24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I started La Dolce Vita today. It's going to take a few days to finish as I only managed 1/4 in one go.
Just like the director intended.

Just kidding, I do this sometimes too.

I do this a lot too. Kids I tell ya.
Just to clarify, I only managed 1/4 because I was bored to death. Otherwise, I too tend to watch long movies (~3h+) in two parts even if they're good (like Barry Lyndon).

Admittedly, I've struggled with Fellini in the past. I've seen 8 1/2 and La Dolce Vita, but I had trouble staying interested. I'm happy to revisit La Dolce Vita for this thread though. This viewing might be different. I also responded well to La Strada last year.

I was surprised to just see that I've seen 7 Fellini movies. I've liked most of them but it was La Dolce Vita that I really wanted to see again. I'd also like to see Nights of Cabiria again too.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Well 1 is his nom, another is in his top 10, and the other he saw within the last couple of months.
This. The rest of the films are new or rewatches I really need to do.

This. The rest of the films are new or rewatches I really need to do.
Nice. Like I said, I'm just impressed at the rate this is moving.

I might revisit Man from Nowhere today, but in the meantime, I will bring up something I wrote when I first saw it in 2018.

THE MAN FROM NOWHERE
(2010, Jeong-beom)

"You live only for tomorrow. The ones that live for tomorrow, get ****ed by the ones living for today... I only live for today. I'll show you just how ****ed up that can be."

The "revenge" sub-genre is very popular among studios and filmmakers. From Death Wish to Kill Bill, or Mad Max to John Wick, the search for payback for the death or harm of loved ones, highlighted by high doses of violence, is something that fuels the audience with a desire to see the bad guys get what's coming to them. But for every John Wick there's a Colombiana, or for every Death Wish, there's a Death Wish sequel, or remake. Fortunately, The Man from Nowhere is a breath of fresh air in what could be a tired sub-genre.

The Man from Nowhere follows Cha Tae-sik (Won Bin), a young man living a quiet live while running a pawnshop out of his apartment. His most frequent contact is with So-mi (Kim Sae-ron), a 10-year old neighbor who he reluctantly befriends because of her mother's addiction. But when the girl is kidnapped, Tae-sik sets out to rescue her and finds himself caught up in the crossfire of two rival gangs fighting for the organ harvesting market against the police.

The premise might sound tired and cliché, but the execution is not. Director Lee Jeong-beom takes his time to build the story and establish the characters, while keeping things moving at a nice pace. Things pick up mostly in the second half, with some kick-ass action setpieces and great fight choreographies. There's a particular continuous shot that will probably make you blink twice and go back.

But not everything is action. The performances from Bin and Sae-ron are pretty good, with the chemistry between the characters feeling honest. Bin manages to convey the tragic nature of Tae-sik, as we discover on the way, why he lives the way he lives, "only for today". The bad guys are well played, although there are so many that at some point, I got a little confused about who was who. Still, there are two or three standouts among the bad guys and henchmen, with one in particular stealing the show with a low-key, nuanced performance.

There is a bluff near the end that might feel like a bit of a cheat at first, but after the film ends, you understand where they came from, and how earned the moment is. The Man from Nowhere might not bring anything new to the table, but what it does, it does extremely well. I wouldn't mind rewatching this in the near future.

Grade:

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Antwone Fisher

A true hidden gem that shows that Denzel Washington isn't just a one trick pony. Not only can he act, he can direct an emotional story very well! And this is his best directed film for sure. He also does a great job acting in this film as Antwones navy psychiatrist.

But if I'm honest, this film is Derek Luke's spotlight with a completely superb performance as Antwone Fisher. He had to have made the real Antwone Fisher proud with the range of emotion he displayed. There are a lot of emotionally packed scenes that he knocked out of the park. My favorite being him revisiting Ms. Tate to see if he could get any information on his family. "I'm still standing. I'm still strong. Very powerful.

Great use of flashback scenes too to show the troubles that have brought Antwone where he is today yet made him a stronger man. It all comes full circle in a very emotionally packed ending. Glad the guy who had so much trouble through his first twentyish years of life finally found lights for his life to shine through, with a great girlfriend, the finding of his family and a new friend as well. Just works too well for me.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Probably my favorite movie that you've nominated. Though I've liked other noms of yours too.
Really have liked your last 3 noms for the generals. And this one I will still like too.

Really have liked your last 3 noms for the generals. And this one I will still like too.
One of your past noms that I really liked, L'Avventura, made me think of nominating La Dolce Vita. There was also another Fellini I had considered.

I'm starting to compile a future HOFs nom list. It's always tough to decide which way to turn.
I kind of feel the same way. There are a few so far on my list.

I'm starting to compile a future HOFs nom list. It's always tough to decide which way to turn.
You have given me about 10 options since I have been back. Start watching the right movies.