Help me with 2022 Movie Recommendations

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Many of you were very helpful with movie recommendations for the 2010s countdown, so I'm asking for your help again for movie recommendations for 2022 movies for the 2022 MoFo Film Awards.

As with the previous recommendations request, if everyone just starts throwing out a bunch of titles, many of them will just get lost in the shuffle, so please try to make an effort to recommend movies that you think might have a real chance to make my ballot.

This is a link to my favorite movie lists from the various countdowns that we've done here on MoFo. It should give you an idea of what kinds of movies I like.

https://www.movieforums.com/lists/custom/viewall/84622

For additional help with recommendations, here are a few guidelines:

I like romance and rom-coms.
I like musicals, but not loud, rock-music type of musicals. I like the classic musicals, like the ones from the 1960s and earlier.
I like comedy, but not raunchy comedy. Screwball comedies are okay too.
I like dramas, as long as they're not slow and/or depressing. Emotional dramas are okay, as long as they're not two hours of watching people's depressing lives.
I like mysteries and suspense movies, as long as they're not too graphic.
I like sci-fi, but more the fantasy/sci-fi movies, NOT the horror/sci-fi movies. Time travel movies are good too.

I do NOT like horror movies, especially bloody, gory, disgusting movies.
I do NOT like raunchy movies, or movies about sex, rape, etc.
I do NOT like movies where children and/or animals are hurt or killed.
I usually do NOT like long movies.

And most important, I have a terrible fear of spiders, even just seeing them on screen, so PLEASE, no movies with spiders in them. Thank you.

Thanks in advance for your help and recommendations.

I read through some lists of 2022 movies on IMDB and Wikipedia, and these are some of the movies that I'm considering watching.

The movies that have notes in parenthesis are movies that I haven't heard of or don't know much about, but whatever I wrote in the notes is the reason that I'm considering watching that movie. (Usually it's an actor or genre that I like.)

I'm interested in hearing any comments that anyone has about any of these movies, good or bad. And if I missed any movies that you think I would like, please let me know. Thanks again.

Top Gun: Maverick
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Jurassic World Dominion
Minions: The Rise of Gru
The Batman
Thor: Love and Thunder
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Black Adam

Hotel Transylvania: Transformania
The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild
Death on the Nile
Marry Me (Jennifer Lopez, Owen Wilson)
Dog (Channing Tatum)
Cyrano
The Adam Project (Ryan Reynolds, Mark Ruffalo, Jennifer Garner)
Turning Red
Rescued by Ruby (Grant Gustin, Scott Wolf)
The Lost City (Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Daniel Radcliffe)
Everything Everywhere All at Once
7 Days (Mark Duplass)
Moonshot (Sci-Fi/Rom-Com)

Morbius
Better Nate Than Ever (Musical)
The Bad Guys (Animated)
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (Neil Patrick Harris)
Polar Bear (Disney Documentary)
Along for the Ride (Romance/Drama)
Marmaduke
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
Hustle (Adam Sandler drama that's supposed to be good)
Father of the Bride (Andy García)
Lightyear
Jerry & Marge Go Large
Elvis (Austin Butler, Tom Hanks)
The Man from Toronto (Woody Harrelson, Kaley Cuoco)
The Sea Beast (Animated, Karl Urban)

The Gray Man (Ryan Gosling, Chris Evans)
Don't Make Me Go (John Cho)
DC League of Super-Pets
Thirteen Lives (Ron Howard (director); Viggo Mortensen, Colin Farrell, Joel Edgerton)
Luck (Animated)
Secret Headquarters
Three Thousand Years of Longing (Idris Elba)
See How They Run (Saoirse Ronan, Sam Rockwell, Adrien Brody)
Confess, Fletch
The Munsters
The Good House (Sigourney Weaver, Kevin Kline)

Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile
Amsterdam (Michael Shannon, Timothy Olyphant)
Raymond & Ray (Ewan McGregor, Ethan Hawke)
Ticket to Paradise (George Clooney, Julia Roberts)
The Banshees of Inisherin (Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson)
The Return of Tanya Tucker: Featuring Brandi Carlile (Documentary)
The Estate (Guillermo del Toro)
The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg (director/screenplay))
Spirited (Musical/Comedy)
Disenchanted (Sequel to the 2007 film Enchanted.)
Slumberland (Kyle Chandler)
Strange World (Animated), (Jake Gyllenhaal, Dennis Quaid)
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
Spoiler Alert (Jim Parsons, Sally Field)
The Whale (Brendan Fraser)
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
The Pale Blue Eye
A Man Called Otto (Tom Hanks)

Roald Dahl's Matilda the Musical
She Said
Uncharted (Tom Holland)
The Son (Hugh Jackman, Laura Dern, Anthony Hopkins)
The Amazing Maurice (Animated)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I would suggest Elvis and A Man Called Otto might be films you would like from the ones you have listed.

Matilda the Musical is good also. I don't know if you know the stage show but if you like that you would probably like the film. It took me a little while to get used to it, if you have the 90s film of Matilda in your head you will find yourself comparing the casting but as a musical it is clever and enjoyable (if not quite as emotional as the stage show ).

I would suggest Elvis and A Man Called Otto might be films you would like from the ones you have listed.

Matilda the Musical is good also. I don't know if you know the stage show but if you like that you would probably like the film. It took me a little while to get used to it, if you have the 90s film of Matilda in your head you will find yourself comparing the casting but as a musical it is clever and enjoyable (if not quite as emotional as the stage show ).

Thanks for the help.

I wanted to see Elvis even before it was released, so I'm looking forward to it. I heard that Austin Butler is terrific in it.

I don't know much about A Man Called Otto, but I usually like Tom Hanks movies, so I'm hoping this lives up to his reputation.

I've never seen the 90s movie Matilda, and I don't know much about it, but I like musicals, so I figured that I would give this one a try.

I haven't seen The Lost City, but my room mates both really enjoyed it. Wikipedia is calling it an action-adventure comedy, but they described it as a rom-com, so it might be worth checking out.

What's not worth your time however, is Morbius. There's a reason why it bombed twice in theatres, haha.

Just a heads up: there are some horror elements to Doctor Strange. Obviously there's no gore, since it still needed to be approved by Disney, but there is enough of what I guess they call "frightening imagery" to be noteworthy.

Thanks for the help.

I haven't seen The Lost City, but my room mates both really enjoyed it. Wikipedia is calling it an action-adventure comedy, but they described it as a rom-com, so it might be worth checking out.
I never even heard of The Lost City until I started researching 2022 movies yesterday, but I'm a fan of Sandra Bullock, and I usually like Channing Tatum, so I thought it was worth giving it a try. I'm glad to know that it's more of a rom-com because that's one of my favorite genres.

What's not worth your time however, is Morbius. There's a reason why it bombed twice in theatres, haha.
I haven't heard anything good about Morbius, but I think it's one of the MCU movies, and Hubby usually likes those, so I'll leave it up to him. If he wants to see it, I'll watch it with him, but if he doesn't, then I'll skip it.

Just a heads up: there are some horror elements to Doctor Strange. Obviously there's no gore, since it still needed to be approved by Disney, but there is enough of what I guess they call "frightening imagery" to be noteworthy.
Thanks for the info about Doctor Strange. I saw the first Doctor Strange movie a while back, but I didn't remember much about it except that I was confused most of the time. But I rewatched it after I saw Spider-Man: No Way Home because I got a better understanding of the character, and I really liked him. I know that Hubby has been wanting to see the new Doctor Strange movie, so I'm sure that he'll want to watch it with me. I'm counting on Disney to keep the "frightening imagery" to a minimum.

I haven't heard anything good about Morbius, but I think it's one of the MCU movies, and Hubby usually likes those, so I'll leave it up to him. If he wants to see it, I'll watch it with him, but if he doesn't, then I'll skip it.
It's actually not part of the MCU, if that helps. It's the third part of Sony's own cinematic universe, after the two Venom films.

It's actually not part of the MCU, if that helps. It's the third part of Sony's own cinematic universe, after the two Venom films.
Thanks. Hubby probably knows that. We watched the first Venom movie, so I'll have to ask him if he wants to see it or not.

We used to go to the theater to watch all the superhero movies, but we stopped a few years ago due to annoying people and ticket prices going sky high, and then the pandemic didn't help either. So we've fallen behind on a bunch of them. We caught up on some of them because of the 2010s countdown, but we're still playing catch-up.

So this is your first list....
  1. Top Gun: Maverick
  2. Avatar: The Way of Water
  3. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  4. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  5. Jurassic World Dominion
  6. The Batman
  7. Thor: Love and Thunder
  8. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  9. Black Adam
  10. Death on the Nile
  11. Dog (Channing Tatum)
  12. Turning Red
  13. Everything Everywhere All at Once
  14. Morbius
  15. The Bad Guys (Animated)
  16. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (Neil Patrick Harris)
  17. Lightyear
  18. Elvis (Austin Butler, Tom Hanks)
  19. See How They Run (Saoirse Ronan, Sam Rockwell, Adrien Brody)
  20. Confess, Fletch
  21. Ticket to Paradise (George Clooney, Julia Roberts)
  22. The Banshees of Inisherin (Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson)
  23. The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg (director/screenplay))
  24. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
  25. The Pale Blue Eye
  26. Uncharted (Tom Holland)

First I would cut these films because they are bad....
  1. Uncharted (Tom Holland)
  2. Morbius
  3. Black Adam
  4. Jurassic World Dominion
Next these films I would cut because of length and as I recall you don't like reading subtitles.

1. Everything Everywhere All at Once
  2. The Banshees of Inisherin
  3. Avatar: The Way of Water
  4. The Batman
  5. The Pale Blue Eye
  6. Elvis
  7. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness(if you didn't see Wandavision it's not worth it)
So if I'm ranking the animated films
  1. Turning Red
  2. Marcel the Shell with Shoes On(not on your list)
  3. Lightyear
  4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  5. The Bad Guys
The Big films
  2. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  3. Thor: Love and Thunder
Your Mysteries
  1. Vegeance (not on your list)
  2. See How They Run
  3. Glass Onion
  4. Death on the Nile
  5. Confess Fletch
Which leaves the others....

1. The Fabelmans - can be rough to watch at points but it's solid
  2. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent- well you like Fletch and it's a lot like a meta version of Fletch
  3. Dog - I don't think any dogs get hurt so might be up your alley
  4. Ticket to Paradise- pleasant enough

While you aren't into horror The Menu is subtle enough and funny so you might really like that one.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Oooh... Okay... Bye.

Seriously, though:
Aftersun
The Quiet Girl
The Fabelmans
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

i think you'll like:
thirteen lives
three thousand years of longing
top gun: maverick
death on the nile
dog
cyrano
the bad guys
elvis
dc league of super-pets
ticket to paradise
the fabelmans
glass onion
disenchanted (i hated this but it might work for you)

i don't think you'll like:
morbius
the pale blue eye
amsterdam
the gray man
black adam
jurassic world dominion

not on your list but i think you'd like it:
after yang
kimi
playground
a love song
guillermo del toro's pinocchio
operation mincemeat
fire of love
catherine called birdy
marcel the shell with shoes on
cha cha real smooth
all the old knives
apollo 10 1/2: a space age childhood
mrs. harris goes to paris

here's my ranked list for the year if you're looking for more ideas: https://letterboxd.com/inmate/list/2022/
criticker

Thanks for your help.

Just an FYI, my list isn't in any specific order. It's just in the order that I found the movies on other lists, and I broke it up into sections just to make it easier to read.

So this is your first list....
  2. Avatar: The Way of Water
  3. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  4. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  5. Jurassic World Dominion
  6. The Batman
  7. Thor: Love and Thunder
  8. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  9. Black Adam
  10. Death on the Nile
  11. Dog (Channing Tatum)
  12. Turning Red
  13. Everything Everywhere All at Once
  14. Morbius
  15. The Bad Guys (Animated)
  16. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (Neil Patrick Harris)
  17. Lightyear
  18. Elvis (Austin Butler, Tom Hanks)
  19. See How They Run (Saoirse Ronan, Sam Rockwell, Adrien Brody)
  20. Confess, Fletch
  21. Ticket to Paradise (George Clooney, Julia Roberts)
  22. The Banshees of Inisherin (Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson)
  23. The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg (director/screenplay))
  24. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
  25. The Pale Blue Eye
  26. Uncharted (Tom Holland)

First I would cut these films because they are bad....
  1. Uncharted (Tom Holland)
  2. Morbius
  3. Black Adam
  4. Jurassic World Dominion

Thanks for the info about the movies to cut. I haven't heard anything good about any of them, but the first three are on my list basically because I thought Hubby would want to see them, and we would watch them together, so it will be up to him if we watch them or not. (But I might bump them down on the list until after the MoFo Awards thread is done.)

The Jurassic World movie is on my list only because I haven't finished watching the JW trilogy yet.

Next these films I would cut because of length and as I recall you don't like reading subtitles.

1. Everything Everywhere All at Once
  2. The Banshees of Inisherin
  3. Avatar: The Way of Water
  4. The Batman
  5. The Pale Blue Eye
  6. Elvis
  7. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness(if you didn't see Wandavision it's not worth it)
You're remembering correctly. I don't like reading subtitles.

From this list, I thought only Everything Everywhere All at Once had subtitles. I only had it on the list because I've been hearing that it's one of the best films of the year, and it's on one of the cable movie channels this month, so it's easily accessible.

Do any of the other movies on this list have subtitles, or are they just long movies?

The only other ones that I really want to see are Elvis and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. We saw the first two episodes of "Wandavision", but we haven't finished watching it yet. (I didn't know there was a connection between Dr. Strange and Wandavision.)

So if I'm ranking the animated films
  1. Turning Red
  2. Marcel the Shell with Shoes On(not on your list)
  3. Lightyear
  4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  5. The Bad Guys
I just read about Marcel the Shell with Shoes On a little while ago, and it sounds interesting, so I added it to my list.

I heard that Lightyear isn't very good, but I still want to see it.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is another movie that's easily accessible on cable this month, and I liked the first movie, so I want to see this one too.

The Big films
  2. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  3. Thor: Love and Thunder
Top Gun: Maverick is the big one for me on this list. The other two are more for Hubby and I to watch together. Plus I heard that the Thor movie isn't very good.

Your Mysteries
  1. Vegeance (not on your list)
  2. See How They Run
  3. Glass Onion
  4. Death on the Nile
  5. Confess Fletch
I haven't heard of Vegeance, so I'll have to check it out.

Which leaves the others....

1. The Fabelmans - can be rough to watch at points but it's solid
  2. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent- well you like Fletch and it's a lot like a meta version of Fletch
  3. Dog - I don't think any dogs get hurt so might be up your alley
  4. Ticket to Paradise- pleasant enough
The Fabelmans is a must see for me because it's Spielberg.

I'm on the fence with The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent because I don't like Nicolas Cage, but it was recommended by a friend. (FYI, I haven't seen the Chevy Chase Fletch movies. I like John Hamm, and the new movie is on cable this month.)

While you aren't into horror The Menu is subtle enough and funny so you might really like that one.
Thanks for the info about The Menu. I didn't include anything that listed as horror, but since you think this might be okay, I'll add it to my list.

Oooh... Okay... Bye.

Seriously, though:
Aftersun
The Quiet Girl
The Fabelmans

Thanks for your help.

The Fabelmans is near the top of my list because it's Spielberg.

I haven't heard of the other two movies, but I took a quick look at the synopsis and they sound like they might be good. I added them to my list.

Thanks for your help.

i think you'll like:
thirteen lives
three thousand years of longing
top gun: maverick
death on the nile
dog
cyrano
the bad guys
elvis
dc league of super-pets
ticket to paradise
the fabelmans
glass onion
disenchanted (i hated this but it might work for you)
I have high hopes for Cyrano because it's a musical, and I usually like Peter Dinklage.

I loved Enchanted, so I'm hoping that Disenchanted is at least almost as good as the first movie.

i don't think you'll like:
morbius
the pale blue eye
amsterdam
the gray man
black adam
jurassic world dominion
For now, I may have to skip Morbius, Black Adam, and Jurassic World Dominion because everybody seems to agree that they're a waste of time. (I guess Hubby will just have to wait a little bit longer to see them.)

not on your list but i think you'd like it:
after yang
kimi
playground
a love song
guillermo del toro's pinocchio
operation mincemeat
fire of love
catherine called birdy
marcel the shell with shoes on
cha cha real smooth
all the old knives
apollo 10 1/2: a space age childhood
mrs. harris goes to paris
I haven't heard of most of these, so I'll have to look into them tomorrow.

here's my ranked list for the year if you're looking for more ideas: https://letterboxd.com/inmate/list/2022/
Thanks for the link to your list. I'll look through that tomorrow too. (It's almost 4 AM here in New York, so it's time for bed.)

I like romance and rom-coms.
I like musicals, but not loud, rock-music type of musicals. I like the classic musicals, like the ones from the 1960s and earlier.
I like comedy, but not raunchy comedy. Screwball comedies are okay too.
I like dramas, as long as they're not slow and/or depressing. Emotional dramas are okay, as long as they're not two hours of watching people's depressing lives.
I like mysteries and suspense movies, as long as they're not too graphic.
I like sci-fi, but more the fantasy/sci-fi movies, NOT the horror/sci-fi movies. Time travel movies are good too.

I do NOT like movies where children and/or animals are hurt or killed.
I usually do NOT like long movies.
I think that rules out more or less any of the 92 films made in 2022 I watched! Apart from Top Gun 2.

From this list, I thought only Everything Everywhere All at Once had subtitles. I only had it on the list because I've been hearing that it's one of the best films of the year, and it's on one of the cable movie channels this month, so it's easily accessible.
I don't think you'll like Everything Everwhere All at Once, you can give it a shot but it's got the stuff that you hate. It's two plus hours long, it's got subtitles, and you have some gross stuff in it.

Avatar has subtitles with James Cameron's made up language and Banshees of Inishman you won't be able to understand what they are saying without the subtitles. Banshees also has some gross stuff in it and something else you really don't like.

The only other ones that I really want to see are Elvis and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. We saw the first two episodes of "Wandavision", but we haven't finished watching it yet. (I didn't know there was a connection between Dr. Strange and Wandavision.)
I really liked both Wandavision and the Multiverse of Madness but you do need to watch Wandavision

I heard that Lightyear isn't very good, but I still want to see it.
People went into Lightyear thinking it was going to be a Toy Story sequel and it's really a love letter to a bunch of classic science fiction films. It also got sucked into the Disney vs Right Wingers PC issues because of a lesbian character.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is another movie that's easily accessible on cable this month, and I liked the first movie, so I want to see this one too.
It's fine

Top Gun: Maverick is the big one for me on this list. The other two are more for Hubby and I to watch together. Plus I heard that the Thor movie isn't very good.
It's like a B- movie, it's got a lot of good elements but it drags on a bit. You might enjoy it because it's basically a romcom with a Marvel movie sort of in it.

I haven't heard of Vegeance, so I'll have to check it out.
It's a really solid comedy mystery

Thanks for the info about The Menu. I didn't include anything that listed as horror, but since you think this might be okay, I'll add it to my list.
It's a horror film but it's satire and as someone who likes mysteries the level of violence is what you would see in a typical mystery. It's basically a modern really good episode of the Twilight Zone. That's what type of horror it is.

Thanks for all the info. It's very helpful.

I don't think you'll like Everything Everywhere All at Once, you can give it a shot but it's got the stuff that you hate. It's two plus hours long, it's got subtitles, and you have some gross stuff in it.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll pass on Everything Everywhere All at Once, at least for now. I only have a limited amount of time for this, so I'm going to try to watch movies that I'm more likely to enjoy.

Avatar has subtitles with James Cameron's made up language and Banshees of Inishman you won't be able to understand what they are saying without the subtitles. Banshees also has some gross stuff in it and something else you really don't like.
Did the first Avatar movie have subtitles? It's been so long since I watched it that I don't remember much about it except that visually it was beautiful.

I'll pass on Banshees of Inishman too.

I really liked both Wandavision and the Multiverse of Madness but you do need to watch Wandavision
I'll watch Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness if I can find the time to finish watching "Wandavision" first.

People went into Lightyear thinking it was going to be a Toy Story sequel and it's really a love letter to a bunch of classic science fiction films. It also got sucked into the Disney vs Right Wingers PC issues because of a lesbian character.
Lightyear sounds like it could be better than it's reviews, and I don't have issues with a lesbian character, so that won't bother me.

I'll pass on Banshees of Inishman too.
You'd be passing on my favorite movie of 2022 so far. First half is very funny. Second half is more melancholic. The dialects isn't that bad and gore isn't something you wouldn't see in an average action flick. The Banshees of Inisherin is a great movie.

The Lost City (Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Daniel Radcliffe)
Everything Everywhere All at Once
Morbius
The Sea Beast (Animated, Karl Urban)
The Munsters
The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg (director/screenplay))
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
So I really enjoyed The Lost City. Very goofy and sweet and fun. Would recommend, Bullock and Tatum are great and Radcliffe is very funny in his supporting role.

I loved Everything Everywhere All at Once. Would you love it? I'm not sure. It does have subtitles for a fair chunk and a few gross-out moments. But it's also very sweet in its own way.

I thought Morbius was bad. Really bad. The Munsters movie was not good.

The Sea Beast was generally charming. I saw The Fabelmans in theaters and I think you might like it more than I did. I was very medium on Glass Onion, despite having really loved Knives Out.

One that isn't on your list (unless I missed it) is Apollo 10 1/2 which is really sweet and fun.

You'd be passing on my favorite movie of 2022 so far. First half is very funny. Second half is more melancholic. The dialects isn't that bad and gore isn't something you wouldn't see in an average action flick. The Banshees of Inisherin is a great movie.
It's a great film but it hits on several things that GbGoodies doesn't like

WARNING: spoilers below

Jenny the Donkey's Death
the need for Subtitles
The dismembered hand