Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Tools    

So, nobody is watching this..?

Anson Mount still has some credit with me for his work in Hell On Wheels so I started watching. Turned it off after 20 min. because I'm not sure about this one. Think I need some more incentive to continue. Don't want to boldly watch what nobody has watched before.

I watched Season 1 and the first episode of S2 free. Really liked it. They're trying to make it fun and largely succeeding. Old school and hardcore fans of the franchise may or may not be thrilled with it. I think it deserves a chance and I hope it gets a longer run than the usual 2 or 3 seasons.

I watched Season 1 and the first episode of S2 free. Really liked it. They're trying to make it fun and largely succeeding. Old school and hardcore fans of the franchise may or may not be thrilled with it. I think it deserves a chance and I hope it gets a longer run than the usual 2 or 3 seasons.
You've encouraged me to give it a try and I was starting to think I wouldn't. I'm thinking your movie taste is similar to mine so I'm hoping your Star Trek taste is also similar

You've encouraged me to give it a try and I was starting to think I wouldn't. I'm thinking your movie taste is similar to mine so I'm hoping your Star Trek taste is also similar
Uh-oh. I do like Anson Mount's Christopher Pike. And Ethan Peck's Spock. I think the rest of the cast contribute mightily. I still haven't watched Discovery or Picard but have read several reviews about them maybe tilting towards overly dark. I don't know if this is true or not but ST: SNW seems to have taken those critiques to heart. Like I mentioned before, fans of the original might have to meet it halfway or simply get acclimated. I hope you end up enjoying it.

Uh-oh. I do like Anson Mount's Christopher Pike. And Ethan Peck's Spock. I think the rest of the cast contribute mightily. I still haven't watched Discovery or Picard but have read several reviews about them maybe tilting towards overly dark. I don't know if this is true or not but ST: SNW seems to have taken those critiques to heart. Like I mentioned before, fans of the original might have to meet it halfway or simply get acclimated. I hope you end up enjoying it.
I did see some of Star Trek: Short Treks with the actors who played Pike and Spock and I liked them, so fingers crossed. I'm about to rewatch all of the ST series staring with the original series so after I rewatch Enterprise I just might watch Strange New Worlds.

I haven't watched Discovery but I did watch the first season of Picard and it was very dark and very unStar Trek like, IMO. Apparently the ethics of STTNG went out the window. I won't watch the second season...but another person might find it exciting.

Nice fan render of the version of the ship on this show.

This is the best Star Trek series since New Generation, and the best first season of all the Star Treks, on par with the original series.

Blown away by the writing. Finally! This series is to Star Trek like The Mandolorian is to Star Wars.

Gonna start season 2 now...

This is the best Star Trek series since New Generation, and the best first season of all the Star Treks, on par with the original series.

Blown away by the writing. Finally! This series is to Star Trek like The Mandolorian is to Star Wars.

Gonna start season 2 now...
That's encouraging! Still haven't seen it but when I get through rewatching all of the first ST series I think I will catch it.

For some reason I initially thought Discovery had somehow morphed into Strange New Worlds (or was just re-titled to start covering stories of early Enterprise 1701).

But I take it that SNW is a spin-off from Discovery in the same way Deep Space 9 was a spin-off from Next Generation?

For some reason I initially thought Discovery had somehow morphed into Strange New Worlds (or was just re-titled to start covering stories of early Enterprise 1701).

But I take it that SNW is a spin-off from Discovery in the same way Deep Space 9 was a spin-off from Next Generation?
Was Deep Space Nine a spin off from Next Gen? I don't remember any tie in other than it occurred during the same time frame and might have had a Next Gen cast member or two appear in it from time to time.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
Was Deep Space Nine a spin off from Next Gen? I don't remember any tie in other than it occurred during the same time frame and might have had a Next Gen cast member or two appear in it from time to time.
There was the odd crossover episode. The pilot episode had Picard brining supplies to the station along with dropping off obrien. Another was the tng crew coming to ds9 and with bashir meeting data and worf looking for his father. I think the episode was 'birthright'. A couple other also included the station or at least communicating with some people on it ie quark.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

Sure it was a spin-off. And a very direct spin-off at that. Any time characters that originated in one series take up residence as the same characters in another series, then it's a spin-off.

When Joanie and Chachi got their own show, it was a spin-off from Happy Days (same with Laverne & Shirley). The Jeffersons & Maude were both spin-offs from All In the Family, and Good Times was a direct spin-off from Maude (making it a spin-off from All in the Family once removed).

Obrien, Keiko and Worf all took up residence on DS9 as regular characters, and there were lots of references to their Enterprise & its crew members - that made the show a direct spin-off from Next Gen.

If there was no transference of characters, then we might say it was just a concurrent series that took place in the same time frame of the standard ST continuity (which, I guess we could say about Voyager since it didn't carry on further adventures of characters from either Next Gen. or DS9).

Agree? Disagree?