Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Yes it was terrible, but we're through and that's all that really matters with Cup football. It does show the paucity of United squad though and is a great example of why we won't win the league this year. OK, I know very few do actually think that, but the media have to create a narrative and as Liverpool and the rest are currently nowhere near City, it's been laid at United's feet to provide 'the challenge'. Two or three good buys in the summer though and there might be a genuine challenge next season. Of course, we might have to replace a couple of current first teamers (Pogba and Martial), so that might not be the case. Also we'll have to see what happens with Donny and Amad Diallo. If Donny can find a place in the team and Ole finds the right way to use him, that could be a good fix. Diallo is ripping it up in the reserves/under 23's but he's young and there's still a step up to first team regular. I would like a proper fix for the right wing though. It's been like this since Valencia was moved to right back.

My Darth Star is in for a service
I think that is why they are keeping tabs on Sancho.
It looks like Borussia Dortmund might be selling a fair chunk of their first team in the summer with Sancho and Haaland purported to be on the list.

Well last nights FA Cup game between Sheffield Utd and Bristol City was worse than the Man Utd v West Ham game!

Only players putting any effort in to earning their wage were Billy Sharp and Dave McGoldrick.

Chelsea v Barnsley tonight, third time lucky maybe?

Well last nights FA Cup game between Sheffield Utd and Bristol City was worse than the Man Utd v West Ham game!

Only players putting any effort in to earning their wage were Billy Sharp and Dave McGoldrick.

Chelsea v Barnsley tonight, third time lucky maybe?

Also Brewster. Crazy drop of form since his serious injury (when he was with us), which also kinda justifies Klopp selling him despite much of our fanbase being against it. But it's nice to see him still getting loads of support from the Sheffield United fans.

And, you should have watched the Everton Spurs match instead. Good fun.

Yes, the Everton/Spurs match was a classic FA Cup match.

I don't know if Dortmund need a new team as much as a new coach. But maybe it's just the end of this cycle for the team? A similar thing is happening at Liverpool, I think, though in that case I would be looking to move players on and bring in new blood.

Liverpool will need to refresh in midfield, Henderson and Thiago aren't getting any younger and Keita hasn't lived up to his reputation.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them make another move for Upemecano to go alongside VVK either.

Upamecano's agent is gonna have field day in the summer. I can't imagine the money that will be thrown at him, and I doubt we will match it. He would be a great signing, but now it depends on how Kabak plays in the next few months.

As for the midfield, I still have hopes for Kieta. Look what happened with Gundogan. Had his share of injuries initially and has now come through. Kieta is quality. Worth waiting for him.

The midfielders I expect leaving would be Gini (would be a miss) and Ox(who hasn't done a lot after this decent show in the first season in UCL). Curtis Jones has already taken up one place though.

Could well do. He's going somewhere this summer, I'd bet. Still think we should've done the deal in the past summer transfer window and just paid the premium. Kounde at Sevilla sounds like a quality younger defender, too. I've seen him play even less than Upemecano though, but those in the know seem to be pointing at those two as good potential targets for big spending clubs this summer.

I think Henderson is fine in midfield, it's just that he's not being played there. I'd be looking to move on at least one of the front 3 (Salah or Firmino or both). A settled and strong midfield protecting a defense with VVD and A.N. Other (a new defender or one of the younger ones) should stop a lot of Liverpool's current problems and mean that the wing backs can concentrate on going forwards (which is their strength as neither are great defenders, especially TAA) and a refreshed front 3 should get them looking more like the team of the last 2 years. but I don't think it'll get them back to their best, as that requires legs and I think that rebuilding is a different skill to creating a great team. That's Klopp's task and he'll need his boards backing.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Great game against Everton. Hard to feel bad about losing one of those. 3 of their goals were absolute class. (The penalty was super soft, which is a bit annoying, but think karma woulda handed them pens anyway )

Don’t think we’ll topple Man City’s winning run on sat, but I’ll take a touch more drama like that

Klopp should look to move Gomez to RB and play TAA as a winger.
They could do worse than try and prise James Ward Prowse away from Southampton.
He works hard, can play wing back/holding MF and is the best in the EPL, if not the world, in dead ball situations.

Apparently things are not all rosy at Spurs.
Some rumblings from senior players about Mourinho and fans not overly excited by his style of play.

Concussion subs now in play though so something positive happening.

Klopp should look to move Gomez to RB and play TAA as a winger.
They could do worse than try and prise James Ward Prowse away from Southampton.
He works hard, can play wing back/holding MF and is the best in the EPL, if not the world, in dead ball situations.
Moving an injury prone player at FB. Nope. Everytime he has played at FB, he has done well but got injured. Klopp demands a lot of the fullbacks. Besides Gomez has been brilliant when played alongside Virgil in the centre. I wouldn't want Gomez on the side, even if he is defensively a massive upgrade on Trent.

You are correct about Trent in midfield. He was a midfielder for under 18s and U23s. But I would keep him at FB. Once we get the likes of Hendo and Fabinho back in the midfield, our FBs will be covered better.

I wouldn't mind Ward Prowse (another player from Southampton! ). Personally though I would love us to sign Todd Cantwell. I don't know what kind of season he is having this term, cause I don't follow Championship. But when Norwich were in the Premier league, he looked special. Reminds me of Lallana sometimes. And he would be an ideal replacement for Gini.

This is how Chelsea defend their titles. I have gone past anger now, and I am laughing here. We dominated the game, and then made massive blunders.

Irrespective of that blunder for the Vardy goal, having a proper centre-back (Kabak) in the defence noticeably improved our fullbacks. The only positive there.

Thiago is no Xabi Alonso. Shouldn't expect him to be a DM. Play one of Philips or Davies with Kabak. Shift Hendo and Fabinho in midfield. Top 4 a proper challenge now. Fair play to Leicester. They took their chances.

At least you Liverpool fans can feel better today, Fulham just beat Everton 2-0 at Goodison Park.

And United dropped points. The petty man in me doesn't mind that.

On a side note, nice to see Maja get those goals. I remember him from the Sunderland documentary.

Great game against Everton. Hard to feel bad about losing one of those. 3 of their goals were absolute class. (The penalty was super soft, which is a bit annoying, but think karma woulda handed them pens anyway )

Don’t think we’ll topple Man City’s winning run on sat, but I’ll take a touch more drama like that

We lost but I was entertained, rather have this feeling than after the Brighton/Chelsea/Liverpool games

If West Ham keep up their run David Moyes looks a likely contender for manager of the season.
It is nice to see managers who were discarded by the bigger clubs doing well elsewhere proving they were good enough but weren't given time to show it.

Brendan Rodgers and David Moyes have done excellent jobs at their clubs and since Man Utd have given OGS time he has shown he can manage a top club.
People need to take Man City out of the equation when looking at the league, their squad and the money available to Pep will always make it hard for the other teams to compete against them.
OGS does need to replace Martial in my opinion, he is too inconsistent and he needs a calm head in the defence.

I agree about Moyes, but WHU's, lack of pedigree and a striker leads me to think that's unlikely. However, if there was ever to be a season where they finish top 4, this could well be it.

The odd thing about this lack of form for United is that we're still picking up points and a few of them have been wins too. It's not been like that for years, so while it's annoying to see us struggle or only play for 10 minutes here and there, there's only been one unexpected loss this year. And even that wasn't really a surprise considerin how the game went and the opposition (Sheffield United).

Still not convinced with Ole's tactics and selections against teams like Sheffield United (though the Arsenal game a few days later might've had something to do with that), Fulham or West Brom but he sees them in training and knows where they are.