are all about dancing, it looks homogeneous, when you know it in greater depth, all the differences are apparent.

In Japan, Korea, China and other asian countries, manga is called comics, anime is called animation and are regarded as such.

No there are not. If you think they all look the same that`s because you don't notice the differences because you have watched to little of it. Like Indian movies look the same for Westerners.

To say Only Yesterday and DragonBall Z are the in same genre is to admit to be blind and deaf. It's like saying The Tree of Life and Friends are in the same genre, American live action, the genre.

No, there are books called how to drawn manga. The drawing style you think as "anime style" is a modern variation of early Tezuka's manga drawing style, which is the most popular style but not the only one.

Of course, I like ANIMATION as a means of telling stories or making experimental films. I am not restricted, however, to western animation, which is a very small part of world animation and 90% of all animation not made for children is made in Japan.

I envy the fans of live action film and TV who can watch movies and TV made all over the world. However, I am restricted to anime and a couple of American adult comedies like South Park. Most anime fans I know watch western animation as well.

People have preferences, some people love black people so they have a ton of black friends, people who are not fans of blacks do not have black friends because it's not the type of people that appeals to them. That doesn't mean they are racist or close minded, it's just that it's not the type of people they like and everybody has preferences regarding people.

If you don't know animation, that only means that, you don't know. If you haven't read a single manga, that only means you don't know manga. You can say you dislike action shounen anime, you can say you dislike science fiction psychological horror seinen anime, you can say you dislike josei melodrama anime, you can say you dislike animation, you can say you dislike Japanese culture, you cannot say you dislike animation made in Japan, without either disliking Japanese culture or disliking animation.

I also think that people who say they like films but dislike Hollywood films or European films or Chinese films are close minded and prejudiced. I don't think it's actually possible for a person to not being able to enjoy stuff made in another country because of cultural differences.

I never say I like or dislike stuff based on the country they were made. I don't like anime, because there are plenty that don't interest me, I don't like Hollywood movies, for the same reason. I like what is good.
My fault then. Just goes to show nothing good comes of letting an effeminate think.

I think a better question is, why is it so important that people like the same things as you (whatever it is)? There are plenty of things I like which others don't (ex. I think the Star Wars prequels are decent films; a lot of members on the forum trash them, but I don't take it personally or devote entire essays persuading them to "like" them).

We're probably all guilty of this a little - but in the long run it doesn't really matter if other people like everything that you do, regardless of what the reason is. If a person's strongly bothered by that then they're probably putting too much of their personal security into "what they like" - which in the long run isn't that important. (When you're on your deathbed you're not going to be remembered for "what type of movies or cartoons you like" - you're going to be remembered for what you've done, and who you've impacted in life).

If your personal security is dependent on everyone liking you or liking the same things as you, that's definitely not healthy, IMO.

Find your frequency.
The definition of genre is "a particular type or category of literature or art." So yes, anime is a genre. American live action films is a genre. Simply the fact that you can use a word to describe a subset of films means it's a genre. The more important thing here is, who cares?

I think all Marvel films these days have a tone and style that separates them from eachother, but if someone told me they don't like any Marvel movies, my reaction would be "That's cool, I like most of them though." If people want to dismiss a group of films, that's their right and doesn't mean they're ignorant or close-minded, it's just a preference. Be secure in what you like, but be respectful when others disagree with you.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The definition of genre is "a particular type or category of literature or art." So yes, anime is a genre. American live action films is a genre. Simply the fact that you can use a word to describe a subset of films means it's a genre. The more important thing here is, who cares?
Well, using that description "cinema" is a genre...

Find your frequency.
Well, using that description "cinema" is a genre...
It is indeed. It's a genre of art. Further proof that this genre argument is absurd and pointless.