What are you currently binge-watching?

Tools    

Pieces of Her (2022)

Didn't "binge" the 8 part series, but watched it in 3 nights.

This thriller drama series stars Toni Collette, Bella Heathcore, and the venerable Terry O'Quinn, among others. It's described as an American series set in America, but the only thing American about it is Netflix. Surprisingly it was shot entirely in Australia with Australian and English actors. The look was American and there was no trace of Brit or Ozzie accents.

A young woman and her mother are eating at a diner when suddenly a mass shooter emerges who shoots several people and threatens the daughter who he mistakes for a police officer. When the mother jumps in to protect her daughter, she is stabbed through her hand, but manages to in turn stab the shooter in the throat, killing him. The daughter is flabbergasted at her mother's actions and abilities.

What follows is a plot that gradually reveals the mother is not who the daughter thought she was, and she has had a mysterious and possibly criminal past since before the daughter was born.

The series grabs the viewer right away, and keeps one glued to the story for the first 3-4 episodes. It then drags a little in the middle, but ends up pretty satisfactorily. There's a little too much mother/daughter relationship angst which will appeal more to female viewers. Yet the story keeps one engaged throughout.

Both Collette and Heathcore turn in fine performances. The reliable O'Quinn turns up in a nice role. The rest of the cast do creditable work, but nothing special. The sole American actor, Omari Hardwick, does his best but his role as ex-husband to Collette isn't very believable.

It's a decent series which will hold your interest. Available free on Netflix.

Doc's rating: 6/10

Pieces of Her (2022)
Was never planning to watch this, but it’s now in my Netflix watchlist. My interest has been piqued.

Just wrapped up season 3 of The Boys. It's been a lot of fun watching just how far they're willing to run with the idea of bad superheroes. Surprisingly mature themes for a show that wallows in the gutter as often as it does. Great cast and acting all around but Homelander, the Captain America/Superman leader of the "Supes", is one of the best bad guy characters ever. Total nutjob. It's funny, it's disgusting (avoid doing cocaine with Termite), it's a blast!

Also just finished Last of Us and eh - it was okay. Biggest issue was the character Ellie, who came across as pretty unlikable so by the time we get to the finale it didn't hit as hard as it should have. Bella wasn't right for the role and the role wasn't written very well, imo. She was very different from the game character whereas Pedro did a really nice job as Joel and is very similar to the game. Certain parts felt rushed (Psycho Town) and the two throw away episodes did nothing for me. We made it about half way through the shopping mall episode before we gave up and bailed.

Also just finished Last of Us and eh - it was okay. Biggest issue was the character Ellie, who came across as pretty unlikable so by the time we get to the finale it didn't hit as hard as it should have. Bella wasn't right for the role and the role wasn't written very well, imo. She was very different from the game character whereas Pedro did a really nice job as Joel and is very similar to the game. Certain parts felt rushed (Psycho Town) and the two throw away episodes did nothing for me. We made it about half way through the shopping mall episode before we gave up and bailed.
Why do the two leads have to be similar to the game (which I’ve never seen)? It’s television not a game. To me Bella was perfect. As she grew on Joel so she grew on we the audience.

It’s not the greatest show I’ve ever seen & I won’t watch it again, but the two leads made it for me. Both very convincing as two misfits trying to survive in a dangerous dystopian environment.

Succession. Already watched the first three seasons but we're rewatching the whole thing before diving into the final season.
I’m two episodes into the final season. Enjoying it.

Why do the two leads have to be similar to the game (which I’ve never seen)? It’s television not a game. To me Bella was perfect. As she grew on Joel so she grew on we the audience.

It’s not the greatest show I’ve ever seen & I won’t watch it again, but the two leads made it for me. Both very convincing as two misfits trying to survive in a dangerous dystopian environment.

They don't have to be similar to the game. Make whatever show you want, they certainly do that often enough, but if they make significant alterations from the source don't be surprised if folks familiar with the source don't agree with or like the changes you made. For me, TV Ellie was a little too smart assed, f-bomby and not as sympathetic as the game version. That was enough for me to not really like this version of her.

It's really no different than a book reader being annoyed when they make changes from a book. Have you ever read a book then watched a movie/tv show and thought "That isn't anything like what I pictured!" and felt a little let down? If you haven't read the book then you don't care about the changes because you don't know about the changes, but if you have (read the book), then you do. If the show works for you, it works for you. I liked the source material a bit more.

You ready? You look ready.
Just finished watching Deadwood

And now I’m watching House of Cards

EDIT: The only binge I ever regret was Fringe. God that was a waste
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Just finished watching Deadwood

And now I’m watching House of Cards

EDIT: The only binge I ever regret was Fringe. God that was a waste
Loved HOC. British version (older) good too.

Muppets Mayhem, I have 3 episodes of the first and only season left.

Masters Of The Air. I just started watching it but I like it. I like to relax and at the same time watch different movies or series. Therefore, for me the best site for watching movies is this one https://www.0123movie.day/ it gives the opportunity to watch a lot of movies and TV series of different genres, languages and countries for free. It offers a user-friendly interface and quick search for movies and TV series, which makes it attractive to many users.

Sea-Patrol

Just starting the 5th and final season, to finish it off

I thought I was doing pretty well having watched the first eight episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Then I checked the total series count and it's 90 episodes. So this definitely isn't going to be a quick in and out. But having already seen a respectable chunk of the series run it's well worth it.