Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

Its existence?

Nearly the entire thing was not to my liking. What was awful was the cumulative effect of how unsatisfying I found it. It's not about a specific scene.It's about its overall and aggravating nothingness to me.

Could I go and put it on again and find a moment to try and articulate what I specifically don't like. I guess. But its not the kind of thing that would be particularly well explained through this format. I'd be pointing at a look, or a edit that came one moment too quick or one moment too slow, or a line that was just read in a way where I could see the script in their eyes. It's the equivalent of asking me to explain how I knew someone was lying to me by finding the specific thing they said that was untrue. But all I can do is point to the person and not understand why you aren't seeing how the way they are fidgeting with something in their hand or how they won't look me in the eye or how there was an intonation in their voice says more than I could ever do about the things they were saying.

My relationship to art is about instinct. Even though I from time to time can break somethings down into specifics of what works or what doesn't, some films don't fill me with the urge to do this. My instinctual dislike of them is enough. Some movies I hate like this may be technically accomplished. They may be playing at saying larger things about culture. But unless these are incoporated in a way that make me want to dig deeper or think longer, I find it pretty dull to raise these elements to the forefront of the discussion. Because the aren't terribly important to me. To me they are at best the skeleton or the eisel that holds up the emotions and the actual art. More often than not, I like things I can't put my finger on. And I dislike things I don't have any interest in touching.
Was it better or worse than Baby Driver?

Was it better or worse than Baby Driver?
Well, I think we automatically know what his answer to that question on anything is gonna be by this point...

For easy reference, here is a quick study of the crumbsroom hate index:

The Conjuring > Knives Out 2 > Halloween Kills > ****ing Babydriver
I’m kinda shocked Wan comes out top dog.

While I don't understand hating Baby Driver, I was totally flummoxed by the love when I watched it. I concluded it must just be a vibe thing, because I kept waiting for something cool or creative or new that just never happened. I don't usually think to myself "that's it?" but that's exactly the phrase that came to mind.

Re: instinct and art.

I have three really broad observations, and I expect this is one of those things where everybody will probably agree they all matter, even if they generally decide one of them is more important than the others.

1. It would be weird and bad to subsume our instinctual reaction to art to some over-intellectualized process. Our gut reactions to things are part of experiencing art and aren't invalid just because we can't always explain them.

2. Sometimes gut reactions are kinda crap and interrogating them changes them. Sometimes you just had indigestion while watching something. Related: I would be wary of someone whose opinions on art were always just their gut reaction and were never explored or questioned beyond that.

3. Sometimes, interrogating our gut reactions leads to genuine insight about where they come from. This is the "your subconscious figures things out before your conscious does" thing.

I think all three of these things are true at least occasionally and the line between them can be pretty hard to spot initially.

I do wanna specifically highlight what crumbs is trying to say, though, where nothing quite works. While it's incredibly hard to describe, I think I know what he's talking about, and it is maddening. It's harder to watch than something genuinely bad. I'm not sure how fair that is, since by definition it means the thing is at least fairly good, but my best explanation is that it has to do not with quality in a vacuum, but with the gap between implication and reality.

A joke lands differently if you deadpan it than it does if your eyebrows go up and you look at someone expectantly after the punchline. Knives Out had some moments that I could tell were supposed to be thought of as incredibly witty, and when a film signals this kind of thing to you it's very important that it sticks the landing.

I mentioned something similar about Loki, and a lot of the lesser/more recent MCU efforts: how they had the cadence of a great line, the pause for reaction, even though the lines would be just kinda...average. Like they knew something clever or funny had to go here, and even if they don't think of something good enough they just have to barrel ahead anyway, because That's Where The Clever Thing Goes. And sometimes (this is gonna sound really condescending to no one in particular) having the cadence of Clever Thing Here is enough to sorta-kinda "fool" less discerning viewers into reacting as if it were better.

Basically, it's the cinematic equivalent of a laugh track.

I’m kinda shocked Wan comes out top dog.

I've never said I hate The Conjuring.

Of course you can't count all the times I said I hated it.

But it's not the worst thing ever. I just hate it.

Victim of The Night
While I don't understand hating Baby Driver, I was totally flummoxed by the love when I watched it. I concluded it must just be a vibe thing, because I kept waiting for something cool or creative or new that just never happened. I don't usually think to myself "that's it?" but that's exactly the phrase that came to mind.
I have friends (movie people) who would put Baby Driver at or very near the top of any list of the 2010s and were furious that I didn't include it on mine. Like we had to talk about it the other night they were so incredulous it didn't make my Top 25.
I actually did like it a fair bit when we saw it (not as much as them) but it's actually all the hate that it's gotten around here that his driven my opinion of it down, actually, over the last couple years. At some point I need to revisit it and figure out what I think. But I don't do re-watches very often anymore.

Victim of The Night
I mentioned something similar about Loki, and a lot of the lesser/more recent MCU efforts: how they had the cadence of a great line, the pause for reaction, even though the lines would be just kinda...average. Like they knew something clever or funny had to go here, and even if they don't think of something good enough they just have to barrel ahead anyway, because That's Where The Clever Thing Goes. And sometimes (this is gonna sound really condescending to no one in particular) having the cadence of Clever Thing Here is enough to sorta-kinda "fool" less discerning viewers into reacting as if it were better.

Basically, it's the cinematic equivalent of a laugh track.
This really is true about Loki. It was painful to me how much Good went into that project only to have Meh come out. Sophia DiMartino did not come to f*ck spiders but unfortunately all the writers gave her was spiders and lube.

I've never said I hate The Conjuring.

Of course you can't count all the times I said I hated it.

But it's not the worst thing ever. I just hate it.
Is it because Malignant softened the stony earth around your heart by throwing a chair at it?