Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

My nomination:

The Endless

Actually, Torgo will be nominating the film for this round, which was why I highlighted his name in my post.

Move along, nothing to see here
Watched this one early last year, wasn't much of a fan tbh so I won't be rewatching it. Sorry.

Here's the trailer. You can rent it at the usual places (Amazon, iTunes, Vudu, Microsoft, YouTube, etc.) I hope you enjoy it!

A system of cells interlinked
Whoops!

OK, I wanted to change my nom anyway, so this works out!

We'll have time for one more nomination after this one. If you happen to be selected next though, make sure to get your nomination in as soon as you can. Since the deadline to submit your ballots is December 12th, I won't be able to extend the deadline past that day.

We'll have time for one more nomination after this one. If you happen to be selected next though, make sure to get your nomination in as soon as you can. Since the deadline to submit your ballots is December 12th, I won't be able to extend the deadline past that day.

But you can.

On-Gaku: Our Sound -
CONTAINS SPOILERS

I was inspired to see this odd little movie after watching the hilarious "recorder fight" (or non-fight) scene on Twitter. Thankfully, that's not all it has to offer. I like how it sort of plays out like an S.E. Hinton book if the greasers discovered something that gave their lives meaning. Kenji, for instance, reminds me of the Motorcycle Boy in Rumble Fish, a young man who has no more worlds to conquer and who cares so little about his next rumble that he stops looking for its location when he gets lost. I also appreciate how his idea of starting a band is borne from believing it will give him instant respect, but he ends up with much more and it only took playing one note with his friends to discover this. While it celebrates the power of music, I believe it can be about anything that makes one transition from adrift and purposeless to having an all-consuming passion, and as their lack of skills indicates, it's not necessary to be a Mozart or a Rembrandt for this transition to happen. Oh, and the movie is of course pretty darn funny and there's nothing else quite like it visually - especially during Morita's flights of fancy - which is even more impressive when you consider that it's all hand-drawn. It's rough around the edges, especially when those long, Napoleon Dynamite-like pauses go from deadpan comedy to wondering if your TV is frozen, but since the whole thing is so adorable, weird, silly and personal, it didn’t bother me that much.

My Top 25 has been submitted
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Just finished On-Gaku: Our Sound, and I thought it was good. The film is at its best when it explores the boredom and general disinterest of the main characters and showing the ways they attempt to find value in their dull lives, such as making empty threats about fighting people, or being amateur musicians. One gets the impression they choose to start the band on a whim, rather than having any strong passion for music. It's just something to pass the time and fill up their days for a bit. Also, a few scenes, such as Morita hearing Kenji's music for the first time, look rather visually impressive (even though I was baffled that Morita loved their music as much as she did). For the most part though, you can definitely feel the low budget since most of the visuals look rather dull and lifeless. Part of this can be explained since one could argue the dull visuals are at the heart of the characters' dull lives, but another part of me found a couple of the visuals (the awkward pauses, for instance) unpolished and ham-handed in their attempts to represent Kenji's emotional state. Still though, I thought this was pretty good and, roughness aside, it remains an interesting film. It won't make my ballot though.

Since I'm the only one who posted my thoughts in this thread (aside from Torgo, ofc), should I just pick the last film, or should we make On-Gaku: Our Sound the last film we watch for this thread? It looks like some of the main contributors of this thread have already submitted their ballots. If anyone else posts their thoughts in here, I'll allow them to close out this thread for us with a final nomination (as stated above though, the deadline for that film won't be able to go past December 12th). If not, then that will be it for this thread.

Either way, this was a fun thread to host and I'm glad it remained popular throughout the preliminary thread. I hope it catches on for future countdowns. Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread

Since I'm the only one who posted my thoughts in this thread (aside from Torgo, ofc), should I just pick the last film, or should we make On-Gaku: Our Sound the last film we watch for this thread? It looks like some of the main contributors of this thread have already submitted their ballots. If anyone else posts their thoughts in here, I'll allow them to close out this thread for us with a final nomination (as stated above though, the deadline for that film won't be able to go past December 12th). If not, then that will be it for this thread.

Either way, this was a fun thread to host and I'm glad it remained popular throughout the preliminary thread. I hope it catches on for future countdowns. Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread
You should pick one more film, just for fun.

@SpelingError

Your idea for this Group Watch is definitely a highlight event. The format you chose is perfect for getting people involved with no need for commitments. The method that you used to chose the next presenter for the next movie...and the 3 day time frame to watch, was all perfect.

Nicely Done!

I suppose I'll finish this thread off. Since some of you might be busy with watching films/finishing up your ballots, I'll pick a short film:

Nomination #29

A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness (2015, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy)

Deadline to Watch It: December 12

Nominated By: SpelingError