40-49
21.43%
12 votes
50-59
8.93%
5 votes
Over 60
56 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Let's put it this way . . . When I wake up every morning, after sleeping on the concrete floor, I stumble to my feet, I stretch, and say to myself, "I feel like a hundred bucks."

(NOTE: I think I heard this quote on an MST3k episode -- not sure.)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
When I first joined movieforums I was in the 18-24 age bracket. Somehow the fact that I have been on this forum for 17 years makes me feel older than having to tick the 40-49 age bracket...

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
New member of the 50-59 group. I've had to move there from the 40-49 band during the recent Covid-times.
Ugh...

MoFo is secretly a retirement home for older, jaded cinephiles.

“In my time we didn’t rely on CGI!”

“What’s that? You haven’t heard of Truffaut?!”

“Gather around the fire pit kiddos. I’m going to tell you about the 70’s. An age of double bills, exploitation films, midnight movies and memories of 42nd street. Now that was a time…..”
*Looks off into the distance wistfully*

Movie Forums Extra
Just turned 41

I was born during the JFK admission and I've heard people include those born in the early 1960s as Baby Boomers, no way. If the Baby Boomer generation starts after 1941 then by the early 1960s the oldest Baby Boomer's were old enough to start the next generation and I don't see how one can be of the same generation as their parents. I consider myself Generation X.
Heh, heh. I think you meant the JFK administration..

I was born in '44, so I'm supposedly part of the "silent generation", with my folks a part of the "greatest generation". However I did actually know some baby boomers....

I was born during the JFK admission and I've heard people include those born in the early 1960s as Baby Boomers, no way. If the Baby Boomer generation starts after 1941 then by the early 1960s the oldest Baby Boomer's were old enough to start the next generation and I don't see how one can be of the same generation as their parents. I consider myself Generation X.
What are the 7 living generations?

Who do you think you are? Seven generations to choose from (PEW Research Center)

The Greatest Generation (born 1901–1927)
The Silent Generation (born 1928–1945)
Baby Boomers (born 1946–1964)
Generation X (born 1965–1980)
Millennials (born 1981–1995)
Generation Z (born 1996–2010)
Generation Alpha (born 2011–2025)

As you age this is how to ensure domestic peace at home with your other half . . .

I've been married (this time) for 31 years and when it gets close to our anniversary my wife will inevitably remind me of the date and also how many years we've been married. And every time I turn to her and say, "Really? That many? Damn, I could have killed you and been out on parole by now."

This will ensure that your spouse will not speak to you for a week which, after 31 years of marriage, can be a good thing.

(NOTE: Not original -- I think it's Rodney Dangerfield.)

41. Wow, I've been posting on movie forums for almost half my life now. What can I say? It's fun, and this is one of the more fun ones I've been on. It's a healthier addiction than crack, at least.

Worth noting that while this probably tells us something about the age ranges here, there's a lot of selection bias problems.

Forums are infamous, for example, for:

a) Only a tiny fraction of visitors joining and
b) Nearly all posts coming from a tiny fraction of those who join

So you're already two levels "deep" when you're talking about forum regulars, and then adding to that people who notice and bother to respond to polls like this, and it's hard to say exactly how representative it is. My feeling is this poll probably skews a little older than the membership as a whole, which in turn skeps significantly younger than the visitors as a whole. Whether that even matters or not is another question.

I do think this place is probably older than most places on the Internet though (though maybe not much older than most forums, which are an older form of social media already and are a little alien to younger people, still). And I think its makeup and its general level of discourse are probably connected.

As you age this is how to ensure domestic peace at home with your other half . . .

I've been married (this time) for 31 years and when it gets close to our anniversary my wife will inevitably remind me of the date and also how many years we've been married. And every time I turn to her and say, "Really? That many? Damn, I could have killed you and been out on parole by now."

This will ensure that your spouse will not speak to you for a week which, after 31 years of marriage, can be a good thing.

(NOTE: Not original -- I think it's Rodney Dangerfield.)
Ha!

I was born in '88. Been watchin' movies ever since.

Eh, you'll all start aging out soon enough.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

As I expected, most people here are 35-40+.

Gen Z and younger millennials don't really post on message board sites. They discuss their hobbies on larger platforms (i.e. Reddit, Discord, Twitter).