Academy Awards For the Decade

Tools    

Tyler isn't here! Tyler went away! Tyler's gone!
So for now are you looking to compile nominations for each category, and then later you're going to open polls (or accept votes) to figure out which one should win?
Exactly and I will do a pole each week and add categories as time goes on.

If anyone would like to nominate for a new category I will also add that, but I didn't feel comfortable passing judgement or nominating other categories.

Some of the other mofo's on here are much more knowledgeable then me on said categories. And probably on the categories already mentioned, but that is why I am letting people nominate on a particular category, up to 12 nominations, because that is how many noms I can put in a pole

For one, your nomination had merit and two when I have a pole for a particular category, you can have 12 nominations in a pole, so......
Speaking as a person who can be quite indecisive at times, having 12 options on the poll seems like too many. If you'd like all voters to have seen every film before voting, then that would also decrease the odds of people participating.

6-8 seems like a good number to me. I have no basis for that reasoning; it just feels right.

Speaking as a person who can be quite indecisive at times, having 12 options on the poll seems like too many. If you'd like all voters to have seen every film before voting, then that would also decrease the odds of people participating.

6-8 seems like a good number to me. I have no basis for that reasoning; it just feels right.
I don't actually intend on it getting that high but for certain categories like best animated picture of the 90's, I could easily see adding up to 12

Some snubs

The Master and Inside Llewyn Davis for 2010s Best Picture
There Will Be Blood and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for 2000s Best Picture
American Beauty for 1990s Best Picture
Paul Thomas Anderson for 2000s and 2010s Best Director
Philip Seymour Hoffman for 2010s Best Supporting Actor (The Master)
Add Her for Joaquin Phoenix along with The Master

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

The majority of that 1990s Supporting Actress Category makes me want to puke... here's a few suggestions:
Julianne Moore (Boogie Nights)
Lorraine Bracco (Goodfellas)
Uma Thurman (Pulp Fiction)
Judy Davis (Husbands and Wives)

Some snubs

There Will Be Blood and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for 2000s Best Picture
Thanks for the suggestions, they all hold merit, will add asap

Some snubs

Every single one of your noms was added, all of which I thought to add before but only wanted to put down 6 myself, so thank you. Let me know if you want to nominate anyone else.

Best foreign movie category maybe?
Started on that, leave the nom down on the page for the decade and I'll put it up on the list once I get 6 noms together

The majority of that 1990s Supporting Actress Category makes me want to puke... here's a few suggestions:
Julianne Moore (Boogie Nights)
Lorraine Bracco (Goodfellas)
Uma Thurman (Pulp Fiction)
Judy Davis (Husbands and Wives)

I agree, had trouble with that one, I added them all, but now I want to get rid of some for that year

So for now are you looking to compile nominations for each category, and then later you're going to open polls (or accept votes) to figure out which one should win?
Thanks for having to point that out. I added a better description at the top.

Do you think I should add the part about having seen every movie for that particular category before casting your vote?

I guess I could put the date of when each pole will be next to the category would help with organization and giving people a time line to see movies they have not seen yet.

This might just do nobody any good.
2010s only:

Glad to see Llewyn Davis get some love. It's my favorite of the last 7 years, followed closely by The Master.

I prefer Whiplash to La La Land (which probably isn't even my top 10 of 2016) though it's hard to deny how masterfully Chazelle announced himself in American cinema. I love his cinematic energy and style. I hope his Neil Armstrong movie takes him to more heady places.

I don't remember much of Warhorse. I think Lincoln is a much more deserving film from Señor Spielbergo.

I might the only person who wasn't head over heels about Anomalisa. Ive heard of people dismissing films over how the couldn't connect with the characters by this was the first time it had happened to me. I love Kaufman but this was maybe too far into his own mind and personality.

Winnie the Pooh is an overlooked gem.

I might substitute Jackson or Iñárritu for Kathryn Bigelow. Regardless of how you view the subjects of her recent films, I don't think you can deny she's at the forefront of socially conscious filmmaking. She's relevant as she's ever been. Detroit can't come soon enough.

I'd also add Edgar Wright there, maybe as an honorable mention. He's the geek filmmaker right now.

Oscar Isaac deserves to be on the leading role list. More so than Redmayne. He took one of the most unlikeable characters on page and made him endearing while proving himself a movie star of peerless talent.

Anyone else feel there's a much greater number of powerhouse performances from women. The 2010s are stacked with amazing displays of talent and depth. You could go a million ways with that category.

I don't get Eva on the supporting list. I haven't seen the 300 sequel but I doubt it's on the level of something like Nyong'o's work in 12 Years. She's also barely in Peculiar Children.

Foreign films: 2010

The Hunt
Victoria
Calvary
The Raid

Waltz with Bashir
Rec
Downfall
Oldboy
Irreversible
Battle Royale
Amelie

Life is Beautiful
Funny Games
Leon the Professional

2010s only:

Glad to see Llewyn Davis get some love. It's my favorite of the last 7 years, followed closely by The Master.

I prefer Whiplash to La La Land (which probably isn't even my top 10 of 2016) though it's hard to deny how masterfully Chazelle announced himself in American cinema. I love his cinematic energy and style. I hope his Neil Armstrong movie takes him to more heady places.

I don't remember much of Warhorse. I think Lincoln is a much more deserving film from Señor Spielbergo.

I might the only person who wasn't head over heels about Anomalisa. Ive heard of people dismissing films over how the couldn't connect with the characters by this was the first time it had happened to me. I love Kaufman but this was maybe too far into his own mind and personality.

Winnie the Pooh is an overlooked gem.

I might substitute Jackson or Iñárritu for Kathryn Bigelow. Regardless of how you view the subjects of her recent films, I don't think you can deny she's at the forefront of socially conscious filmmaking. She's relevant as she's ever been. Detroit can't come soon enough.

I'd also add Edgar Wright there, maybe as an honorable mention. He's the geek filmmaker right now.

Oscar Isaac deserves to be on the leading role list. More so than Redmayne. He took one of the most unlikeable characters on page and made him endearing while proving himself a movie star of peerless talent.

Anyone else feel there's a much greater number of powerhouse performances from women. The 2010s are stacked with amazing displays of talent and depth. You could go a million ways with that category.

I don't get Eva on the supporting list. I haven't seen the 300 sequel but I doubt it's on the level of something like Nyong'o's work in 12 Years. She's also barely in Peculiar Children.

Yeah, I need to take Eva Green off, definitely my most biased entry, shes one of my favorite actresses

ok, she's gone but I need an exceptional nom to fill the space
Chazelle is one of my favorites of the decade, the way he directs and writes is phenomenal, he just came into the 2010's with an explosion.

Warhorse didn't get that much recognition, but if you like animal horse movies you'll love it

And Winnie the Pooh is overlooked, I loved it and thought it was exceptional for the year it was made.

And I'll have to add some of the noms you suggested, I'll get right on it. Thanks

@Saunch

Foreign films: 2010

The Hunt
Victoria
Calvary
The Raid

Waltz with Bashir
Rec
Downfall
Oldboy
Irreversible
Battle Royale
Amelie

Life is Beautiful
Funny Games
Leon the Professional
Awesome list brohause

@HashtagBrownies
I added some of the lists but was unable to add the 90's, didn't have 6 with your and my list combined, not very good with foreign films of the 90's

Thought of some more

Fantastic Mr Fox for Best Animated of 2000s

Mulholland Drive for Best Picture, Best Director (David Lynch) and Best Actress (Naomi Watts) of 2000s

Thought of some more

Fantastic Mr Fox for Best Animated of 2000s

Mulholland Drive for Best Picture, Best Director (David Lynch) and Best Actress (Naomi Watts) of 2000s
Nice list, I thought of adding these to the original 6 but didn't so I'm glad they were added in by you
and I put them in