Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Incubus, 1966

Kia (Allyson Ames) is a subbus who, along with fellow demon Amael (Eloise Hardt) seduces and kills the vain men who come to her small seaside town where the water are purported to have healing and beautifying powers. But Kia is bored with "harvesting" already rotten souls and wants a challenge. Enter handsome soldier Marco (William Shatner) who has come to the town with his sister, Arndis (Ann Atmar) to take advantage of the healing waters. But when Kia and Marco develop a deep and mutual attraction, they'll find that they're both in danger.

It's been at least 15 years since I first read about this film, and since then I've seen it intermittently referenced, mainly as the butt of a joke. But this is a frothy little piece of horror melodrama with some spooky visuals and a compelling story that only builds in consequence as it progresses.

The choice to center this film on the experiences of its anti-hero, Kia, already makes for an interesting structure. Kia is warned by Amael that messing with decent people can lead to developing feelings for them, but Kia doesn't heed that warning. Her confusion at falling for Marco's stupid hunky purity is very engaging. This only increases when Marco, unaware of exactly who and what Kia is, takes her into a church. The conversation between Kia and Amael afterward---that taking her to a holy place was a violation and that she needs revenge--moves the story to another level of drama.

Ames is good as Kia, playing a mixture of pride, bafflement, regret, and attraction. Hardt makes for a nicely icy counterpart, essentially the demon on the shoulder of the slightly-less terrible demon. Is Amael advising Kia or tempting her? The blurring of the nature of their relationship is a lot of fun. In this mythology, there's a strange sense of the succubi having some autonomy and not necessarily being inherently evil. Shatner--whose presence is probably to blame for the lazy contempt tossed in the film's direction--is perfectly fine as Marco. He doesn't understand what he's in for until things get really bad.

After the church incident, Amael convinces Kia to summon an incubus (Milos Milos) to punish Marco. The performance Milos gives is . . . weird. It's weird. But it's the kind of weird that adds to the atmosphere of the film. A sequence where the incubus comes after Arndis is, as it reaches its peak, legitimately disturbing.

In fact, as the film swings into its last act, the weirdness and upset really gets turned up a notch. The movie gets a lot darker and more upsetting than you'd imagine from the slow, low-key beginning half where most of the horror comes in the form of black clad figures standing along the beach. Very specifically (and yet vaguely--no spoilers!), I think that the film really nails the last few minutes.

There are a few minor downsides. One special effect is not very convincing, and it means that a certain sequence treads on the edge of being silly instead of scary. But I was invested enough in the characters to shrug this off. The movie is also in Esperanto, which is only a bit of an issue because at times you can sense the cast trying to get themselves around the various pronunciations.

With a great premise, some fabulous visuals, and a solid ending, this is an easy recommendation for any horror fan.

This isn't necessarily relevant to the film itself, but dang did some bad stuff happen to several of the actors in it!

The man who played the incubus killed the woman he was having an affair with, then killed himself.

The actress who played the sister also died of suicide.

The actress who played Amael lost her daughter in a terrible murder.

Very sad.

I feel I must have seen Incubus, but I have no recollection.

Sounds like my kind of movie though.
I highly encourage a revisit! I'm genuinely baffled as to why it isn't a more frequently discussed/recommended film in the horror conversations here and elsewhere.

I forgot the opening line.

By "©1942 by the United Artists Corporation" - Scan via Heritage Auctions. Cropped from the original image., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=86868664

To Be or Not to Be - (1942)

Wow - way to obfuscate the fact this film is about Poland, World War II and the Nazis on your film poster - looks more like a wedding and romance. Anyway, some critics did come down on this at the time, but of course since so much time has passed we can now enjoy this film's sharp sense of humour, and my hat is off to Sig Ruman, playing German Col. Ehrhardt in an exaggeratedly silly way. He steals just about every scene he's in. I love Carole Lombard and managed not to think about the fact that this was the end for her - she'd be killed in a plane crash not long after filming, and the movie itself was released one month after her death. That's a lot of war and death to ignore for the sake of a comedy - but To Be or Not to Be is so well made that it's easy to slip into the narrative without having a moment to drift away and reflect on anything else. My favourite part? When every time Jack Benny, playing Hamlet, says "To be or not to be" Robert Stack takes it as his cue to meet up with Maria (Lombard) and leaves his front row seat, much to Benny's consternation. Next up on my journey through the Golden Age of comedy during the 1930s and 1940s is His Girl Friday.

7.5/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Empire of Light (2022)

A decent cast, some period accurate snacks and a collection of themes in search of a plot.

I went into this mistakenly thinking it was set in earlier (maybe because one of the characters wears a hat on the poster) but its instantly clear it's set in 1980. A collection of characters work at a seafront cinema. Olivia Colman's manager is lonely, recovering from a mental illness and having a meaningless affair with her boss. Then she meets and strikes up a relationship with a new colleague.

There's nothing new or meaningful here. Racism is bad, mental illness and loneliness are sad and cinema is good, in case you didn't already know. It really needed decent script rather than a collection of tropes (if I see one more movie where a woman submerges herself in a bath to signify her emotional turmoil...). Several moments made me cringe. There's one good line (seriously, one). The music (Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross) is good. Mostly it just feels empty and a wasted opportunity.

No Child of Mine (1997)

I found this title recently in my quest to watch the most disturbing films ever made. I can sit on the sofa eating a dish of linguine while watching A Serbian Film with no problem, but I had a lot of difficulty getting through this and thought about shutting it off multiple times. The crazy thing about that is it's a British made for TV film. There's no graphic content, but it's based on a true story about a young girl who is abused sexually, physically, emotionally, you name it. I had so much sadness and anger and I sure cried. On YouTube.

SF = Zzz

SF = Z

Would liked to have watched it in the original telugu language but netflix doesn't offer it, so watched the dubbed version as it seemed to match the lip movement more than the hindi language. Shame.

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

I forgot the opening line.

By "Copyrighted by Columbia Pictures Corp, New York, N.*Y. 1939" - Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=92519789

His Girl Friday - (1940)

I'd already seen His Girl Friday a number of years ago, and really liked it - despite the version I was watching not being the best audio and visual quality. Was looking forward to watching my Criterion edition, and it really sparkles as probably the best adaptation of the play, "The Front Page" I've yet seen. I would have thought it a terrible idea to turn it into something of a romantic comedy, but Cary Grant really makes it work with his sly comedic manner. I tell you, my attention is focused on his face - he's an actor who can let the audience know what he's thinking, even when it's at odds with what he's saying. The actual satire of the original story seems a bonus on top of the screwball comedy we get. The fact that Ralph Bellamy kept working up until the 1990s will always tickle me as well. A few decades later Rosalind Russell would play Rose in Gypsy. All up His Girl Friday is a great movie that moves at an absolute bullet train pace and gives it's characters plenty of room to shine. If anyone has any recommendations of more comedies from this 1930s/1940s era with Cary Grant, Irene Dunne or the likes in them, please let me know. I really enjoy them.

8/10

30th Hall of Fame

Ida (2013) -

I didn't enjoy this film as much as I hoped to, but it's still pretty decent. I think a lot of my indifference towards it was that there wasn't enough to keep me on board with it. I've read some reviews which point out how Kulesza and Trzebuchowska show subtle changes as more insight about Ida's past is revealed, but while I don't doubt this is the case, acting usually doesn't matter a whole lot to me. I've said this in the past, but I'm generally not one who pays attention to acting, and it wasn't until the few minutes before
WARNING: spoilers below
Wanda's suicide
where I began to feel something towards the acting. Of course, there are all kinds of tools a film can utilize other than acting to represent characters being shaped and changed, but aside from the final act, I didn't think there was a whole lot to this. So much time is spent on slowly revealing Ida's background and it wasn't until Ida and Wanda parted ways when their characters grew more interesting. Though yeah, the final act is pretty memorable, specifically due to Ida's arc. Even though I would've preferred it taking up more of the film, it's a compelling depiction of attempting to start a new life and being haunted by your past. The black and white cinematography is also lovely to look at since it contains multiple well-framed shots. In spite of enjoying the final act a good bit, however, I'd say this film was decent and I don't imagine it will stick with me. Interestingly enough, My Summer of Love, the other film I've seen from Pawlikowski, gave me a similar reaction of not being on board with it until the final act. I'm curious now if this will be a pattern for his films.

Victim of The Night

By "Copyrighted by Columbia Pictures Corp, New York, N.*Y. 1939" - Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=92519789

His Girl Friday - (1940)

I'd already seen His Girl Friday a number of years ago, and really liked it - despite the version I was watching not being the best audio and visual quality. Was looking forward to watching my Criterion edition, and it really sparkles as probably the best adaptation of the play, "The Front Page" I've yet seen. I would have thought it a terrible idea to turn it into something of a romantic comedy, but Cary Grant really makes it work with his sly comedic manner. I tell you, my attention is focused on his face - he's an actor who can let the audience know what he's thinking, even when it's at odds with what he's saying. The actual satire of the original story seems a bonus on top of the screwball comedy we get. The fact that Ralph Bellamy kept working up until the 1990s will always tickle me as well. A few decades later Rosalind Russell would play Rose in Gypsy. All up His Girl Friday is a great movie that moves at an absolute bullet train pace and gives it's characters plenty of room to shine. If anyone has any recommendations of more comedies from this 1930s/1940s era with Cary Grant, Irene Dunne or the likes in them, please let me know. I really enjoy them.

8/10
Topper (1937) is pretty fun too.

The trick is not minding
30th Hall of Fame

Ida (2013) -

I didn't enjoy this film as much as I hoped to, but it's still pretty decent. I think a lot of my indifference towards it was that there wasn't enough to keep me on board with it. I've read some reviews which point out how Kulesza and Trzebuchowska show subtle changes as more insight about Ida's past is revealed, but while I don't doubt this is the case, acting usually doesn't matter a whole lot to me. I've said this in the past, but I'm generally not one who pays attention to acting, and it wasn't until the few minutes before
WARNING: spoilers below
Wanda's suicide
where I began to feel something towards the acting. Of course, there are all kinds of tools a film can utilize other than acting to represent characters being shaped and changed, but aside from the final act, I didn't think there was a whole lot to this. So much time is spent on slowly revealing Ida's background and it wasn't until Ida and Wanda parted ways when their characters grew more interesting. Though yeah, the final act is pretty memorable, specifically due to Ida's arc. Even though I would've preferred it taking up more of the film, it's a compelling depiction of attempting to start a new life and being haunted by your past. The black and white cinematography is also lovely to look at since it contains multiple well-framed shots. In spite of enjoying the final act a good bit, however, I'd say this film was decent and I don't imagine it will stick with me. Interestingly enough, My Summer of Love, the other film I've seen from Pawlikowski, gave me a similar reaction of not being on board with it until the final act. I'm curious now if this will be a pattern for his films.
Ida is great, but Cold War is far better.

'The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' (1962)

"What's the frst thing you'd do if you won £75,000?"
-"Count it !"

Tony Richardson's 1962 film starring Tom Courtenay is part of a glut of British films from the 60's that had an 'angry young man' vibe. Courtenay plays Colin Smith, who is a petty thief completely disaffected from society. Colin hates money, as it has led to his family's miserable life. He doesn't want to follow in his father's footsteps who worked hard all his life and died before retirement.

We see Smith entering borstal for a crime he has committed, then Richardson uses flashbacks to tell his back story, his home life, his relationships and the events that led up to the crime he committed. The film borrows heavily from French new wave cinema and Italian neo realism, and it does so very well. There are marks of Truffaut, Goddard and de Sica all over it; with Colin's poverty stricken family being of particular focus.

Colin learns that he's quite good at long distance running, symbolistic of running away from his problems, and the finale is a brilliant scene where Colin has one final say on the system that he's found himself in. This film would have been a large inspiration for the likes of Ken Loach, and is possibly one of the very best British films of the 1960s.

Let Me Fall (2018)

-

I just found this Icelandic film after ScarletLion brought it up in the favorite hard drug movies thread. I think I still prefer Christiane F, but I would rate this a close 2nd, both well ahead of the more well known and popular Requiem for a Dream. This also doubles as a coming of age love story involving 2 teen girls, and it's a non linear storyline as we also see them around a decade later when 1 is clean and 1 is not, but they are both permanently damaged. Horror and sadness dominate hope, and even the little things like a father pleading with his daughter not to go put knots in my stomach. Very well made and acted and a must see for people interested in the subject. Almost 50 years between The Panic in Needle Park and this film and lives are still being destroyed and lost. Will it ever end? I watched it on Prime.

Let Me Fall (2018)

-

I just found this Icelandic film after ScarletLion brought it up in the favorite hard drug movies thread. I think I still prefer Christiane F, but I would rate this a close 2nd, both well ahead of the more well known and popular Requiem for a Dream. This also doubles as a coming of age love story involving 2 teen girls, and it's a non linear storyline as we also see them around a decade later when 1 is clean and 1 is not, but they are both permanently damaged. Horror and sadness dominate hope, and even the little things like a father pleading with his daughter not to go put knots in my stomach. Very well made and acted and a must see for people interested in the subject. Almost 50 years between The Panic in Needle Park and this film and lives are still being destroyed and lost. Will it ever end? I watched it on Prime.

Glad you enjoyed. I thought it was fantastic.