The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked

Just last night I watched one that deserves to be on this list. 2013's Coherence. A no-budget science fiction thriller that likely would have never been able to be made in the 70's because it was too expensive to make a film back then.

Great movies are everywhere.
Love this flick, and was fairly obsessed with it for a week or two a few years ago.

WARNING: "Coherence" spoilers below
I was trying to figure out which items linked to which version of each character and each house etc. After a while, I decided it didn't matter, that I was fine just knowing the screenplay was clever. The film has 368 continuity errors, and only 4 of them are accidental.

Huge fan of this, and it just missed my ballot.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Haven't seen Uncut Gems. Mr Next has seen it and liked it and keeps telling me to watch it.

Moonrise Kingdom did nothing for me. I found it twee and irritating. I have no idea why some Wes Anderson works for me and some doesn't but this one definitely did not.

I am now mentally crossing off quite a few films I thought might make it.

Love this flick, and was fairly obsessed with it for a week or two a few years ago.

I was trying to figure out which items linked to which version of each character and each house etc. After a while, I decided it didn't matter, that I was fine just knowing the screenplay was clever. The film has 368 continuity errors, and only 4 of them are accidental.

This is what a movies looks like when you have a great concept and then nail it. And the fact that it was apparently heavily improvised with no script is particularly astonishing.

The whole thing is tense, and funny and a real puzzler that has a lot to say about human nature and, as far as I'm concerned, is the kind of movie that has such a level of paranoia running under it, it almost becomes a horror film.

I loved it. An easy 5/5 for me.

And the less anyone knows about it before going in, the better.

Uncut Gems was good. Looking back at my review/rating for it I kinda loved it. But thinking of it now I’m not exactly that excited about it. I remember some scenes from it but it’s not like I have a huge lust to watch it again. But it’s good.

Moonrise Kingdom was probably what got me into Anderson. Didn’t know too much about him before that. Don’t think I had even seen any other from him before that. But I’ve seen all from his filmography now and this one is definitely still on of my favorites. Very solid.

I feel like his style peaked though with Grand Budapest, which is certainly gonna pop up on here… after that his style got too much (with French Dispatch) and before Moonrise it was gradually more restrained moving backwards. I do like some of his earlier work too. And his animated flicks. I feel like stop-motion suits his style perfectly.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I've seen both #38. Uncut Gems (2019) and #37. Moonrise Kingdom (2012).

• #37. Moonrise Kingdom (2012) - this was my #17.
One more cult movie by the outstanding Wes Anderson. Naturally, it is full of great visuals and witty humour. I've seen it three times and some favorite scenes I watch over and over again, such as the island presentation by Bob Balaban, the Edward Norton's camp-tasks checking and some more.
I cut half a star just because they've centered the kids story which was not very interesting to me.
- (87/100)

---

• #38. Uncut Gems (2019) - While I was watching it about a year ago, I was full with mixed feelings. Yes, the tense atmosphere was presented very well but not other cinema positives can be found here...
- (57/100).

Top 100 seen 29/64.
(#441-458 • seen 2/18
one pointers • seen 4/35)

--
My list:
9. Albert Nobbs (2011) [#453.]
14. Ida (2013) [#71.]
15. Midnight in Paris (2011) [#45.]
17. Moonrise Kingdom (2012) [#37.]
25. Ága (2018) [one-pointer]

==============================
(my extended top 60)

28. Certified Copy (2010) [#84.]
29. Hell or High Water (2016) [#73.]
30. Jagten [The Hunt] (2012) [#57.]
34. Nightcrawler (2014) [#55.]
40. The King's Speech (2010) [#78.]
41. Joker (2019) [#60.]
55. The Descendants (2011) [#98.]
56. 1917 (2019) [#86.]
57. The Revenant (2015) [#53.]
60. The Artist (2011) [#87.]

Deuce from my list

Uncut Gems was Adams Sandlers breakthrough performance decades after his career began. he has since starred in Hustle which is another awesome basketball drama, but much less bleak than UG. A truly excellent film, that will leave you in total shock.

Moonrise is probably my favorite Wes Anderson, and while I haven't seen it in some time I still really enjoy looking back at this innocent and charming story. As all Wes Anderson it's incredibly easy on the eyes.

My List:
4. True Grit (2010)
6. Hereditary (2018)
11. Uncut Gems (2019)
13. The Act of Killing (2012)
18. Midnight in Paris (2011)
20. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
25. Death at a Funeral (2010). (1 pter)

two masterpieces that were right next to each other on my list. uncut gems deserves its reputation as one of the most anxiety-inducing movies ever made. such a devastating portrait of self-destruction, with so much texture and craft. moonrise kingdom is my favorite wes anderson. it's the one that moves me the most, while still being satisfyingly hermetic without pushing it too far. both movies so wonderfully crafted in very different ways. they were #5 and #6 for me, respectively.

my top 200 revealed so far:
2. spring breakers
3. before midnight
5. uncut gems
6. moonrise kingdom

13. certified copy
14. the shape of water
16. holy motors
18. toy story 3
22. inside out
24. anomalisa

26. moonlight
28. manchester by the sea
29. the act of killing
48. a separation
53. the revenant
66. silence
75. gone girl
76. john wick
78. avengers: endgame
89. logan

109. edge of tomorrow
118. ida
122. hereditary
131. under the skin
139. black swan
142. paddleton
158. the handmaiden
163. shutter island
166. ex machina
173. knives out
175. 1917
criticker

Uncut Gems made my list. A terrific, tense thriller. It reminded me of Owning Mahowney. My only knock against it is I think the movie wants me to root for Sandler’s character but I found him too repulsive. Yet all the emotional beats still worked because watching him spiral was just as fun.

Haven’t seen Moonrise Kingdom, I’m not a bit Wes Anderson fan.

But I’ll also recommend Coherence. Excellent movie, everyone go watch it.

Moonrise Kingdom was one my late cuts. Love the movie.

Uncut Gems is my 12. I love Safdie brothers & their frantic style. This movie was brilliant & Sandler was perfect for it, giving one of his best performances apart from the one in Punch Drunk Love. Also, 'The Ballad of Howie Bling' is a tune I often listen to.

I hear they are collaborating again.Also, I hope Good Time makes the list too, but I doubt it.

I will also concur that Coherence is one of those little, solid sci-fi low budget gems (that I just assumed everyone was aware of already for some reason), that people should probably check out if they haven't.

The truth is in here
Uncut Gems is not on my list, but I respect it. The story really goes at a breakneck pace, and even during the quieter moments you don't feel totally relaxed. I think a lot of that has to do with how it's filmed, where the camera feels like it's fretting just as much as the audience. The more Howard digs himself deep into trouble, the more hectic it moves.
Adam Sandler gives the performance of a lifetime. He's always done well in dramatic roles, but maybe never better than here. You keep getting frustrated at the character being such a selfish idiot, making horrible decisions like it's some sort of compulsion of his. Howard isn't addicted to just making money, he's addicted to elevating himself. Everything is about a bigger goal, but there's no way he would ever be satisfied, and no way he will ever understand when he's taken things too far and needs to step back a little. But somehow the bigger the hole he digs himself into gets, the more you are begging for him to succeed. Sandler makes his character so pathetic and painfully hard to watch that you still can't stop feeling sorry for him and hoping this will all work out for the better in the end. "Please convince us you actually know what you are doing".

Haven't seen Moonrise Kingdom. But considering the good vibes I got from watching The Fantastic Mr. Fox last year, I'm down for some more Wes Anderson.

I guess I'm gonna be that one who admits not liking Uncut Gems. The Safdies do a good job getting us involved in the sweaty atmosphere of a lower-middle class New York. And the film does fine with some moments of tension such as the underling/girlfriend (Julia Fox) of Howard's jeweler staying one step ahead of the loan shark's minion due to a temporary alliance with a gambler (Wayne Diamond) who's interested in her.

But I don't think Adam Sandler was close to the five best performances of that year.

For the most part, he did inhabit Howard and largely avoided the wisecracks that punctuate his comedy film career. But as his wife (Idina Menzel) points out, Howard is an annoying guy. And it made the film that much harder for me to watch. Yes, he does go through some humiliations such as being stuck outside of his kid's play wearing nothing but his underwear and a scene where he gets thrown into a fountain. But it's hard to root for/empathize with a character who seems unaware that his actions are ruining the life of his family and the ones closest to him. I wasn't a fan of Howard's voice either; it reminded me too much of the creaks and croaks of his voice in Little Nicky. Perhaps most tellingly, I feel like he's lost when forced to act with more talented people (Menzel, Judd Hirsch, Eric Bogosian and LaKeith Stanfield) but he can hold his own with those with less credits to their name (Fox, Kevin Garnett, The Weeknd).

Also, make of this what you will, but I was looking for a funny moment here or there to cut some of the tension. But the Safdies refused to oblige and I found the film a bit oppressive at times.

This is how we win? No, I don't think so.

Man, that Uncut Gems poster looks perfect with this layout.

Show off

Not necessarily, because there is probably lots more movies being made now than in the 70s.

And you're also not taking into account that after fifty years, a lot of leg work has already been done in undercovering the great movies of the 70's. In another 40 years a lot more underseen films from the 2010s will have been discovered and become a part of the general discussion about movies.

But, regardless of all of this, my point wasn't that one decade might have more good movies than another anyways. It was that there isn't any remote shortage of them.

If the concerns are there aren't enough quality films to make a decent top hundred list, then the issue is that audiences aren't willing to do enough work to find them. Because they are out there.

Just last night I watched one that deserves to be on this list. 2013's Coherence. A no-budget science fiction thriller that likely would have never been able to be made in the 70's because it was too expensive to make a film back then.

The problem nowadays is not one of availability but of sifting through the mountain of available video to find movies you can enjoy. Algorithms not withstanding.

I also do not trust reviewers anymore. They mostly seem to be shills for the corporations at least back in the day they worked for the newspapers and you could expect some impartiality.

Right now I only trust Takoma.

I agree re: discovery and sifting through the mountain of #content. Curating what to watch requires considerable effort, or at least, it does if you want to do it well, so that most of what you see is really worth seeing (to you).

I'll second Coherence though.

I second this. Very good film. Coincidentally, I was just listening to a podcast where they were talking about it on my way to work.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed with the reveals, but not for the films but because I missed my guesses. Dam you, Speling!