Why do some of you just quit watching a Movie?

Tools    

But, let's say for instance, you watch something with universal acclaim, like:

You don't turn the film off because of it's drawn out pace and the endless crying of the baby. You continue to witness what the filmmakers are trying to convey. THEN you can have an opinion on it.
Nothing has truly universal acclaim.

I used to think this way, but now it's like - Who cares? If you're not enjoying it and aren't engaged then you're not going to get out of it what the director wants you to anyway so you may as well move on. You can always come back to it later on when your tastes have changed, or you're in a better mood, or otherwise more receptive to it.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I'm completely random. I mean, i just don't even bother myself with storyline. I might even try watching backwards.

I rewatch tv shows backwards. It's great fun. You can see where you came from.

I agree with some of what you're saying but not with other things.

It's well within anyone's right to turn a movie off or close a book if that person is not feeling it. I am a practicing film maker and my own family has shut out my attempts at entertainment time and time again. It hurts at first but honestly, there's a responsibility of a film maker. They have 2 choices

1) be themselves and play by their own rules and hope for the best

or

2) conform and aim for total world domination where everyone loves you and watches your movie all the way through.

You putting references like Son of Mask or Kangaroo Jack is an obvious choice but there are other things to factor. I keep trying to explain how I walked out of 2 John Sayles films because I wasn't mentally equipped to hang in there. Now he is my favorite director. People grow and change, and honestly, how is it anyone's business or authority to determine if an entire film gets watched or not? It's not. It's just not. I mean, I totally understand what you are saying..to an extent. Yes, a film maker blows through all of the studio or their own money to labor over a picture, but that responsibility I mentioned includes dropping fragments early on. I've been challenged by films before and was smart enough to wait them out for a decent pay off, but I also have a good gauge for trash. People can always go back and try it again. And yes, I think it's OK to judge right away even if you turn a film off. You'd have to make one HELL of a film to indicate early enough that waiting for the prize isn't in vain. People aren't that dumb, generally. They've been around the block, so to speak. Usually a crap movie shows itself early on. Staying til the end is a luxury for the film maker's ego. But that's art mixed with commerce. It's a jungle out there lol.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I can endure watching a movie that I don't enjoy. Maybe I'm sharing with a date, family, or what have you. I can tolerate bad. But if I enter a movie for myself and am insulted, then I walk out. It's more like a matter of principle. I walked out watching a matinee of the modified Star Wars back in college when Han stepped on the tail of an under-textured plasticy CGI Jaba that had absolutely no business being on screen. That was pathetic IMO and so I left.

It's all subjective though, as I judge movies on like a sliding scale between capability and expectations. Or something.

I can endure watching a movie that I don't enjoy. Maybe I'm sharing with a date, family, or what have you. I can tolerate bad. But if I enter a movie for myself and am insulted, then I walk out. It's more like a matter of principle. I walked out watching a matinee of the modified Star Wars back in college when Han stepped on the tail of an under-textured plasticy CGI Jaba that had absolutely no business being on screen. That was pathetic IMO and so I left.

It's all subjective though, as I judge movies on like a sliding scale between capability and expectations. Or something.
You did the right thing!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

You did the right thing!

Rofl.

Nothing has truly universal acclaim.

Maybe some paraphrasing might help. At least; 'Near Universal Acclaim.' Because Eraserhead has become somewhat of a cult classic, probably not the levels of the aforementioned films though. 'Highly Acclaimed' would probably have been better, when I saw 'Boyhood.' At the time, It had Near Universal Acclaim, It has definitely died down though.

Those are not universally acclaimed either. Nearly so? Maybe. Highly acclaimed? Sure.
But if you watch one of those and have the urge to turn it off, then you're not getting out of it what you should anyway and there's little point in finishing it.

It has defiantly died down though.
Definitely. Not that I'm agreeing with you, just please use the correct word.

Defiantly means to show open resistance or bold disobedience.

I'm in a strip club and some cracked out dancer comes over to me looking like an ex bodybuilder and wants me to pay for a lap dance while she is blocking my sun. I figure, OK, I'll bite. So she starts doing the worst dance I've ever seen. It's definitely a "visual medium", that's for sure. I have 2 choices, I can stick around and risk choking on my own vomit or I can cut my losses, leave the 2 dollar bill on the bench and walk way, never to return.

If I risk the vomit choke I may be rewarded with a prize. Truth is, I haven't seen her breasts yet. So far it's strictly buns and shoulder work. There's a chance her breasts will make everything worthwhile if I can just suffer a little while longer. I figure 10 more minutes, tops.

Let's say you're watching a movie, you have two choices and there's an hour and fifty minutes left out of the 30 minutes you've invested, so far:

choice 1: go do something productive

choice 2: roll the dice and continue squirming.

Then the dancer kicks down your door and you're trapped. You vomit, start choking, knocking over furniture and trip over an end table to crash through a window, falling to your death.

Now you can't even complain about it online. You're just dead.

I'm in a strip club and some cracked out dancer comes over to me looking like an ex bodybuilder and wants me to pay for a lap dance while she is blocking my sun. I figure, OK, I'll bite. So she starts doing the worst dance I've ever seen. It's definitely a "visual medium", that's for sure. I have 2 choices, I can stick around and risk choking on my own vomit or I can cut my losses, leave the 2 dollar bill on the bench and walk way, never to return.

If I risk the vomit choke I may be rewarded with a prize. Truth is, I haven't seen her breasts yet. So far it's strictly buns and shoulder work. There's a chance her breasts will make everything worthwhile if I can just suffer a little while longer. I figure 10 more minutes, tops.

Let's say you're watching a movie, you have two choices and there's an hour and fifty minutes left out of the 30 minutes you've invested, so far:

choice 1: go do something productive

choice 2: roll the dice and continue squirming.

Then the dancer kicks down your door and you're trapped. You vomit, start choking, knocking over furniture and trip over an end table to crash through a window, falling to your death.

Now you can't even complain about it online. You're just dead.
Wait... did you just compare a watching a film, to that?......

But if you watch one of those and have the urge to turn it off, then you're not getting out of it what you should anyway and there's little point in finishing it.

Explain to me what the point is of finishing a film that isn't engaging you.

Let's say for example, the time I watched 'Gladiator.' I wasn't too engaged in that movie, like at all. But I finished it all the way through and It was a very decent:
I honestly had to watch it all the way through for me to have an honest opinion about it. Because that's (in my opinion) how you watch films.

Another film I REALLY wasn't engaged in was 'Airplane.' I thought it was lame, unfunny, and pretty stupid. But I finished it all the way through. In my humble opinion, it was a lackluster

Let's say for example, the time I watched 'Gladiator.' I wasn't too engaged in that movie, like at all. But I finished it all the way through and It was a very decent:
I honestly had to watch it all the way through for me to have an honest opinion about it. Because that's (in my opinion) how you watch films.

Another film I REALLY wasn't engaged in was 'Airplane.' I thought it was lame, unfunny, and pretty stupid. But I finished it all the way through. In my humble opinion, it was a lackluster
Those aren't really explanations. So the point is that you might, maybe like it by the end? Yeah, not worth it.

I tried watching Rocky a couple of years ago. Hated it. Gave up after about 45 minutes. Later said as much in a thread about movies that "everybody loves" and was basically told that my opinion was invalid. So I watched the whole thing.

Guess what? Still hated it.

Also, saying that it's okay to have an opinion of certain films without having seen them all the way through, but not other films is elitist and hypocritical. Either it's okay to judge a film that you haven't seen in its entirety or it isn't.

Those aren't really explanations. So the point is that you might, maybe like it by the end? Yeah, not worth it.

I tried watching Rocky a couple of years ago. Hated it. Gave up after about 45 minutes. Later said as much in a thread about movies that "everybody loves" and was basically told that my opinion was invalid. So I watched the whole thing.

Guess what? Still hated it.
Ah, now I'm starting to catch on maybe. It's a risk to watch something you don't like, in hope you'll like it in the end. Sure, you might see something you like the very next second, but it's (highely) unlikely.

Also, saying that it's okay to have an opinion of certain films without having seen them all the way through, but not other films is elitist and hypocritical. Either it's okay to judge a film that you haven't seen in its entirety or it isn't.
I don't quite get this post. Can you elaborate?

I don't quite get this post. Can you elaborate?
The OP contradicts himself and is a hypocrite.
For example:
a film is suppose to be seen all the way through for you to have a legitimate opinion on it
Again, If it's something like 'Scary Movie 5,' hell yeah, that's a rotten piece of trash that you don't need to use your valuable time to sit all the way through to have an opinion on it.
Like it or not, Scary Movie 5 is art. I don't see how you can say "Oh you have to watch ALL of this piece of art to have an opinion" but "It's totally okay to judge this other piece of art without seeing it all." Basically these statements simply come down to the OP liking one film and disliking the other.

Ah, now I'm starting to catch on maybe. It's a risk to watch something you don't like, in hope you'll like it in the end. Sure, you might see something you like the very next second, but it's (highely) unlikely.

Seriously though, there are plenty of films that I hate that have aspects that I like. That doesn't stop me from hating the film as a whole. However, to my knowledge I have never gone from wanting to shut a movie off near the beginning to liking it in the end.

Also, saying that it's okay to have an opinion of certain films without having seen them all the way through, but not other films is elitist and hypocritical.
Not necessarily, I've seen Cat in the Hat, Kangaroo Jack, and Son of the Mask all the way through. (Please, don't ask why.)

And I can guarantee you that all 3 are worthless pieces of s**t with no redeeming qualities, and It's okay to stop them If you don't want to watch them, because (in my opinion) they're not worth your time. I'm not going to tell you "you have to watch those films all the way worth to have a LEGIT opinion on them." But if it's a film that you planned on seeing, and you don't feel like sitting through it because "It didn't engage you," I just recommend to see it all the way through. In fact, in regards to Rocky, I'm glad you sat through all of it, It was worth it, and your opinion is WAY more than valid because of it. Congrats.

Also, not a lot of people on this site are fond of 'Interstellar.' But they sat through the entire thing and saw it for it's pros and cons. By pointing out their perceived flaws in the entirety of film, I can respect their opinions, and take them way more seriously because of it.