Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Munster, Go Home! is a really funny theatrical continuation of the TV series. Herman inherits an English manor from a long-lost relative. Hijinks ensue.

I think the writers of this movie brought their A-game. It feels like a feature-length episode of the show, which is a good thing. I loved how cocky Herman got when he found out he was a lord. The rhinestone reveal made me burst out laughing. My favorite bit in the movie is when the English Munsters try to scare away Herman and Lily, only for it to backfire completely.

I think Munster, Go Home! balances out the characters' roles better than the show. It's still primarily Herman-centric, but everyone else is given some good gags. We get a classic Herman and Grandpa escapade in the manor's basement, Lily has some funny moments chasing after Herman during the drag race, Eddie sleeps in a drawer, and even Marilyn gets a substantial romantic part. Speaking of Marilyn, she's played by a new actress and not Pat Priest or Beverley Owen, which is disappointing.

The movie ends in an epic drag race across the English countryside, which goes on a little long, but it's fun. Definitely check this movie out if you're a fan of the show.

Call Me By Your Name, 2017

Elio (Timothée Chalamet) is a 17 year old who lives in Italy with his archaeology professor father (Michael Stuhlbarg) and his mother (Amira Casar). Elio's world is shaken up when his father's summer research assistant, Oliver (Armie Hammer) arrives. Elio develops a profound attraction to Oliver, and experiences emotional highs and lows when he discovers that Oliver returns his feelings.

There are movies about traditionally marginalized groups that emphasize systems of oppression and movies that instead take a more "life is hard no matter who you are" universal approach. Call Me By Your Name mixes both of these approaches together and the result is a story that is both very specific and very relatable.

My main apprehension going into the film is that I tend to be very critical of movies that feature relationships with conspicuous age gaps. For the most part I felt that this film landed on the right side of the line. Hammer's character is meant to be in his early/mid-20s, though I felt that he and Chalamet looked like there was more distance between them age-wise. That said, I felt that overall Oliver followed the "campsite rule" and it didn't feel like Oliver was intentionally taking advantage of Elio.

But I do think that some of the movie's best moments come from the fact that there is an inherent imbalance between the characters. Elio talks a good game and, for the most part, he is the one who initiates the relationship. But Elio is still a teenager who does not have a wealth of romantic or sexual experience (with men or with women). While Oliver tries to be careful with Elio's feelings, it's such a complex time in Elio's life that even when things are going well he is overwhelmed. It's also significant that with his confidence and all-American looks, Oliver is the kind of person who will never have trouble finding a partner, male or female. But for Elio, who is far less confident and imposing, such relationship can't and won't just come at the drop of a hat.

I also liked how the film handled the question of the acceptance (or lack thereof) of homosexuality. Elio's parents are very accepting, as is his childhood friend and girlfriend Marzia (Esther Garrel). His parents even have good friends who are a gay couple. But there is a tacit acknowledgement that it's not expected of Elio to be openly gay. Oliver repeatedly says that he doesn't want himself or Elio to be "punished" or "suffer" from their relationship, and it's pretty clear he's not talking about the age gap. The fact that Elio can barely talk about his feelings, and even then half in code, only exacerbates the agony of his first serious romantic love. This is echoed in the fact that the family do not advertise that they are Jewish, with his mother saying that they are "Jews of discretion." There is this vague sense that some things should not be said aloud, and it creates an undercurrent of fear and unease.

I thought that Chalamet was very good in the lead role, really nailing the way that teenagers can put up a front of indifferent swagger while actually being a mess on the inside. Hammer also really nails the way that some attractive people can be, like, annoyingly seductive. Obviously some of Oliver's actions are meant to deliberately get Elio's attention, but mainly he's a man who is incredibly confident and settled as a person. Stuhlbarg and Casar also do a good job of portraying an affability that constantly leaves you wondering how much they know about what is happening with their son.

I was a big fan of the way that the film was choreographed. Elio can't stop touching Oliver, something that he finds erotic, of course, but also clearly comforting in a way. It's interesting to see the way that the film differentiates this from Elio's relationship with Marzia. Elio loves Marzia, and the two have sexual encounters that Elio seems to enjoy, but what he feels towards Oliver comes across as a much deeper need than that of sexual gratification. The movie is relatively chaste when it comes to their sex scenes, so the main emphasis is not on their lust (though that is certainly a driver). At times this feels a bit prudish (like when the camera just pans over to a tree for a minute?), but overall I didn't think that the movie needed to be more explicit, especially when one of the characters is a teenager.

The Italian setting is absolutely beautiful, and many of the sequences are just really breathtaking. I liked the soundtrack, and especially liked the closing number that played in the transition into the credits.

A very relatable, heartbreaking romance. I see why it got so much positive attention.

Elio (Timothée Chalamet) is a 17 year old who lives in Italy with his archaeology professor father (Michael Stuhlbarg) and his mother (Amira Casar). Elio's world is shaken up when his father's summer research assistant, Oliver (Armie Hammer) arrives. Elio develops a profound attraction to Oliver, and experiences emotional highs and lows when he discovers that Oliver returns his feelings.

There are movies about traditionally marginalized groups that emphasize systems of oppression and movies that instead take a more "life is hard no matter who you are" universal approach. Call Me By Your Name mixes both of these approaches together and the result is a story that is both very specific and very relatable.

My main apprehension going into the film is that I tend to be very critical of movies that feature relationships with conspicuous age gaps. For the most part I felt that this film landed on the right side of the line. Hammer's character is meant to be in his early/mid-20s, though I felt that he and Chalamet looked like there was more distance between them age-wise. That said, I felt that overall Oliver followed the "campsite rule" and it didn't feel like Oliver was intentionally taking advantage of Elio.

But I do think that some of the movie's best moments come from the fact that there is an inherent imbalance between the characters. Elio talks a good game and, for the most part, he is the one who initiates the relationship. But Elio is still a teenager who does not have a wealth of romantic or sexual experience (with men or with women). While Oliver tries to be careful with Elio's feelings, it's such a complex time in Elio's life that even when things are going well he is overwhelmed. It's also significant that with his confidence and all-American looks, Oliver is the kind of person who will never have trouble finding a partner, male or female. But for Elio, who is far less confident and imposing, such relationship can't and won't just come at the drop of a hat.

I also liked how the film handled the question of the acceptance (or lack thereof) of homosexuality. Elio's parents are very accepting, as is his childhood friend and girlfriend Marzia (Esther Garrel). His parents even have good friends who are a gay couple. But there is a tacit acknowledgement that it's not expected of Elio to be openly gay. Oliver repeatedly says that he doesn't want himself or Elio to be "punished" or "suffer" from their relationship, and it's pretty clear he's not talking about the age gap. The fact that Elio can barely talk about his feelings, and even then half in code, only exacerbates the agony of his first serious romantic love. This is echoed in the fact that the family do not advertise that they are Jewish, with his mother saying that they are "Jews of discretion." There is this vague sense that some things should not be said aloud, and it creates an undercurrent of fear and unease.

I thought that Chalamet was very good in the lead role, really nailing the way that teenagers can put up a front of indifferent swagger while actually being a mess on the inside. Hammer also really nails the way that some attractive people can be, like, annoyingly seductive. Obviously some of Oliver's actions are meant to deliberately get Elio's attention, but mainly he's a man who is incredibly confident and settled as a person. Stuhlbarg and Casar also do a good job of portraying an affability that constantly leaves you wondering how much they know about what is happening with their son.

I was a big fan of the way that the film was choreographed. Elio can't stop touching Oliver, something that he finds erotic, of course, but also clearly comforting in a way. It's interesting to see the way that the film differentiates this from Elio's relationship with Marzia. Elio loves Marzia, and the two have sexual encounters that Elio seems to enjoy, but what he feels towards Oliver comes across as a much deeper need than that of sexual gratification. The movie is relatively chaste when it comes to their sex scenes, so the main emphasis is not on their lust (though that is certainly a driver). At times this feels a bit prudish (like when the camera just pans over to a tree for a minute?), but overall I didn't think that the movie needed to be more explicit, especially when one of the characters is a teenager.

The Italian setting is absolutely beautiful, and many of the sequences are just really breathtaking. I liked the soundtrack, and especially liked the closing number that played in the transition into the credits.

A very relatable, heartbreaking romance. I see why it got so much positive attention.

Good review but not one mention of taking a bite out of the cum peach. I needed your thoughts on that and am left with nothing.

Call Me By Your Name is great. At first there seemed to be a stuffy bookishness to it that felt mannered to me.But this ends up seeming as much as a defense mechanism of the characters, hiding behind their educated upbringings, then actually a superficial ploy for intellectual depth.

It won me over completely

Glad to see you enjoyed this. It's a contender for my ballot, though I don't like as much as you do so it'll probably place on the lower end if I do vote for it. I need to give it rewatch though.

Good review but not one mention of taking a bite out of the cum peach. I needed your thoughts on that and am left with nothing.
I mean, I do have several thoughts on that scene if you actually want to hear them.

The supposed terror of diversity and how it is ruining everyone's good time. Or so I keep hearing.

But since there is no reason to talk about it, a chorus of rolled eyes will have to suffice.
Ah the audacity of the others to wish to be included and the horror of that inclusion. Consider my eyes rolled at @GulfportDoc

Victim of The Night
I mean you guys can roll your eyes but when you ignore continuity for PC reasoning that hurts films. Hawkman...who has no problem in the comics is working for this woman. That we saw in the movies

So the central theme of the film...Black Adam is a bad guy because he kills is dumb. Now they could have picked non-murdering characters to argue against murder in the film but they didn't do that.

And because you did a pair of dumb race swaps the second message of the film. The JSA exist to keep countries stable...they are literal white knights. Kahndaq is being occupied and the JSA did nothing about it. They had one job make a film criticizing America's foreign policy and they muddled the metaphor by engaging in cheap marketing gimmick that re-writes an 80 year old character and ignores the continuity of another character. And worse of all you have a character on the team that is all-knowing in Doctor Fate.
I guess I would just say that I reject the idea of "race-swapping" outright. White men have played just about every damn character (often indigenous peoples and even in black-face) since the dawn of cinema. And now if you have a non-white actor play a role "that was written as white (gasp!) it's somehow this big f*cking deal? Why are some people so worried about this? Just relax the sphincters a bit and let everybody have a turn for god's sake.

I mean, I do have several thoughts on that scene if you actually want to hear them.
I do!

Victim of The Night
Love me some westerns. Hope we get a resurgence.
Wouldn't that be something?
Except they'll probably just turn into overlong action set-pieces with one-dimensional "characters" and only expository dialogue.
Le sigh.

Victim of The Night

Munster, Go Home! is a really funny theatrical continuation of the TV series. Herman inherits an English manor from a long-lost relative. Hijinks ensue.

I think the writers of this movie brought their A-game. It feels like a feature-length episode of the show, which is a good thing. I loved how cocky Herman got when he found out he was a lord. The rhinestone reveal made me burst out laughing. My favorite bit in the movie is when the English Munsters try to scare away Herman and Lily, only for it to backfire completely.

I think Munster, Go Home! balances out the characters' roles better than the show. It's still primarily Herman-centric, but everyone else is given some good gags. We get a classic Herman and Grandpa escapade in the manor's basement, Lily has some funny moments chasing after Herman during the drag race, Eddie sleeps in a drawer, and even Marilyn gets a substantial romantic part. Speaking of Marilyn, she's played by a new actress and not Pat Priest or Beverley Owen, which is disappointing.

The movie ends in an epic drag race across the English countryside, which goes on a little long, but it's fun. Definitely check this movie out if you're a fan of the show.
I've seen this many years ago and meant to revisit it this year. Sadly, I ran out of slots (could only fit in 32). I will add it on for next year based on your review.

Except they'll probably just turn into overlong action set-pieces with one-dimensional "characters" and only expository dialogue.
Le sigh.
Hey, I enjoyed The Lone Ranger. If the overlong action set pieces are that good, I’ll take it!

Le sigh.
Yeah, many of the recent Westerns I've seen don't capture the spirit of classic Westerns. Sort of like gangster films, I view most classic Westerns as middle grounds between action and drama/romance, and too many recent Westerns feel more like action films than anything.

Yeah, many of the recent Westerns I've seen don't capture the spirit of classic Westerns. Sort of like gangster films, I view most classic Westerns as middle grounds between action and drama/romance, and too many recent Westerns feel more like action films than anything.
I think a lot of the more “recent” major westerns (basically after the ‘70s) feel like deliberate statements on the genre, rather than simple offerings of the genre’s pleasures. I’d like to see some in the vein of John Ford’s community westerns, where the movies are as much about hanging out in the milieu with the characters as they are about their actual plot.

I believe there’s actually a pretty active low budget DTV western scene right now, but I’ve heard next to nothing about the movies themselves.

Victim of The Night
Hey, I enjoyed The Lone Ranger. If the overlong action set pieces are that good, I’ll take it!
I just meant that the direction of all tentpole films seems to be toward the least amount of character development and human dialogue that can possibly be employed to make anyone listen to the expository dialogue that will explain the next set-piece. Not that Westerns have done this yet but that, if they become bankable, they will.

Victim of The Night
I think a lot of the more “recent” major westerns (basically after the ‘70s) feel like deliberate statements on the genre, rather than simple offerings of the genre’s pleasures...
Silverado.

Some modern westerns that I wouldn't consider action movies (I don't imagine a shootout should disqualify them):

The Power of the Dog
Hateful Eight
Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Bone Tomahawk
Old Henry
Hostiles
News of the World
The Salvation
The Homesman
The Wind
Slow West
The Keeping Room
Meek's Cutoff
Sweet Country

Some modern westerns that I wouldn't consider action movies (I don't imagine a shootout should disqualify them):

The Power of the Dog
Hateful Eight
Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Bone Tomahawk
Old Henry
Hostiles
News of the World
The Salvation
The Homesman
The Wind
Slow West
The Keeping Room
Meek's Cutoff
Sweet Country
I've only seen the first two, both of which I like quite a bit (I'd call The Hateful Eight a thriller though). I've heard of several of those though, so I'll keep an eye out for them.

I think some films do a great job with diversity, and others do it in a way that seems unnatural and forced, and then the film suffers for it.

Great! Spoilers for peaches!

WARNING: spoilers below

So one of the only things I knew about the movie going in were many references to "the peach scene". As you might imagine, the fact that it seemed like all the fuss was just about him masturbating with a peach made me roll my eyes a bit. (Though I do think it's a great portrayal of the foolish directions many people--male and female--have gone in the name of teenage horniness).

But it's really a two-part thing, right?

So Oliver comes in and figures out what Elio did, and laughs about it. When he playfully picks up the peach, Elio says, "Don't." But Oliver persists, asking "Do you want to see something really sick?" Elio tries to wrestle it away, Oliver easily overpowers him, Elio says, "You're hurting me," Oliver retorts, "Then stop fighting," and then Elio breaks down and cries.

I see this as a crucial turning point between the two of them, as I think it's the first moment that Oliver realizes the emotional gravity of what's happening with Elio and where Elio has to confront what is probably some mix of body shame, embarrassment, and internalized homophobia.

That phrasing of "Want to see something really sick?" really hit me, because at that point Oliver's mindset is of kind of one-upsmanship. It's the "are we really doing this?", dare mode of a sexual relationship. It's a level of game playing that Elio isn't ready for. It's where Elio's facade really cracks. It's also a moment where Elio is saying no to something, and repeating that fact over and over, and he's being laughed over and disregarded. While it would obviously be a stretch to put the words "assault" and "consent" into that scene, there's a combination of physical and emotional vulnerability that left me with a lot sorrow for people who are overmatched in such moments.

Obviously Oliver immediately backs down when he realizes Elio is genuinely upset, but it gives you a preview of the heartbreak that's in store for Elio when their relationship ends. And for Oliver, I think it throws into stark relief the many dimensions of power that he has over Elio in terms of age, experience, authority, and actual physical strength. The person he's dealing with isn't a kid, but he's not really an adult either.

So I get why there's a bunch of snickering and winking because, you know, there's a peach full of semen. But I also think that their short interaction does a ton of heavy lifting in shifting the nature of their relationship and laying bare the dangers of a relationship with such a power imbalance.