Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bad Boys

Overall, one of the few Michael Bay films that 1) make sense and 2) that are good...even though they include explosions.

Having heard it was the first action movie where two black people were the stars and being the first action movie where Will Smith stars, I decided to give it a try. I had seen a little of it before, but a long time ago, so I kinda knew what to expect.

In fact, the movie itself is really good with good stunts and good acting also. The comedic moments were very good and the chemistry between Martin and Will is very good. I liked almost every second of the action-packed scenes...except for the use of slo-mo in a lot of unnecessary moments.

Talking about flaws, the movie has some of them with some chronological errors or plot-holes in some scenes. Even though the mistakes are present, the scenes that follow tend to make you forget/forgive them only to carry-on with the movie.

A very satisfying Bay movie, I give Bad Boys a

I have to return some videotapes.
Before going on, these are movies I started but didn't finish because of either, their stupid content, their bad CGI, their lack of humor or just for being plain BAD!

Spy

The Expendables 3

And also not including the next one since I didn't finish it because I didn't find a good player with subtitles for the sign language scenes.
Shouldn't they be
if you couldn't even finish it? Either way a 1.5 is around where Expendables 3 should be lol

There is no way in hell I would watch either of them... for one.. Spy is a comedy.. a stupid american comedy.. I wonder how many fat jokes are in that film?... and The Expendables.... well they are old so they are expendable.. and their acting has been overdone Im sure...

The Hateful Eight

Overall,...phew

Being quite big Tarantino fan, I was expecting this movie with a lot of impatience. I had the privilege to watch it today and, it is AWESOME.

The movie kinda spends the first hour and a half in introducing the characters. Although an hour and a half can sound a lot to you, Tarantino plays it well by inserting brilliant dialogue with incredible performances to support it. After that first hour and a half, the tension and action start coming in...hard. I have to say that this, for me, is Tarantino's bloodiest film yet. Although there was a lot of blood in Kill Bill, this one is waaaaay more exaggerated and more detailed, for example:
WARNING: "The H8teful " spoilers below
When Channing Tatum's head gets blown out, we can spot little brains in the Jennifer's hair

This is an almost-flawless movie, the only flaw being the running time. The landscapes are beautiful and the cinematography is amazing. However, I can see why it wasn't nominated for an Oscar: too bloody.

I wouldn't say that this is Tarantino's masterpiece but sure as hell I wouldn't call it his worst. I would definitely call it one of Tarantino's finest movies. I give The Hateful Eight a

The Revenant

Overall, a very beautiful film with top performances from Hardy and Dicaprio...as always.

This is truly a masterpiece of filmmaking and of cinematography. The idea of only using natural light for the filming was absolutely perfect, since it adds up to the realism of the film. I have to admit one thing though: the bear-attacking scene was awesome! I didn't even notice or couldn't even tell it was CGI! Also the scene where he jumps off a cliff was amazing! I read it was made for real but I don't know if it's true.

This is truly a flawless movie. The performances along with the ambient, the suspense and the visuals is a combination of euphoric elements. This is truly a breathtaking movie that every cinephile or movie fanatic should watch. I swear if DiCaprio doesn't win an Oscar this time, I will...do...something bad...I guess...

Anyway, I have to admit that if it beats Mad Max in certain categories for the Oscars, I won't be mad since both of them equally deserve them. I give The Revenant a

Welcome to the human race...
Dang, Rocket_Sam, how are you not going to finish Spy because it's got bad humour and then give Bad Boys a
? I mean, dang.

Anyway...

Black Rain -

Another day, another middle-of-the-road Ridley Scott movie. At least this is one of the better ones.

The Hateful Eight - 2015

Tarantino coming through with his 8th movie so you know I would want to see it eventually. Whatever your opinions on Tarantino are you have to respect that he writes and directs his own movies and man can he write some dialogue. This is chalk full of vibrant characters and great dialogue per usual QT flick. You can just tell actors really enjoy being in a Tarantino flick because it challenges them. No different here everyone brings their A game acting wise. There wasn't necessarily a stand out to me everyone was great, maybe Samuel L and Jennifer Jason Leigh. If you enjoy Tarantino flicks you will enjoy this one. (Side note if you told me Channing Tatum would be working with the Cohen Brothers and Tarantino in back to back movies 5 years ago I would have laughed you off these forums. He was great in his little screen time)

However it fell short compared to his recent outings, at least to me. Not that it's a bad movie by any stretch just a little bit flatter than his recent movies. His staple is violence, everyone knows that going into his movies and he doesn't hide that fact. However I believe, for whatever reason I can't put my finger on, it would have better served this story to ease up on it. I was very invested into these characters and then the last third of the movie is just an absolute hyperbole of a blood bath. Sort of drew me out of the movie. The intimacy of the cabin and the setting he created sort of gets sucked out. It's appropriate for Kill Bill but not to that extend for this. Don't know just my opinion. But still a stellar outing by Tarantino even if it's not on par of his last few movies.

2.9 out of 5 (probably go up on repeat viewing, little hard on it because Tarantino sets such a high bar)

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

The Sting - 1973

Found it on blu ray at I believe Best Buy for like 7 bucks. Older flicks are never really my thing because, at least to me, it's hard for me to get into repeat viewings. That's my standard for my favorite movies, can I watch it over and over again without getting tired of it. Anyways I try to at least watch all the important older films at least once because I can appreciate what they have done for the movies of today. This movie seems to have set the standard for what con movies should be like. Newman and Redford were awesome (it's uncanny how much RR looked like Brad Pitt when he was young, like scary). The Irish mob guy they were conning sort of annoyed me but he served his purpose. The screenplay was great, there were a couple twists and turns I didn't expect at all and the story was structured pretty well. Having been to Chicago once they did a pretty good job of making Chicago a character in the movie. The L trains definitely make you feel Chicago.

I really did enjoy the flick even if I did have a few problems with it. The cons are so elaborate and involve so many people, I just don't see how you keep it a secret and how you pay all those people. And again the performances aren't as nuanced as today's actors at least in my opinion so that takes me out a bit. Still they did a great job, especially Newman, I can tell why he was such a big star. Anyways the plot with its unexpected turns is the really winner here. I could actually see myself watching this again sometime in the future.

3.3 out of 5

The Purge (2013)

Man these movies have such a cool concept. Many like the second one better than the first one but they are kind of even for me. I'm about to watch the second one again. The reason I see them as very even movies is both have different pros and cons. For one the first movie has MUCH better lead actors in Hawke and Headey, so the acting is much better, but then on the other hand Anarchy (Purge 2) takes you out into the Purge itself, which is what many hungered for after seeing the first one, which doesn't deliver on that promise. Also the story in the second Purge is surprisingly stronger than the first one. I'll give a better review once I rewatch it again, it has been a while since I've seen it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Inside Llewyn Davis (2014)

This reminded me of A Serious Man in that it's more clever than it is enjoyable. If you like folk music you might like it more than if you don't.

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

I watched this with my husband who does not like fight scenes or car chases. This movie is basically one long car chase fight scene. And yet he liked it and said he thought it was very well done. This tells you pretty much everything you need to know about this film and how it ended up getting nominated for a ton of oscars.

I enjoyed it quite a lot, although maybe not quite as much as I was hoping to after all the hype. I really liked Charlize Theron's character. Tom Hardy's Max doesn't do a lot except look wild eyed and hang upside down a lot and sometimes take over the driving and shooting for Charlize Theron. You could drive a rig through the plot holes, but it really, really isn't about plot.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Galaxy Quest

I loved this film when I first saw it in theatres and it still holds up well today. It doesn't make fun of Star Trek fans, it embraces them and that is the one key to the success of this film. Of course I watched it after the news of Alan Rickman, I decided on this one because he's great in it. Everyone talks about Die Hard, Harry Potter or Robin Hood, but very rarely do you here the praise for Galaxy Quest, despite it being well liked.

Suspect's Reviews

There is no way in hell I would watch either of them... for one.. Spy is a comedy.. a stupid american comedy.. I wonder how many fat jokes are in that film?
none.

Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015)

Very boring I thought for most of it, so simple. I guess I can see the appeal though, and certain aspects are impressively done.

THE REVENANT
(Directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu, 2015)

Riveting movie that is based on a true story about the American frontiersman Hugh Glass, played brilliantly by DiCaprio, who was mauled by a bear and left for dead by one of his crew members, the despicable John Fitzgerald, played remarkably by Tom Hardy, who also kills his son in front of his own eyes. Glass makes the long trip back to his camp through snow blizzards, attacks from Natives, and other challenging situations to seek revenge against Fitzgerald.

The movie is by far my top favorite film of 2015.

JOY
(Directed by David O'Russell, 2015)

It seems like the collaborations between director O'Russell, actress Jennifer Lawrence, and actors Bradley Cooper and Robert Deniro are not about to slow down anytime soon.

Joy is yet another entertaining and quite inspiring film that is based on the true story of Joy Mangano, the lady who, in the early 90's, invented the Miracle Mop and turned into an overnight sensation after she personally advertised the product on the newly established Home Shopping Network. Cooper plays an executive at the network who gives Joy a shot at promoting her invention herself live on television, and Deniro, in another hilarious turn, plays her father Rudy.

The movie starts off great, but loses momentum in the last third of the movie. Still, an entertaining enough movie to warrant at least one viewing.