The year 2022 in film - Ranked.

→ in
Tools    

Pretty much identical assessment of The Invitation. Premise and the build is good, however the 3rd act is absolutely the weakest part of the movie.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
53. Marry Me

The second-best movie that stars J.Lo and Owen Wilson.

Famous singer Kat is about to marry her long-time boyfriend on stage in front of millions. Just before she goes on stage a video is released of her boyfriend cheating on her. While on stage, she breaks up with him and agrees to marry Charlie, a random guy standing in the crowd holding a "Marry Me" sign instead. Will they eventually fall in love or will this 'facade' crumble quickly?

Yes, the premise of this movie is a joke. It shouldn't work as a movie, but it somehow does and that is really because of the chemistry between Wilson and Lopez. There is nothing new here and it follows the rom-com road map to a T.

It at least realizes how absurd the concept is from the get-go and the added element of Wilson having a daughter helps add some charm to the story. By the end of the film, you realize it was fun, but don't feel the need to ever re-visit.

Suspect's Reviews

52. Strange World

An imaginative world that suffers from a rather weak story.

While on an adventure with his explorer father, Searcher Clade finds a sustainable energy source that can save their village. His father disagrees and continues on, but he disappears and never returns. 25 years later, Searcher has a family of his own and farms the energy source that powers their entire village. When a friend tells him that the energy source is dying, they venture out to find out why and discover a new world under theirs. Searcher now finds himself on his first adventure since the disappearance of his father.

Strange World has some beautiful visuals and feels like a Pandora -esque world where we are introduced to strange creatures, vibrant colours, and a dangerous world we feel the need to explore. It's just a shame that the story elements falter and the film feels like it is simply drifting through until the end.

The film doesn't have an antagonist and I couldn't help but feel like the story would have had higher stakes if it had one. I'm not sure how they would incorporate that into the story, but their battling of the elements wasn't exciting nor did it feel engaging enough to make me worry about the characters. I also don't remember any significant sequences, which is a shame because it had ample opportunities.

The voice-over work for the most part is pretty dull, with the sole exception of Dennis Quaid, who breathes lives into Searcher's father, Jaeger. I give the film some credit for having interracial and gay relationships, a step forward for a big Disney film.

51. The Adam Project

After he crash lands in the year 2022, Adam must find his younger 12-year-old self and team up to save their future.

A typical Ryan Reynolds performance in a generic sci/fi type of film. There is a pretty good father/son dynamic to this that manages to tug on some emotional beats that one would not expect and the special effects are pretty good for the most part. The one except is one of the worst de-aging character effects I've probably ever seen. I had to pause the film from laughter.

The Adam Project is a perfect example of a film that feels good while you watch it, but then you forget about it the moment you turn it off. There is nothing spectacular on the screen but I didn't hate that I watched it for the 100 min run time.

Mark Ruffalo plays the father and Jennifer Garner plays the mother, so if you fan theory that this is a sequel to 13 going on 30, it elevates the material.

50. I Want You Back

Peter and Emma thought they were in perfect relationships, but when their significant others dump them it triggers depression. They connect over their drama and partner up to try and destroy their exes relationships. Peter becomes best friends with Emma's ex and Emma tries to seduce the man Peter's ex dumped him for. Do you expect them to fall in love with each other in the process????

Another rom-com that has some pretty good stars that have good chemistry that elevates the material. Charlie Day and Jenny Slate are not great people in this story, but their comedic charm gives the film a pass.

Scott Eastwood and Charlie Day were excellent "bros" and I kind of wanted them to stay together in the end.

In 2022, the movie industry didn't surprise me; you can count the really good movies on the fingers of your hand. The only thing I remember is this: Top Gun: Maverick and Banshee Inisherina.

49. Minions: The Rise of Gru

Gru is a young kid looking to join a supervillain group. With the help of his little minions of course.

I have seen the original Minions, probably a dozen times. That's what happens when you have children, once the movie is over, you just put it immediately back on. You know what...I didn't hate it. Something about those goofy little yellow guys speaking gibberish had some charm.

So yes, we just had to see this movie in theatres. But this time around, it misses the mark a tad. The animation is still vibrant enough to capture children's eyes, but my kids didn't laugh as much this time.

This entry lacks the charm and laughs that made most of the previous movies, Despicable Me included, a good watch. The film showcases some decent action sequences and is still silly enough to probably entertain the young ones. I guess my kids just have a pretentious taste.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
49. Minions: The Rise of Gru

Gru is a young kid looking to join a supervillain group. With the help of his little minions of course.

I have seen the original Minions, probably a dozen times. That's what happens when you have children, once the movie is over, you just put it immediately back on. You know what...I didn't hate it. Something about those goofy little yellow guys speaking gibberish had some charm.

So yes, we just had to see this movie in theatres. But this time around, it misses the mark a tad. The animation is still vibrant enough to capture children's eyes, but my kids didn't laugh as much this time.

This entry lacks the charm and laughs that made most of the previous movies, Despicable Me included, a good watch. The film showcases some decent action sequences and is still silly enough to probably entertain the young ones. I guess my kids just have a pretentious taste.

I haven't seen The Rise of Gru yet, but I love Despicable Me and the other Minions movies. I've seen the each of the previous Minions movies numerous times, and I don't have kids. You can use your kids as an excuse, but all you need is to be young at heart to enjoy these movies.

48. Thor: Love & Thunder

Gorr the God Butcher is killing Gods and Thor must stop him. Jane Foster is back in the mix again.

A film that had me laughing in the theatre, but cold once I left. Waititi seemed more concerned with the jokes than the story.

Christian Bale steals the show as a great villain, that ultimately does nothing. It was fun seeing him done up in the makeup and give 100 percent. Yet, his name is the God Butcher, he kills maybe one or two?

The film looks gorgeous and was funny but in the end, felt like a nothing movie due to the lack of stakes in the story. It takes no chances and plays everything super safe. As a 4th entry in the Thor series, I think we are entitled to something more than a fluff of a movie.

I haven't seen The Rise of Gru yet, but I love Despicable Me and the other Minions movies. I've seen the each of the previous Minions movies numerous times, and I don't have kids. You can use your kids as an excuse, but all you need is to be young at heart to enjoy these movies.
I mean...I quote the Minions movie to my kids all the time, hahaha.

47. Terrifier 2

Art the Clown is back, raised from the dead for reasons. He's on a killing spree, more violent and bloody than previous efforts.

Terrifier had a gruesome sequence involving hanging a woman upside down and sawing her down the middle. It made enough waves to be memorable despite being a meandering snore for most of the run time.

With the sequel, the run time is obnoxiously longer, almost 2 1/2 hours. It goes for broke in terms of gore and violence. It has a lot more blood, but nothing done in this film met the depravity of the aforementioned sequence. The internet hype of vomiting and passing out in theatres set the bar too high for a movie like this.

We get a semblance of a story this time, not a great one, but one that shows more effort put forth. Art is still creepy and an after-the-credits sequence sets up another entry that will probably be even more weird and out there.

46. Uncharted

#NotMyNathanDrake am I right?

Nathan Drake teams up with a new mentor, Sully to find the greatest buried treasure. Adventure awaits.

A lot of talk about Tom Holland in this role. I get it, they want a young guy they can hang a franchise on and he's the hot new young guy who can hold a franchise. Does he pull it off? Meh. He doesn't have the charm or swagger one would expect, nor the quit witted one-liners. Don't get me started on Marky Mark, sans stache.

Yet, I find myself being a sucker for adventure films. Find a clue here, takes you over there. Throw in the low grade bad guys and numerous henchmen and you have yourself a fun time watching the movies.

The film does seem to ignore physics from time to time and the on-going backstabbing gets stale rather early. The film sets up the continuation of the series and I'm not angry about it. I'd watch another.

45. Lightyear

I find myself thinking less and less of this movie as the time goes by. Maybe it is placed too high, but Lightyear did the unthinkable and it entertained me. I went in totally expecting to hate the movie and Chris Evans, but the time jumping space story had enough heart and action to thrill me for the running time.

The Space Rangers crash land on a hostile planet and buzz takes it upon himself to fly through wormhole after wormhole to try and find a way home. What takes only a few years for him, is decades for everyone else.

This is the movie that Andy saw when he was a kid. Pixar's output has been so good for so long that when a movie that is decent comes along, people tend to crap on it. Lightyear is decent, it won't win any awards and it certainly didn't make me laugh, but the film is extremely well animated with great action set pieces.

Now I want to see the film where the actor has a contract dispute and they hire someone else to voice the toy.

44. The Gray Man

The Gray Man discovers secrets from his government that immediately makes him enemy #1. With a skilled killer on his trail, our protagonist must use his wits and skills with a gun to survive.

This film gets by on the charms of Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans. If this film had two different actors in these roles, it'd be rated a lot lower. Overly long with CGI barfed action sequences that have poor editing, The Gray Man is an overbudgeted mess at times.

At other times, it's a sleek action thriller with a chillingly funny performance from Evans and a charmingly calculated killer performance from Gosling. Ana de Armas has a supporting role and she kicks as much ass as the men, helping the film elevate above the by the numbers directed action.

How many drone shots do we need? How many badly done CGI smoke scenes are they using to cloud the scene? The more I talk about this movie the more I want to throw it down the list a couple spots.

43. Something From Tiffany's

A woman receives the surprise of a lifetime when her boyfriend proposes to her on Christmas Day. The only problem was, he didn't intend to. He bought her earrings at the same time another man bought an engagement ring. A mix up between the boxes meant one man got the ring, the other got the earrings. Let's see the romance spark between two people as they try to navigate this oh so funny mix-up.

Not a film I was expecting to like as much as I did and I think that's because of the adorable Zoey Deutch. She seems to navigate romantic comedies extremely well exhibiting a natural charm that not many people can replicate. I like her persona on screen and her chemistry with her leading men are pretty great too. Kendrick Sampson is the co-star here and while he doesn't do as well as Glenn Powell in Deutch's better rom-com film Set it Up, he does enough to make the romance believable.

I was worried that the film would try to make us hate Shay Mitchell's character, but it does the mature thing and lets the characters grow to know what they want and what they don't want. She doesn't need to become the villain for the relationship to not work. We do get to hate on the boyfriend who is clearly not good enough for Deutch and doesn't even try to make things right when she assumes the proposal is real.

Laughs, charm and hitting those oh-so predictable rom com beats make Tiffany's a surprise charmer.

42. Run Sweetheart Run

This was a surprise film for me that came out of nowhere. I had no idea what it was about, nor had I seen any promotional material for it. I decided to hit play on Prime one day and then sat through a wild ride that had me guessing left right and centre at what the hell was going on.

When a woman is asked by her boss to take out a client to a nice dinner because he was double booked, she dolls herself up and enjoys a wonderful time with a charming man. He offers a few more drinks at his place and the night turns violent. She finds herself running through the streets of LA to survive a man on the hunt for her blood.

This film is odd and off the walls. It takes place all in one night, so it fits in a certain sub-genre wheel house that I appreciate. When things can't get any worse, they do and they do to extreme levels. If I were her...I'd spend the entire night in a dog kennel until I could figure something out.

This is a thriller with horror elements. It breaks the fourth wall by having the man deny us entry into his home before he unleashes violence on her. There is a reveal moment to her, that we never get to see. Interesting directorial choices that I think help make the film a bit more memorable than it might have been.

I wish it explained things a bit clearer. I felt like they took elements from different ideas and blended them together for their own concoction. This isn't a bad thing, but one I wish they dived just a hair bit deeper into.