Movie Tab II

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Saving Mr. Banks - Emma Thompson plays PL Travers, a British children's author, and Tom Hanks plays Walt Disney in this true-ish account of the making of the classic film Mary Poppins. Travers is a spiky sort of woman who makes things impossible for Disney, trying to protect the integrity of her book, and sabotage the project by disapproving of everything the writers (Bradley Whitford, BJ Novak and Jason Shwartzman) come up with. Thompson is great in the role, and Tom Hanks is fun as the exasperated Disney. The two couldn't be more different, and their clash of personalities make the film fun to watch. It's kind of corny, but then that's Disney to a tee. (Fun fact, the film doesn't portray this, but Travers actually loathed the film version of Mary Poppins because she felt it was too whimsical, and wouldn't allow Disney to produce a sequel.)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

I Was a Teenage Zombie (John Elias Michalakis, 1987)
+
Heaven’s Burning (Greg Lahiff, 1997)

Alias Ruby Blade (Alex Meillier, 2012)
-
The Gold Rush (Charles Chaplin, 1925)
+

Mack Swain is so hungry that he thinks Charlie Chaplin is a chicken.
The Holy Man (Satyajit Ray, 1965)
-
Escape from Alcatraz (Don Siegel, 1979)

Somewhat Secret (Sammy Lee, 1939)

The Loved One (Tony Richardson, 1965)
+

Robert Morse eulogizing his uncle John Gielgud - ”They told me, Francis Hinsley,
they told me you were hung. With red protruding eyeballs and black protruding tongue.”

Staying Alive (Sylvester Stallone, 1983)

The Grandmaster (Kar Wei Wong, 2013)
+ (rewatch)
Watchtower aka Cruel and Unusual (George Mihalka, 2002)
+
The Avengers (Joss Whedon, 2012)

Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr, Cnris Evans & Scarlett Johansson,
along with some others, have to team up to either save or avenge the Earth.

Louie Bluie (Terry Zwigoff, 1985)

Rabindranath Tagore (Satyajit Ray, 1961)
-
Zardoz (John Boorman, 1973)

Poto and Cabengo (Jean-Pierre Gorin, 1980)
-

What language do twins Grace and Virginia (Poto and Cabengo) speak?
Loverboy (Joan Micklin Silver, 1989)

Girl Most Likely (Shari Springer Berman & Robert Pulcini, 2012)

The Fighting Marshal (D. Ross Lederman, 1931)
+ (surprisingly good cinematography)
General Idi Amin Dada (Barbet Schroeder, 1974)

The dictator discusses his agenda and explains his many good traits to the camera directly.
Sure, he’s an outlandish liar and murderer, but he’s really a great guy.

This week in movies:

35 Shots of Rum (2008) by Claire Denis

Hadewijch (2009) by Bruno Dumont
+

Before Sunrise (1995) by Richard Linklater

Twentynine Palms (2003) by Bruno Dumont

L'humanité (1999) by Bruno Dumont

Diva (1981) by Jean-Jacques Beineix

Contempt (1963) by Jean-Luc Godard

Before Sunset (2004) by Richard Linklater
+

Blisfully Yours (2002) by Apichatpong Weerasethakul
+

Cold Water (1994) by Olivier Assayas

L'atalante (1934) by Jean Vigo

Vivre Sa Vie (1962) by Jean-Luc Godard
+

Gertrud (1964) by Carl Theodor Dreyer
+

Before Midnight (2013) by Richard Linklater
+

A Woman is a Woman (1961) by Jean-Luc Godard
+

Solaris (1972) by Andrei Tarkovsky

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005) by Cristi Puiu
+

Flowers of Shanghai (1998) by Hou Hsiao-hsien
+

Sátántangó (1994) by Béla Tarr

This week have been one of the hottest streaks i have had as a movie watcher. I can't remember when i last saw so many good movies. It is intoxicating and it really reminds you of how magical movie watching can be. The only downside was Diva by Jean-Jacques Beineix, which was recommended to me as a cult film. It just showed that foreign films can be just as bad as your average Hollywood turd.

It has been a real pleasure to complete Bruno Dumonts filmography. He is in my opinion the King of French film today. I have tried to rank his movies below but it has been since i love them all and they grow on you. In reality i have to rewatch them to give them a proper ranking.

As i have said before it is intoxicating to watch Godard's sixties movies. They are so vibrant and fresh and the way he toys with the film medium makes me all giggly inside. I think that everybody should at least watch one or two of his movies from that period. If they don't like the subject matter people should at least be appreciative of his style or his impact on the story of film.

Watching the Before Trilogy has also been a pleasure. Before Midnight is definitely in my top 3 of movies from 2013. As always it has been great watching Dreyer, Tarkovsky, Hou Hsiao-hsien and Bela Tarr. Sátántangó from 1994 is a stone cold masterpiece. It is in my opinion one of the biggest pieces of art that contemplative cinema has to offer. Its at least top 20 material of all time and its my second favorite of the nineties.

Bruno Dumont ranked from top -> bottom:

1. Twentynine Palms (2003)
2. Camille Claudel 1915 (2013)
3. La Vie de Jésus (1997)
4. Hadewijch (2009)
5. L'humanité (1999)
6. Outside Satan (2011)
7. Flanders (2006)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Your rating of Satantango rejoices my nihilist soul.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Lone Wolf & Cub: Sword of Vengeance (1972) - Kenji Misumi

Lone Wolf & Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx (1972) - Kenji Misumi
-

Lone Wolf & Cub: Baby Cart to Hades (1972) - Kenji Misumi

Lone Wolf & Cub: Baby Cart in Peril (1972) - Buichi Saito

Lone Wolf & Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (1973) - Kenji Misumi
+

Lone Wolf & Cub: White Heaven in Hell (1974) - Yoshiyuki Kuroda

A very enjoyable series with lots of action, spraying blood and ... well ... boobs. Movies are all similar in quality except the last which wasn't as good. It just took the idea a step to far and got silly - or should I say sillier.

George Washington (2000) - David Gordon Green
I really enjoy small town American indie movies. They so often tell interesting stories about interesting people. A fascinating movie.

Spider-Man (2002) - Sam Raimi
Bad acting, bad script, bad special effects ... but not completely devoid of entertainment.

Bela Tarr, Abbas Kiarostami and Hou Hsiao-Hsien own the 90s.
Couldn't agree more, though Abbas Kiarostami wins it for me

My top 5 of the 90's would look something like this:

1. Close-Up (1990) by Abbas Kiarostami
2. Sátántangó (1994) by Béla Tarr
3. The Puppetmaster (1993) by Hou Hsiao-Hsien
4. Through the Olive Trees (1994) by Abbas Kiarostami
5. The Thin Red Line (1998) by Terrence Malick

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Couldn't agree more, though Abbas Kiarostami wins it for me

My top 5 of the 90's would look something like this:

1. Close-Up (1990) by Abbas Kiarostami
2. Sátántangó (1994) by Béla Tarr
3. The Puppetmaster (1993) by Hou Hsiao-Hsien
4. Through the Olive Trees (1994) by Abbas Kiarostami
5. The Thin Red Line (1998) by Terrence Malick
Yeah, I think Hou's 80s output is better than his 90s, but Kiarostami is at his absolute peak. Close-Up, And Life Goes On..., Through the Olive Trees, and The Wind Will Carry Us are all masterpiece material.

What is it exactly you're supposed to do in this thread? List the movies you saw last and rate them?
Plenty of people review/discuss the movies too

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Mark, what do you think of the artist Louie Bluie?
Well, as far as his drawings, I was amazed that they strongly resembled those of R. Crumb, the subject of another Zwigoff documentary. Apparently Crumb did the poster and DVD cover of Louie Bluie, but there's no way he did those of Howard Armstrong (Louie Bluie), did he? As far as his music, he was very accomplished and one cool dude. I wish my family still had all the old photos that he had after all those years.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Glad to see you enjoyed The Avengers Mark, although you missed at least one popcorn bucket from your rating. : Was that the first time you had seen it?

Was also pleased to see you rather enjoyed Robot and Frank which I thought was rather delightful

The Avengers (Joss Whedon, 2012)

Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr, Cnris Evans & Scarlett Johansson,
along with some others, have to team up to either save or avenge the Earth.

Zardoz (John Boorman, 1973)

+ rep for both these scores!

Great weekend of movie watching. Caught up on a lot of movies I missed last year, a couple of re-watches, and two more from the HOF. I also watched House Of Cards Season 2 over the past couple of weeks. That show took a huge drop off. May not watch next year.

Moonrise Kingdom: Rewatch
I love Wes Anderson and Moonrise is everything I love about him.

Sex, Lies, And Videotape:
This movie was really well done but I just did not connect to the themes. HOF watch.

Pain And Gain:
The more I think about this film the funnier it is. I don't love it but it is well done.

Fruitvale Station:
Some poignant moments but some overly melodramatic sentimental moments as well. Didn't work as well for me as it has for others.

The Swimmer:
Some great moments but too many ridiculous moments as well. A true mixed bag for another HOF nom.

All Is Lost:
Really engaging watch for something with no dialogue and one character. I can't believe anyone is 50/50 on the ending. It seems pretty clear to me.

Mandela:
Well done. Alba is good. Way too broad for the viewer to engage properly.

Princess Mononoke:
I am trying so hard to like Miyazaki. His themes are cool but the characters and dialogue leave way too much to be desired. Also I feel like there is some sort of lore I should be aware of to make everything make sense.

American Hustle: Rewatch
Half a star higher than my first viewing. I love the characters and script of this film. This will be a go to film when I am in the mood to smile.

Angels One Five
- War films are among my least favourite genre, but films about the Battle Of Britain are usually my favourite war films and this is no different. Plus, there's something about British war films of this period which are just so damn, well, British. It works quite well as a drama and, while the aerial scenes aren't anything the write home about, the last five minutes bumped it another half a box for me.

The Spy Who Love Me
- My favourite Bond film by a mile, for me it has the best of just about everything. Best Bond, best Bond girl, best Bond song, best Bond villain, best Bond car (I know, but I've never seen the appeal of the DB5 and the Lotus becomes a submarine for crying out loud!) it even has the best Bond soundtrack, with its disco influence and an underwater hideout for its megalomaniac. All this and such fond memories of watching it as a child make this the best Bond experience for me.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Sean- we both have something in common again with American Hustle!

HK- The Spy Who Loved Me is great bond action. Easily in my top 5 bond. It would be nice to see it on the 70s list.

Talk to Her

Recent Watches:
The King of Comedy (1982, Scorsese)-

Spaceballs (Mel Brooks, 1987) [REWATCH]-

Seven Up! (Paul Almond, 1964)-

7 plus Seven (Apted, 1970)-

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (George Roy Hill, 1969) [REWATCH]-
-
Talk to Her (Almodovar, 2002) -

Bad Education (Almodovar, 2004)-

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (Kramer, 1967) -
+
The Tenant (Polanski, 1976)-
+
Non-Stop (Collet-Serra, 2014)--

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've decided to start watching the British documentary series Up, in which they interview children at seven and return to them in periods of seven years. I'm rating these by individual merits, and not overall cause (which is a noble one). I believe the second in the series- 7 plus seven- has the most interesting age, so I'm not sure if it'll be topped. While it interesting to see the teenagers being interviewed about past answers, and some new rising issues, Seven Up! had an advantage in that it was easier to see the class differences based on the schools. Or perhaps Almond chose to capitalize on this more than Apted. None the less I'm looking forward to see where these men and women end up at 21.

There are two Almodovar films in this set, which I watched pretty close together

Talk to Her, is the most acclaimed Almodovar film. A noticeable flaw is some contradiction in character, a bull fighter who fears a snake is possible but seems bizarre. These kind of moments range throughout but they don't take away from the films most powerful suit, the symbolism. There are many amazing moments, often Almodovar will artificially recreate the emotions of the two main characters (Marco & Benigno) on the coma patients. When Benigno speaks of Marco's crying during the first play he puts eye drops into his patient Alicia, creating artificial tears. This is done on another occasion during the silent film montage, which was a bizarre but great addition right before the climax. Once the tension is revealed the movie grows some deep but sick symbolism and themes. While the tension is not shocking since it was heavily preluded, the way Almodovar handles the situation is. The symbolism grows after this as you can literally see Benigno getting inside Marcos head when he first comes back to visit him. The necrophiliac premise is revolting, but the message Almodovar put across really got inside my head.

Bad Education was a bitter experience for myself, reminding me of another film I hated Mysterious Skin. I actually couldn't finish Bad Education, and not out of disgust but of emotional withdrawal. I found the line between fiction, non-fiction, and reality to be irritating in this instance. I'm sure this has personal meaning to Almodovar as he himself went to a Catholic boarding school, but if you're going to watch a film about sexual abuse in the Catholic church I recommend the documentary Deliver us From Evil.

Almodovar Ranked: (so far)
1. Broken Embraces
2. All About my Mother
3. Talk to Her (above)
4. Bad Education (above)

I really want to watch The Skin I Live In.

Now my most anticipated watch:

Polanski's The Tenant is his final film in the Apartment Trilogy, I still have to watch Repulsion, but Rosemary's Baby is in my top ten. The Tenant also covers paranoia, where Polanski himself plays the paranoiac. After he moves into an apartment where the last tenant killed herself, he gets surrounded by bizarre and often evil tenants. The movie effectively covers how perception changes reality for the paranoid mind, and how the unconscious blames the outside world for the actions of the own man. The ending is predictable, in fact I didn't even have to watch more than ten minutes to understand what will come. Before so there are a few tense instances, and the film can be slightly disturbing. Polanski is no Mia Farrow, and The Tenant is no Rosemary's Baby, but it remains a decent psychological thriller.

Polanski meets the former tenant and a new friend

The first movie I've seen of 2014 is a pretty typical early release, a Liam Neeson action. With a hostage situation on an airplane the movie does build tension well, but fails with a lame twist. I didn't see it coming, but it was just really incoherent and had a clear bias. Add this to some obvious plot holes and the story collapses on itself. It's better than Taken 2, which I also went to theaters to watch, but I suggest just sticking to Snakes on a Plane .