What is the Greatest War Movie of All Time?

Tools    

What war do you think has inspired the Best War Movies?
0%
0 votes
Past Wars (American Revolution, Roman Empire, Star Wars, etc.)
3.03%
1 votes
Civil War
84.85%
28 votes
World War II
0%
0 votes
Korean War
9.09%
3 votes
Vietnam War
0%
0 votes
Persian Gulf War
3.03%
1 votes
Future Wars (Red Dawn, the Terminator, etc.)
33 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Originally Posted by Ezikiel
Yeah moviemaker, I also love Seinfeld and I love your signiture, I dont think you should change it
Thank you.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
Sorry to make you angry ma'am, but I'm a big fan of Seinfeld, and I like the way my signature is, thank you very much.
If you meant that to be snippy...chill out. Cait was being very nice about it and I agree with her. It just seems like you want more attention drawn to your signature than what you're actually saying in your post.

I must become Caligari..!
I think this is very silly poll. i dont think the greatness of a war film should be gauged on what one it is set in. I love some WWII movies but so many are S*it, I Love Three Kings but hated all that mid 90's Ra Ra the flag Crap. I think this go's for every Paticular war's movies

P.S
Change the F*cking Siggy moviemaker, you imature brat.

P.P.S
I love sinefeld and BF42 to

P.P.P.S
you cant be serios about Charlie Heston thing can you?
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Yes. You really should see those movies/mini-series. And how do you get Top 3? I only see 2.
Will do.

And I was REALLY tired when I wrote that. It is now changed.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Originally Posted by Hondo333
I think this is very silly poll. i dont think the greatness of a war film should be gauged on what one it is set in. I love some WWII movies but so many are S*it, I Love Three Kings but hated all that mid 90's Ra Ra the flag Crap. I think this go's for every Paticular war's movies

P.S
Change the F*cking Siggy moviemaker, you imature brat.

P.P.S
I love sinefeld and BF42 to

P.P.P.S
you cant be serios about Charlie Heston thing can you?

P.S.
No, won't happen. I appolgize for any inconvience, people.

P.P.S.
Do you? What's your favorite episode? And I'm glad you like BF1942. It's such a great game, isn't it?

P.P.P.D.
No, I'm not. 'Cuz if he was president, you and I both know that the world would be taken over by apes. Sorry for the racism, Kong.

P.S.
No, won't happen. I appolgize for any inconvience, people.
I think you are missing the big picture here and that’s really a pity… eventually the members will get tired of trying to filter through the signature to find your posts and when that happens… they will just start ignoring your posts completely… and somehow I don’t think that is what you want at all… And for the record, your signature was not the only one I meant… marlowe203’s and Ezikiel’s are also too long although the latter’s is not as hard to distinguish from his post as yours and marlowe’s are…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Maybe just a little bit shorter.....(Cait has a point)...Maybe just have smaller print.....or shorten it to a few quotes....

See you soon, id..." "id..." "ids."
1. Saving Private Ryan
2.Apocalypse Now
3.Schindler's List
4.Black Hawk Down

Tuco: But if you miss you had better miss very well. Whoever double-crosses me and leaves me alive, he understands nothing about Tuco.

there's a frog in my snake oil
This is a most bizarre idea for a thread. Wars as inspirations for movies. Yes, i can't WAIT for the exciting glorifying adventures that might come out of the current mindless, unjustified and offensive war going on now.
What will we see? The human face of men sent off under false pretences to save their darling sweetheart Oil-ivia and teach those evil arabs how to live in US-controlled-freedom. Then, in the terror-raising conclusion, we can watch as our heroes discuss how their goverment removed the original iraqi-chosen government and funded Saddam and friends into power, and then tried to fund their mutual annihilation with Iran, before falsely connecting them to international terrorism and WMDs capable of attacking anyone. Oh, no, wait, the happy ending. Yes, then they go off and deal with people who genuinely do have WMDs that threaten the world, and rule in blissful dominance ever-after. Amen.

Nice timing wingnut. Sorry if it's off topic, but it's a particularly tasteless topic. You just don't know how "up in arms" everyone else is about this war, otherwise you wouldn't raise such a flippant and badly-timed take on wars' place in the world. Yeah, they're there to inspire rip-roaring action entertainment (at least they show the blood in the imaginary versions eh - unlike the news eh?)

Bring on the disagreeing replies - and i'll tell you why you've swallowed lies.

An-absolutely-apopleptic-Golgot (who's just learned Britain is now firmly believed to be synonymous with america in most internationals' eyes. Oh goodie, more bombs. Just what we need )

EDIT: Three Kings was top notch

You've got to be kidding me. He's not supporting any war, let alone the current one (which isn't even an option in the poll, I might add). There isn't a damn thing wrong with this thread, Gol. Do you have some sort of hyperbolic comment quota to meet?

If your agenda is so rabidly out of control so as to prevent you from even discussing war-related movies, then perhaps it's time you took a deep breath and counted to ten. Or, better yet, ten thousand.

if you only knew how the anger is not just mine
(and if only you and others would acknowledge how justified it is)

i agree it's totally inappropriate - but my blood is indeed boiling tonight -

to my long-term enraged mind this is not the time for this thread

and i nominated three kings as a good film

Originally Posted by Golgot
if you only knew how the anger is not just mine
(and if only you and others would acknowledge how justified it is)

i agree it's totally inappropriate - but my blood is indeed boiling tonight -

to my long-term enraged mind this is not the time for this thread

and i nominated three kings as a good film
Dear lord Golgot......again?

(BTW, I'm almost done with my Nature of Evil reply! I've taken a LONG time to meditate on what my true feelings are, and I'm almost there! Sorry for the long wait...I really appreciate the help)

I think that saving private ryan was exceptional, even though it may have over shadowed some similar goodness from "the thin red line" cos im pretty sure they were both released kinda closely.

Im not sure if you could call this a war movie, but it was based in WWII, shindlers list was awesomely powerful, great work, liam neeson is most definately the man. (spielberg too)

Schindler's List is my pick for best war movie ever, but most people here don't consider that to be one.... .....shame....

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
Dear lord Golgot......again?

(BTW, I'm almost done with my Nature of Evil reply! I've taken a LONG time to meditate on what my true feelings are, and I'm almost there! Sorry for the long wait...I really appreciate the help)
when the problem isn't going to go away - it seems worth harping on about

(Glad if i could be of some help - looking forward to it)

On films:

Apocalypse now told us something about "the horror". Now we're teaching ourselves about terror - the hard way.

I'm surprised no-ones mentioned 'The Great Escape'.
'Schindler's list was meant to be during the war so I consider that a war film too.

My three then would be ..........

1. The Great Escape
2. Schindler's list
3. Glory

I have never seen The Great Escape....well all of it anyway...I'm make a point to soon.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Talking 'bout The Great Escape, how about the french A Man Escaped? I love that film. But maybe it is more of a prison film than a war film, even though it is set during WWII. You should check it out though if you haven't allready. A Man Escaped by Robert Bresson from 1956.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.