Oscar's Best Supporting Actor 2023

Tools    

And the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor goes to...?
45.00%
9 votes
Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Insherin
0%
0 votes
Brian Tyree Henry, Causeway
0%
0 votes
Judd Hirsch, The Fablemans
20.00%
4 votes
Barry Keoghan, The Banshees of Inisherin
35.00%
7 votes
Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once
20 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The nominees are...

Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin
Brian Tyree Henry, Causeway
Judd Hirsch, The Fablemans
Barry Keoghan, The Banshees of Inisherin
Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Ke Huy Quan will for sure win and he was wonderful in EEAAO. I think Paul Dano should have been nominated in this category though. Hirsch was good, but only had one short scene. Both of the Banshees guys were good and deserving of their nom.

Ke Huy Quan will for sure win and he was wonderful in EEAAO. I think Paul Dano should have been nominated in this category though. Hirsch was good, but only had one short scene. Both of the Banshees guys were good and deserving of their nom.
I, too, would have nominated Paul Dano over Judd Hirsch...scratching my head regarding what the academy has against Dano. Cannot believe this guy has not earned a singleOscar nomination, particularly for There Will Be Blood

Welcome to the human race...
I liked Hirsch in Fabelmans well enough, but if you're going to throw a legacy nomination to a veteran character actor with limited screentime in the actual film then it might as well be James Hong in EEAAO. Him suddenly switching up from being a doddery grandpa to a ruthless mastermind is one of my favourite parts of that film.

Just watched Causeway, so I have now seen all five supporting actor nominees and my opinion hasn't changed. As much as I would like to see this award go to Brendon Gleeson, I think it's going to Kwon.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Yesterday, I saw Brian Tyree Henry in Causeway.
Judd Hirsch remains the only not seen in this category.

Didn't know Judd was still acting. Good for him.

I forgot the opening line.
I've seen 4/5 - haven't seen Causeway.

I feel happy that there's a good chance that Ke Huy Quan will win an Oscar come March. I've known him for so long as that cheeky rascal in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and it was great to catch up with him as an adult. I really liked Barry Keoghan in The Banshees of Inisherin the most, but that's just me. Contrary. Not on purpose though.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

At the age of seventy-seven, Judd Hirsch is now the second-oldest nominee for one of the four acting awards. Only Christopher Plummer was a year older when he was nominated for All the Money in the World. Hirsch has one previous nomination, also for Best Supporting Actor, for his work in Bob Redford's Best Picture winner Ordinary People. Hirsch lost to his co-star Timothy Hutton, who was only twenty at the time and still holds the record for the youngest winner in the category. Hirsch has had a long career, though known much more for his television and stage work than his feature films. Playing River Phoenix's father in Sidney Lumet's Running On Empty may have been his best post-Ordinary People role, and portraying Jeff Goldblum's father in Independence Day certainly the highest profile role he ever had in a movie. He has won Tonys and Emmys and Golden Globes, but the Oscar will continue to elude him. He plays the stand-in for Spielberg's great uncle in The Fabelmans, and while his couple of scenes are important character wise, encouraging the youngster to pursue his art, he is only very briefly in the flick. No win for you, Delvecchio.

Hirsch's nomination was a bit of a surprise due to the size of the role, but Brian Tyree Henry's was a surprise due to the size of his film. A24's Causeway got a very small release before streaming on Apple TV+, and despite starring Jennifer Lawrence and some decent reviews it didn't generate a lot of heat. Before his Oscar nomination Henry was probably best known for the FX series "Atlanta" with Donald Glover and as one of the many assassins aboard the Bullet Train with Brad Pitt. If Beale Street Could Talk was his first breakout movie moment and just a few years later he is an Oscar nominee. He is very good in Causeway, the quality of the performance and the spotlight of the nom will very likely translate into some good jobs, but it is extremely unlikely he will win. Not this year.

Brendan Gleeson and Barry Keoghan are both excellent in The Banshees of Inisherin. Gleeson is certainly well-known and beloved on both sides of the pond, and though he has given Oscar-caliber performances in the past (Calvary, The Guard, The General) this is his first nomination. This is Keoghan's first nomination as well. And though he has had some great roles before, including Yorgos Lanthimos' The Killing of a Sacred Deer with Colin Farrell, his work in Banshees of Inisherin is quite wonderful and revelatory. The scene where he gets the nerve up to ask Siobhán if she could ever fall in love with a boy like him is sweet and funny and devastating, with his last bit of hope he has allowed himself extinguished right before our eyes. Two wonderful and key performances in the same film. Doesn't that mean they will cancel each other out? Not necessarily. Three of the last six times co-stars were in the same category one of them prevailed, including Daniel Kaluuya (Judas and the Black Messiah) and Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri) in this category.

If there is a sentimental favorite it is Ke Huy Quan. His child star beginnings in two beloved 1980s classics, Short Round in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Data in Goonies, have made him an evergreen part of pop culture. He co-starred in one sitcom as a kid after those movies with Elliott Gould & Dee Wallace, but it only ran a year. His last role as a teenager was a small part in Encino Man, but by then the parts had dried up and he left the business. Nearly forty years after he helped Dr. Jones in his adventure The Daniels thought of him for their multiverse tale and much to his own surprise he wound up not just back in front of cameras but on the awards circuit. That he has been winning and accepting these awards in front of Steven Spielberg, who is also at these ceremonies with The Fabelmans, has made for some genuine joy. If he were to win the Oscar that scene would surely play out again. But maybe the voters are ready for a new scene to play out?

Keoghan is so great in everything he is in, would be really cool to see him win. It won’t happen because Gleeson is almost a co-lead, also great, and deservedly beloved.

Shout out to Henry. I think he’s playing the guy he always plays in Causeway, but he is awesome. Always love seeing him show up.

I voted for Gleeson, he really did a good job of a stone cold, grumpy old man. But it will go to Quan.

Watched Women Talking yesterday and had to come here and say that I would have nominated Ben Whishaw for this film over Brian Tyree Henry for Causeway.

Keoghan is so great in everything he is in, would be really cool to see him win. It won’t happen because Gleeson is almost a co-lead, also great, and deservedly beloved.

Shout out to Henry. I think he’s playing the guy he always plays in Causeway, but he is awesome. Always love seeing him show up.

Loved Keoghan in The Killing of a Sacred Deer...fantastic performance.

Watched Women Talking yesterday and had to come here and say that I would have nominated Ben Whishaw for this film over Brian Tyree Henry for Causeway.
100 % agreed. Whishaw was excellent in Women Talking and deserved a nom.