Thief and Yoda on The Movie Loot podcast

Tools    

Listening now - love how you both pronounce the Palme D'Or as 'Palme Dior'.

edit: in case that comes across as criticism I meant it was rather fitting considering the inclusion of Phantom Thread.

Oh, and @Thief, I kept my promise and saw Phantom Thread shortly after we recorded.
Can't wait to read your thoughts!

Can't wait to read your thoughts!
I wish I had time to expound on them properly, because any short summary I give will feel reductive (ditto any rating), but I thought it was...fairly good.

I have a thing with PT's films where I almost always find them incredibly engrossing as they go, but feel they almost never really stick the landing. I'd slot this into that category, which to be fair is most of his filmography at this point.

I enjoyed it, and it made me really interested in what was going to happen in a film that didn't revolve around a mystery or single premise, which is pretty much an automatic

It's dense and complicated, but I'm never sure if all the ambiguity is a feature or a bug, and whether defying summary or resisting a clear message makes it highly sophisticated or just kind of unfocused.

Glad I watched it, though.

Cool stuff I must have missed this. Looking forward to listening. Thanks!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Thanks to everybody for listening! The episode has been doing really well and I know the MoFo push has had a lot to do with that. Hope you all keep listening to other episodes.

A system of cells interlinked
Thanks to everybody for listening! The episode has been doing really well and I know the MoFo push has had a lot to do with that. Hope you all keep listening to other episodes.
I try to catch them whenever I can! Love the show!

Also: Started Whiplash at lunch. I hate to have to watch it in pieces, but...you know, more jazz!

I try to catch them whenever I can! Love the show!

Also: Started Whiplash at lunch. I hate to have to watch it in pieces, but...you know, more jazz!
Thanks! Hope you enjoy Whiplash.

I just noticed that LA LA Land cracked @Holden Pike's Top 10 of all time, which I thought had calcified forever with the films he had listed. I don't recall that list changing much over his entire tenure on MoFo. Has to be one hell of a film to break into that legendary echelon!

I presume that makes it an easy #1 on his decade list, but only time will tell.

I'm already thinking about watching it again, and I still have a bit of the music bouncing around my skull days later...

I just noticed that LA LA Land cracked @Holden Pike's Top 10 of all time, which I thought had calcified forever with the films he had listed. I don't recall that list changing much over his entire tenure on MoFo. Has to be one hell of a film to break into that legendary echelon!
I hadn't noticed. That is a pretty big deal. It's either not changed or barely changed in the 20+ years he's been here.

Actually, this reminds me, awhile back (maybe 7-8 years?) I changed the favorites system so it saved old favorites lists rather than just replacing them with the new ones every time, so that theoretically I could write something to display the changes over time for everyone. I haven't bothered to do that part, the display part (IE: the hard part) yet. I think I did a really ugly, bad-usability version of it and then stopped, but this makes me wonder if I should take another crack at it now, particularly now that we've got more data to work with.

Anyway, nice catch. And yeah, I need to rewatch it, too.

I think that tracker would find that everything but my top 2 has changed...errr wait...I might have had Mulholland Drive in the #2 for a while at one point, but maybe it was 3. Anyway, Pretty sure Blade Runner has always been #1!

As for the feature - it depends on the priority list you have for upcoming changes, and how this ranks in importance, I guess.

An entertaining listen, guys. And nice acting skills from Mr Thief.

The topic of forums (fora?) persevering in the twitter era is an interesting one and could probably occupy an entire episode.

An entertaining listen, guys. And nice acting skills from Mr Thief.
Oh yeah, he really sold it. He was so good on that one prompt I knew it from the first line alone, completely down to his emphasis and inflection matching so well.

The topic of forums (fora?) persevering in the twitter era is an interesting one and could probably occupy an entire episode.
I was on a community-oriented podcast like seven or eight years ago and we talked about that a fair bit. I think I've written on here about it a bit, too. It's an interesting topic.

I was on a community-oriented podcast like seven or eight years ago and we talked about that a fair bit. I think I've written on here about it a bit, too. It's an interesting topic.
That was just after the redesign, yes? I remember listening to that at the time.