Favorite French New Wave Movies?

Tools    

So I have been kind of hooked into this scene for months, but feel like I am just beginning with it. I have seen at least one movie from each of the Cahiers du cinéma directors with the exception of Claude Charbol. The only Left Bank directors I have seen a movie of were the couple(Demy and Varda). I have yet to see ones like Band a Parte, Le Boucher, and also Paris Belongs to Us(I tried to watch it one day but got bored and gave up after an hour).

Let me list the current movies I have seen by director and their ratings:
Godard(RIP): Breathless
, Contempt
, A Woman Is A Woman
, Alphaville
, Weekend

Rohmer: Claires Knee
, My Night At Mauds

Truffaut: 400 Blows
bordering on
, Jules & Jim
, Stolen Kisses

Rivette: Celine and Julie Go Boating
, Duelle
, La Belle Noiseuse
, Paris Belongs To Us
, OUT1.
Varda: Cleo From 5 To 7
and One Sings the Other Doesn't

Demy: Umbrellas of Cherbourg
bordering on
and Young Girls of Rochefort
, Lola
, Bay of Angels

Louis Malle: Zazie dans le Metro

I feel like I have seen most of the essential ones by now, and feel interested in checking out more. The top 3 for now are:
1. Rivette - He blew me away with two movies that nobody has ever made before and since him. I love a critic(Johnathan Rosenbaum and Adrian Martin) who actually acknowledge this guy and his films. He is not for everybody as I am pretty sure some of those long scenes(ex. the reenactment scenes in Out 1) in those films could make somebody go to sleep.
2. Truffaut - He was more consistently good. The 400 Blows I loved for its more conventional plot when compared to most FNW movies as well as having a different type of protagonist. Jules and Jim had that love triangle plot as well as the shocking ending with the car driving over the bridge. Stolen Kisses was just a fun and innocent movie featuring the same protagonist from 400.
3. Godard - He was more consistently good. I feel bored watching him and amused at the same time as well. Even without subtitles, I could feel the pressure of Contempt through the usage of that one theme as well as the idea that this once happy couple's relationship has fallen apart throughout the production of the movie. Breathless I thought was pointless until I saw A Woman Is A Woman in which I finally recognized both of them for being very groovy as well as stylistic. He is the only director in which I saw 4 of their movies from start to finish. Hopefully I can do that with Rivette, Fassbinder, and Fellini.

What are your favorite movies of this movement?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Me: Scared I will confuse a Left Bank director with a French New Wave one
@xSookieStackhouse: Openly claiming the Taxi series to be French New Wave
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

i dont know what a french new wave is? thought he talking bout favorite french movies?

i dont know what a french new wave is?
I think the RYM description is quite good.

The French New Wave was an informal and influential film movement that emerged in the 1950s and continued up until the late 1960s. It was most prominently pioneered and spearheaded by a handful of critics associated with Cahiers du cinéma, a famous French film magazine, including Jean-Luc Godard, François Truffaut, Éric Rohmer, Claude Chabrol, and Jacques Rivette. These young French directors of the late 1950s and 1960s created self-conscious films that took influence from the Italian Neorealism movement and classical Hollywood cinema, such as Film noir, albeit with strong rejection of the acceptable film techniques and norms dominant in French cinema at that time.

In addition to that, French New Wave directors often re-sculpted and re-contextualized genres and experimented with visual, narrative, and editing techniques, such as unconventional camera angles, long-lasting shots of trivial events, improvised dialogues and open endings. Their films are often viewed as exercises and extensions of the auteur theory, which described film directors who were in great creative control over their craft, embracing recognizable, thematic immersions and individual styles, rather than the commercialized, industrialized studio-system production that was commonly found in Hollywood during that era.

The French New Wave was heavily inspired by French directors of the likes of Jean Renoir and Jean Vigo and their movement of Poetic Realism, as well as Hollywood studio directors they viewed as artistically distinct and committed, like Orson Welles, John Ford, Alfred Hitchcock and Nicholas Ray. Existential themes, such as the struggle of the individual or the acceptance of the absurdity of human existence, were also prevalent. The movement is generally regarded to have ended around the late 1960s, but many of the directors associated with it continued to make films decades after its decay.

The French New Wave had a great influence on cinema, and ultimately contributed much or led to the emergence of many other film movements all across the world, including the British New Wave, the American New Hollywood, the Portuguese Novo Cinema, the New German Cinema and the Israeli New Sensitivity.

The trick is not minding
Wasn’t the Left Bank a part of the New Wave? Just a distinct group as I recall? Different themes maybe, but still a part of it, correct?

I’m still churning through the rather massive amount of films associated with it. Of what I’ve seen, I’ve enjoyed the few Godard films, and the Truffaut films, although I prefer Godard so far.

Have not seen anything from Chabrol yet, or earlier (pre 1970’s) Rohmer yet.
*sigh*
Still so much to watch.

Wasn’t the Left Bank a part of the New Wave? Just a distinct group as I recall? Different themes maybe, but still a part of it, correct?
Dunno. Pretty much like most new waves in the history of cinema, the French New Wave is quite a forced concept. While there were some common ideas, the films of Godard, Rohmer, Truffaut, Chabrol, and Rivette are all disparate. At least it's not as forced as the Japanese New Wave. Oh well.

Godard: Alphaville, Masculine/Feminine, Hail Mary, Contempt, Weekend, Pierrot le Fou, 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her, Made in America, A Married Woman, Every Man For Himself, A Woman Is A Woman, My Life to Live, Band of Outsider's

Truffaut: 400 Blows, Jules et Jim, Story of Adele H, Shoot the Piano Player, The Soft Skin, The Bride Wore Black, The Green Room

Eric Rohmer: Claire's Knew, Pauline at the Beach, A Summers Tale, My Night at Mauds, La Collectioneuse, Chloe in the Afternoon, Boyfriends and Girlfriends

Claude Chabrol: This Man Must Die, La Boucher, La Ceremonies, Les Biches, La Bonnes Femmes, Les Cousins, The Unfaithful Wife, La Beau Serge's, La Double Tours

Alain Resnais Night and Fog, Last Year at Marienbad,

AGNES Varda: Les Creatures, Gleaners and I, Vagabond

My two absolute faves would be La Collectioneuse & Breathless.

I saw two more Jacques Demy movies. I found Lola to be a rather disappointing affair especially since it preceded those two French New Wave classics. Bay of Angels I expected to be disappointed by, but instead I had such a fun time watching this one. Its always fun with Jacques Demy it looks like, even when he is not directing a musical.